Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I'm in Istanbul for 5 days and am couchsurfing while there.

What are some of the top things I need to do? What's a good (and inexpensive) turkish bath for a single guy? I know a few of the baths are for couples and whatnot.

My list thus far:

Blue Mosque
Grand Bazaar
Takism Square
Ortakoy (night life)
Hagia Sophia (Ayasofya) - $13
Istanbul Archaeology Museum (Arkeoloji Müzesi) - $8
Church of St. Savior in Chora $6
Topkapı Palace $10
You have a good start.

Here's what I'm going to say about Topkapi. It was probably the most stunning "compound" I visited in Istanbul. Why? Pay the extra $15 to go into the Sultan's Harem. It's a 400+ room place where the walls are lined with royal blue tiles and there's gold fireplaces and mirrors everywhere. It also has a huge gold frame bed and the biggest couch you'll ever see.

There's a spice market right near the Grand Bazaar. Definitely go into that. Don't forget to go to the Hippodrome right outside of the Blue Mosque. There's another Bazaar near there called the Arasta Bazaar (outdoors) and is pretty cool.

I recommend going to Beyoglu district for nightlife too and Taksim Square. Go to Istiklal Avenue for sure.

For Turkish Baths (Hammams)...amazing. Really, amazing. I went to Gedikpasa in Fatih which was pretty decent. It's like $30 for the works and you'll feel like a newborn baby afterwards. If you want to splurge, then there's a stunning one next to the Aya Sofya called the...Aya Sofya Hammam. My friend went there and said it was good. The staff let me tour inside and it's pretty ridiculous. Gedikpasa has been operating since 1475 too, and Aya Sofya Hammam from around 1550.

http://www.gedikpasahamami.com/

I would also suggest taking a little cruise down the Bosphorous. Pretty cheap and it's pretty stunning. We stopped near the Black Sea to see Yoros Castle. It was a hike (steep hills), but cool and got to see the mouth of the Black Sea.

If you want to smoke a Hookah (nargile), then scope out this place called Erenler Nargile ve cay bahçesi a little south of the Grand Bazaar. A little hard to find, but basically go onto Ordu Cd to find it. I don't ever remember there being signs there, but it's almost like it's in a 17th century Mosque. From the street you can see the workers making the charcoal if you look in..it's kind of like a tunnel. Walk back and voila..tons of people. Open til 2am, pretty local. My suggestion is to buy a pack of kleenex from a little kid selling it on the streets. The toilets in this place are squat toilets with no toilet paper. Unless you want to use the thing of water and your hand, I highly recommend doing this. Most places are not like this, but you just never know..

Istanbul is an amazing city. Really ridiculous with the history and things to see. It is really easily one of the greatest cities on earth. People have no idea what they're missing.

Last edited by marothisu; 12-04-2012 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
OH I am so envious!

Hope you had a great time OP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You have a good start.

Here's what I'm going to say about Topkapi. It was probably the most stunning "compound" I visited in Istanbul. Why? Pay the extra $15 to go into the Sultan's Harem. It's a 400+ room place where the walls are lined with royal blue tiles and there's gold fireplaces and mirrors everywhere. It also has a huge gold frame bed and the biggest couch you'll ever see.

There's a spice market right near the Grand Bazaar. Definitely go into that. Don't forget to go to the Hippodrome right outside of the Blue Mosque. There's another Bazaar near there called the Arasta Bazaar (outdoors) and is pretty cool.

I recommend going to Beyoglu district for nightlife too and Taksim Square. Go to Istiklal Avenue for sure.

For Turkish Baths (Hammams)...amazing. Really, amazing. I went to Gedikpasa in Fatih which was pretty decent. It's like $30 for the works and you'll feel like a newborn baby afterwards. If you want to splurge, then there's a stunning one next to the Aya Sofya called the...Aya Sofya Hammam. My friend went there and said it was good. The staff let me tour inside and it's pretty ridiculous. It's been operating since 1475 too.

GedikPaþa Hamamý - Historical Gedikpaþa Bath

I would also suggest taking a little cruise down the Bosphorous. Pretty cheap and it's pretty stunning. We stopped near the Black Sea to see Yoros Castle. It was a hike (steep hills), but cool and got to see the mouth of the Black Sea.

If you want to smoke a Hookah (nargile), then scope out this place called Erenler Nargile ve cay bahçesi a little south of the Grand Bazaar. A little hard to find, but basically go onto Ordu Cd to find it. I don't ever remember there being signs there, but it's almost like it's in a 17th century Mosque. From the street you can see the workers making the charcoal if you look in..it's kind of like a tunnel. Walk back and voila..tons of people. Open til 2am, pretty local. My suggestion is to buy a pack of kleenex from a little kid selling it on the streets. The toilets in this place are squat toilets with no toilet paper. Unless you want to use the thing of water and your hand, I highly recommend doing this. Most places are not like this, but you just never know..

Istanbul is an amazing city. Really ridiculous with the history and things to see. It is really easily one of the greatest cities on earth. People have no idea what they're missing.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
I spent two weeks in Instanbul several years ago, during Ramazan. I fell in love with that city. Could have spent a year there. I found the Istanbul Eats website a valuable resource. Rick Steves' guide is what I used for the trip, and was glad that I did.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I spent two weeks in Instanbul several years ago, during Ramazan. I fell in love with that city. Could have spent a year there. I found the Istanbul Eats website a valuable resource. Rick Steves' guide is what I used for the trip, and was glad that I did.
Did you fast? It truly is one of the more remarkable cities on earth.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:25 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
Had a blast!

Ended up doing some wondering and did everything I wanted but the Bath. Didn't want to drop $60 on it.

Highlight of the trip was probably the Archaeology museum. It was really cool to get up to the artifacts and observe closely instead of behind glass! Got some cool photos from there!

Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Had a blast!

Ended up doing some wondering and did everything I wanted but the Bath. Didn't want to drop $60 on it.

Highlight of the trip was probably the Archaeology museum. It was really cool to get up to the artifacts and observe closely instead of behind glass! Got some cool photos from there!
Nice to hear. That must be one of the more expensive baths..should ask your hotel concierge? Mine directed me to one in Sultanahmet opened in 1475. $30 for the works. Next time you're there you must get it..

Post some pics! Would love to see them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel