Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM

201 posts, read 490,763 times

Advertisements

I have a dream of being semi retired after our house sale goes through and put all our things in storage and get a round the world ticket and stay for one month in six different cities around the world. I would want to stay in a timeshare, condo or short term apartment and live like a local in each city and then visit attractions and bum around by day.

What, in your opinion would the best cities be for something like this? How much would you budget for a month long stay in each city?

(My fixed cost in Northern VA for mortgage, utilities and basic food is about $4000. (Which I would not be paying if I were homeless for a short while with no mortgage) If I assumed $350 to put everything I own in storage, could I do the lodging and food in each town in a two bedroom condo or apartment for $5000 a month at a nice but not fancy spot? (I am using frequent flyer miles for the round the world airline ticket.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
...and get a round the world ticket and stay for one month in six different cities around the world.

What, in your opinion would the best cities be for something like this?
If you've never been there before... then just about ANYWHERE could be nice for a month.

Quote:
How much would you budget for a month long stay in each city?
At least as much as you would spend at home *and* went out to eat and do stuff every day.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I think you'd have a hard time making ends meet in many place on that budget, but it's not impossible. Of course any third world country or developing nation would fit the budget, but might not be where you'd want to hang your hat for an entire month.

My choices would be Rome, London, Paris, San Francisco, New York, Boston, Dubrovnick, Prague, or Frankfurt based on both things to immediately in that city as well as potential day trips via public transportation to neighboring areas. Unfortunately I'm not sure that any of those areas would lend themselves to a $3500 monthly budget.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:48 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
I think it's doable if by living like a "local" you mean eating in most of the time and when you do eat out you eat at modest places. I would go the short term apartment route and choose neighborhoods that have easy access to the historic districts. I'd also arrange my itineray if possible on the destination's low season to save on rent.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:32 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think you'd have a hard time making ends meet in many place on that budget, but it's not impossible. Of course any third world country or developing nation would fit the budget, but might not be where you'd want to hang your hat for an entire month.

My choices would be Rome, London, Paris, San Francisco, New York, Boston, Dubrovnick, Prague, or Frankfurt based on both things to immediately in that city as well as potential day trips via public transportation to neighboring areas. Unfortunately I'm not sure that any of those areas would lend themselves to a $3500 monthly budget.
Third world countries are usually more expensive if one wants to live or spend time there as an expat unless one lives like a local while there (and then it would be cheaper than most Western countries).

As for cities in Western countries, your budget will probably be okay for attractions and food but might not cover your lodgings in those places.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
You could spend a month in London and not even scratch the surface.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:11 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
If you want to be more budget concious and also want to live locally but with high standards on your budget you might consider destinations in low-cost destinations in Asia, South America and Eastern-Europe. I'm thinking of places like Quito Ecuador, Chiang Mia Thailand, Budapest Hungary, India, etc...

Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
You might want to consider Sydney Australia. Wherever you decide be sure to google that city and check all the sites that interest you and then plan accordingly to get the maximum exposure.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You might want to consider Sydney Australia. Wherever you decide be sure to google that city and check all the sites that interest you and then plan accordingly to get the maximum exposure.
Great city but Sydney is one of the world's most expensive places to live. If there's any hope of sticking to at least a moderate budget Sydney would not be the place to go.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Florence might be an option. There are affordable self-catering flats available for short term lease (often you'd need transportation, buy a used bicycle) and day trips to Rome, Venice, Livorno, Milan, etc. by train are doable.

Another option might be Scotland in Edinbugh or Glasgow. Depending on the location of the flat you might need a bike to get around, but it's lovely and there are affordable furnished flats for let.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel