Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

You need to be really, really careful. A lot of that stuff that looks handmade is actually made in China.

For instance, I studied abroad in Southern Mexico and spent a lot of time chatting with shopkeepers and artists at the local markets and the artist co-op. We actually had a whole class in the experiential learning program to study how Chinese imports made to look like the real thing were duping tourists and hurting people who had dedicated their lives to learning the traditional crafts. Most tourists would have no idea and think that their purchase was supporting a local artisan.

I collect alebrijes, or whimsical painted woodcarvings of animals and mythical figures indigenous to Oaxaca, and there was a huge problem with Chinese knockoffs. In fact, the person manning the stand often was able to carve the alebrijes and would whittle away between customers, but would sell lower cost imports in order to maximize profits. Really sad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
No matter where you travel to, the "souvenirs" are all made in China, just different designs.

It is true in either Topeka Kansas or Cairo Egypt. Even within China, "local items" of Shanghai or Xi'an are actually made in the same factories in Guangdong. Tibetans also sell "silver artifacts" which are actually manufactured in Zhejiang in East China.
That is not always true has plate collectors can find locally made plates pinted by local artist.My wife colects bells and always looks for local made bells. they are not prehaps cheap as other but worth it to her.Collectors easy can shopp local shops and find what they want.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I think one issue here is that people want a cheap souvenir, a simple reminder of a place they have been. Not everyone who travels has the resources to purchase expensive things and some people don't even want anything more than the traditional little token item.

Decent cheap souvenirs barely exist anymore (okay there are exceptions, someone will come in and argue) so when I travel I either buy nothing at all and just enjoy the experience or I will pick up a rock or a seashell, something natural. Sometimes just a simple photograph will make a good enough souvenir. It doesn't always have to be something you buy.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:57 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
In my particular case, I was taken by a local person to a place where it was a local artist making the souvenir hand painted plates at that time.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
.......... a cheap souvenir, a simple reminder of a place they have been...........

There's that. I like to buy coffee cups. I don't care where those were made as long as they have a picture of the Abbey or the name of the town. They are cheap, small and easy to carry, and I use them all the time.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Most of my stuff was made locally, or in the region (like a cup bought in Germany made in Poland). I looked and my Egypt cups are made in Egypt (and of course the wine!).

I probably do have some made in China stuff, items that were bought just as a token, none that are displayed right now are made in China.

When in Venice, it was a little disheartening seeing all the stores selling made in China Venetian items, along with the Filipinos (or where ever they were from) working there.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:12 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Buy real, not trinkets, or don't buy at all.
Buy something that reminds you of your trip. Where it's made doesn't matter as much as the memories it evokes. IMO

Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Like it or not, globalization is happening.

I heartily agree that a remembrance of a place does not have to be something you buy, but that is what the OP addressed in this thread.

If you are purchasing, some travelers want to pump their money into the small local businesses to support the economy and authenticity of the place they're visiting. Some are less concerned about it.
For me it has not that difficult to find the real thing, but I agree with Charolastra that it is trickier than people may believe.

You can find cute little trinkets that may have been made in China, or you can stroll an open market, find an artist painting and purchase his/her work (and not all of these are necessarily unaffordable--we are not big spenders but have found many lovely little watercolors over the years.)

Where I live, people bemoan the fact that from time to time, cheap shrimp from Asia is sold as local (which to me is unethical and a valid complaint.) I do make an effort to get local shrimp, partly because it tastes better.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I've purchased a number of water color paintings and pencil drawings from local artists over the years as well. They are lightweight and easy to take home. They put a smile on my face when I see them on the wall as they remind me of the wonderful places we've been.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
In Thailand, there are loads of domestically made crafts and souvenirs available all over the country, not to mention some of the strangest items imaginable.

To list just a few examples:
- Small benjarong porcelain items
- Wood carved items, often teak wood. Elephants are a common theme.
- Fanciful figures made from seashells or coconuts
- Hats, tee-shirts and clothing styled by hilltribers,
- Stuffed cobras and purses made of cobra skin (imagine a purse with the head of a cobra on the flap)
- Thai silk
- Various Thai musical instruments (small and large)
- Key chains of all kinds
- Legendary figurines and dolls, toys and collectibles
- Ages ago, I found a guy perched along the street using a cardboard box as a work space and skillfully making all sorts of nick-nack bicycles, motorcycles, tuk-tuks, etc., on the spot and entirely out of wire.

A lot of these things can be found at Night Markets and Weekend Markets, but you can't turn around the corner without finding a streetside vendor somewhere selling all sorts of impressive Thai-made items that at small enough to be considered as souvenirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel