Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 5,518 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are leaving New England to attend Humboldt State next year, and considering the ride will be long and arduous anyway, we've decided to use the time to explore. We both have never seen the west. This is what we're thinking so far: Chicago-> Badlands-> Denver-> Rocky Mountains-> Great Sand Dunes-> Black Canyon of the Gunison-> Canyonlands-> Arches-> Capital Reef-> Bryce Canyon-> Zion National Park-> Grand Canyon-> Death Valley-> Sequoia/Kings Canyon-> Yosemite-> Big Sur-> Point Reyes-> San Francisco-> Arcata, CA.

The order on some of that probably needs adjusting. According to Mapquest, this should take a minimum of 88 hours. Considering that classes typically start around August 20th and I do need to spend as much time in RI as possible (I work for a family business in Block Island over the summer and leaving during the middle of tourist season is a bit of a strain on them), what amount of time do you think would be reasonable to travel this distance in? Would three weeks be adequate? We would probably only breeze through the cities, and spend the most time enjoying the natural sites.

Also, what are your SD, CO, AZ, UT, CA, etc. must sees for nature lovers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 11:29 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
Having just returned from a cross-country trip for which we overbooked/rushed ourselves and ended up cutting the last week because we were exhausted and tired of being in the car, I would say three weeks is not enough for your list. Suggest you cut out half of your itinerary. Since you're coming here from from SF you might as well take the "slow" route on Hwy 1 from the Bay Area. Welcome to Humboldt!

Last edited by eureka1; 12-05-2012 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: clarify

Old 12-05-2012, 11:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theseaiscalm View Post
My boyfriend and I are leaving New England to attend Humboldt State next year, and considering the ride will be long and arduous...
According to Mapquest, this should take a minimum of 88 hours.

Try allowing yourselves 88 DAY's and you may even enjoy yourselves too.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 PM

4,618 posts, read 4,885,665 times
As I basically did the opposite this summer, here's a couple suggestions:
Hold off on anything in CA. You could spend weeks just in Yosemite. I lived in Sacramento, so it was only a 2 hour drive, but over the 6 years I live there, I went to Yose about a dozen times. That, and it'll be almost impossible for you to get a place to stay the night without stalking the reservation system.
I-80 is REALLY boring. I'd pick either the north of 80 stuff - Badlands, Glacier, Yellowstone, Columbia River, Oregon Coast - OR the south of 80 stuff - Rocky Mountain NP, Dinosaur, Zion/Arches/Bryce. It's just TOO much to try and get it all in.

Unless you leave today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel