Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I will be traveling to Tucson for just under a week of vacation (Jan 13-20). I have been to Tucson several times over the years.

After some research, we want to see the following:

Arizona-Sonoma Desert Museum
Arizona State Museum
Mission San Xavier del Bac
Pima Air and Space Museum
Saguaro National Park
Titan Missile Museum

I would also like to check out some of the local caves BUT I am not sure that my wife can handle the caves if they require much climbing.

Any events I should look for? Any other "off the beaten track" attractions that I am missing?
You say you're going to be in Tucson just under a week then I'd suggest for time wise you see the AZ-Sonoma Desert Museum, the Pima Air & Space Museum, Saguaro National Park, and then drive for a day trip to Kartchner Caverns. They are a handicapped approved set up. My wife uses a cane and it was a snap for her to cover the trails. We saw many wheelchair people using the facilities and had no trouble traversing the wide trails. It is worth the trip.
Tombstone is mostly set up as a touristy town, the original boothill is not available. They built a faux boothill for tourists years ago. not worth the time if you are on a short schedule.
Each of these venues will take pretty much a full day to enjoy so schedule accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
It's unfortunate that you couldn't time your trip just a tad bit later, say the second weekend in February. The Tucson Gem and Mineral Show comes to Tucson during those two weeks and it is a treat! I've been to other related shows around the west but the Tucson show is the best IMO. And it gets a crowd and a half, trust me!
Trust me. I tried to push off this trip for a month. However, I have to use up my "leftover" 2012 vacation in January. Also, I really wanted to get down to Arizona before spring training.

I will be heading over to the University of Arizona's Mineralogy Museum, one of the hidden (and largely unknown) treasures of Tucson.

And we will be heading down to Sells, AZ for the Desert Rain Cafe.

Desert Rain Cafe | Tucson On The Cheap, LLC

================================================

Now, one of our most unique Arizona experiences on my last trip was a "little shortcut" through the mountains. Sierra Vista -> Nogales through Montezuma Canyon Rd and Duchesne Rd.

It is a great drive with a 4x4 AND if you let know people know were you are going. (g)

Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
If you are interested in astronomy, a visit to the Kitt Peak National Observatory is worth the trip. It is a bit over one hour west of downtown Tucson. Head west on Highway 86 / Ajo Way past Three Points, and then up the mountain. Beautiful views on the top of the mountain also. Bring a jacket because in January it will be cold up at the peak.

A few other scenic places around Tucson are Sabino Canyon and Mt. Lemmon. Mt Lemmon occasionally gets snow, but if it has been clear and dry there will be no problem with the drive up the mountain. Its a 25 mile trip up the mountain and you see a transition from Sonoran desert to alpine mountain forest on the way. The views are incredible on a clear day.
Good suggestions. I was going to suggest Kitt Peak, as well.

Kitt Peak National Observatory

Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM

24,276 posts, read 13,130,686 times
Other places:

For wine connoiseurs (and for casual imbibers), the Sonoita area has several excellent wineries.

Gates Pass, at the west end of Speedway Blvd, was always a great sunset pictures opportunity.

An earlier post mentioned Mission San Xavier del Bac. Small, a bit touristy around it, very but historic.

Bisbee is a funky "hippie" town, the Copper Queen is still open for mine tours. Kitchy fun.

The Duchesne Road trip IS a great drive, having a 1:50,000 or 1:24,000 topo is helpful. And 4x4 for sure. Haven't thought about that drive since the mid 90s when I lived in Tucson.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
The Duchesne Road trip IS a great drive, having a 1:50,000 or 1:24,000 topo is helpful. And 4x4 for sure. Haven't thought about that drive since the mid 90s when I lived in Tucson.

We had NO intention of making the drive.

We went to the Coronado National Monument and the ranger recommended that we drive up the mountain as the views at the top were really great and that we could see two valleys.

We started up the narrow gravel road in our rental Dodge Neon. It was one of those roads that was about 1 1/2 lanes and a deep drop off.

The ranger was right about the great views. However, I was scared to death about going back down. So, we continued on. I may add, we had NO map and no GPS and no cell phone.

We drove for the better part of two hours WITHOUT seeing another car.

At one point, we had to drive through a sandy wash, gunning the car hoping NOT to get stuck.

Finally, we got to an intersection next to the border. We hoped to see the border patrol. Nope. All we saw is the memorial to the Jesuit missionaries.

Finally, we arrived in Nogales about an hour later.

We passed six vehicles in 3.5 hours.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 AM

24,276 posts, read 13,130,686 times
Six! It must've been rush hour! I think I saw one, a rancher in his truck going the other way. We were looking for the ghost towns and old mines south of the Santa Ritas and Patagonia.

I also realize I misspelled it. It's Duquesne Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel