Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 05:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling to Tucson for just under a week of vacation (Jan 13-20). I have been to Tucson several times over the years.

After some research, we want to see the following:

Arizona-Sonoma Desert Museum
Arizona State Museum
Mission San Xavier del Bac
Pima Air and Space Museum
Saguaro National Park
Titan Missile Museum

I would also like to check out some of the local caves BUT I am not sure that my wife can handle the caves if they require much climbing.

Any events I should look for? Any other "off the beaten track" attractions that I am missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 05:28 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
The Desert Museum and Saguaro N Park are definitely not to be missed. I've been to a mission nearby Tucson (not sure it's the same one) but it was also a good trip. ALMOST did the missile silo and sort of regretted it every since.

Take warm clothing for the outdoors stuff, you may not need it but if you DO you will be glad you have it.

Bisbee is a nearby town of some interest if you want to take a drive. If you are interested, you can see the sandhill cranes at Wilcox.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I would also like to check out some of the local caves BUT I am not sure that my wife can handle the caves if they require much climbing.
Check out Kartchner Caverns, no climbing required just nice underground sidewalks and guided tours. I'm not sure on hours for winter season but it isn't too far from Tuscon and absolutely breathtaking.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
^^^
I guess that makes it back on the list as long as there is not a lot of climbing. My wife will be recovering from arthroscopic surgery.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,367,944 times
If you are interested in astronomy, a visit to the Kitt Peak National Observatory is worth the trip. It is a bit over one hour west of downtown Tucson. Head west on Highway 86 / Ajo Way past Three Points, and then up the mountain. Beautiful views on the top of the mountain also. Bring a jacket because in January it will be cold up at the peak.

A few other scenic places around Tucson are Sabino Canyon and Mt. Lemmon. Mt Lemmon occasionally gets snow, but if it has been clear and dry there will be no problem with the drive up the mountain. Its a 25 mile trip up the mountain and you see a transition from Sonoran desert to alpine mountain forest on the way. The views are incredible on a clear day.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,850,946 times
It's unfortunate that you couldn't time your trip just a tad bit later, say the second weekend in February. The Tucson Gem and Mineral Show comes to Tucson during those two weeks and it is a treat! I've been to other related shows around the west but the Tucson show is the best IMO. And it gets a crowd and a half, trust me!

Another attraction that is well worth mentioning is Old Tucson Studios, located 12 miles west of town. Got Westerns? Here's a few of them from the 50's; Gunfight at The OK Corral, Rio Lobo, 3:10 To Yuma (the first one), El Dorado. Westerns from the last 15 years or so made there would include The Outlaw Josie Wells, Tombstone, Young Guns II, The Quick And The Dead, and many many other classics. If I'm not mistaken the place is open for tours pretty much every day from January 1st to April 30th. In fact, there is a new film in the making that's going on there now, it's called "Hot Bath-Stiff Drink." (my kind of movie! lol). They have an attractive website that gets into the layout in greater detail, and Wikipedia gives a decent history about the place and has a comprehensive list of all the western films made there.

And about websites, the Rock and Gem show has a good one too. From the standpoint of tourism and commerce, this event is a big deal for the community. I'm not a collector myself, but a friend of mine is a collector/dealer and loves the show! I've gone down there with him to help out with his table.

Good suggestion on Kartchner Caverns, they are about an hour southeast of Tucson a little north of Sierra Vista. Been there just one time but it's a must see. And it's not a difficult walk at all, my knees can handle it and they are as old as Methuselah!

Safe travels!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
> Another attraction that is well worth mentioning is Old Tucson Studios

The REAL Tombstone is on the way to Bisbee. Don't know if there is anything much to see there however.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
The Desert Museum and Saguaro N Park are definitely not to be missed.
I SO agree on this one, I loved it!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> Another attraction that is well worth mentioning is Old Tucson Studios

The REAL Tombstone is on the way to Bisbee. Don't know if there is anything much to see there however.
Not a lot to see (just a small stretch of "Main Street"). They do the re-enactment gun fights, though, if you like that sort of thing.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Tombstone can be okay, depends what you dig.

There is some history there, you can walk around Boot Hill and see some famous gravesites or spend a couple hours at the old courthouse which is pretty much a museum. They also have mine tour (there is a much better on in Bisbee) and a couple other tourist trap like places with petting zoo and such. We also went to some nighttime ghost thing at the Bird Cage, pretty much a joke as far as supernatural but again some interesting history so wasn't too bad.

Plus lots bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel