Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times

Advertisements

For Christmas this year the hubs and I are giving each other a vacation. We are going in early June as the weather is nice and it coincides with our anniversary.

I have never been- neither has he - but I have "supposed" to have gone on a big trip that I missed out on. I however was not in charge of any of that planning.

Knowing nothing really about the city and only starting to compile a list of what we want to do - I'm looking for input from people who know the city reasonable well.

As far as hotel I don't need anything fancy - I don't plan to spend much time there! I want safe, clean, and a great location so I don't have to taxi to everything I want to do.

Any must-do or must-see recommendations (or must avoid) are helpful! I really want to avoid all the tourist trap stuff.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 04:22 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
For Christmas this year the hubs and I are giving each other a vacation.
We are going in early June as the weather is nice and it coincides with our anniversary.

Any must-do or must-see recommendations...
The only thing that comes to mind is to hunt down Amy Sedaris...

Amy Sedaris as a Potty Mouth Bartender in Full Grown Men - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGFe6hicb2o

Old 12-17-2012, 06:49 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times
If it's open next summer you might try getting tickets to go up into the crown of the Statue of Liberty. Best 3 bucks we ever spent. You need to make reservations months in advance. I heard it was currently closed due to the storm. If you get tickets, go early. Also walking across the Brooklyn Bridge is nice. We also found the "Top of the Rock" at Rockefeller Center to be a better choice over the Empire State Building.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
For first-timers, the list of worth-while things is endless. Many of these you can combine into one day, fyi.

In the age of smart phones, I still like a Streetwise NYC map to get your bearings if you don't know your way around: Streetwise Manhattan Map - Laminated City Street Map of Manhattan, New York - Folding pocket size travel map with subway map, bus map: Streetwise Maps: 9781886705975: Amazon.com: Books

Top of the Rock (worth it)
Statue of Liberty
Circle Line/Harbor Line cruise
Rockefeller Plaza/midtown/up 5th Ave
Central Park (you could spend a couple of days exploring)
The Village/Soho/Chelsea
The Met
The Frick
Moma
The High Line
See a show
Ground Zero/Wall Street
Plaza Hotel
Katz's or Carnegie Delis
Bryant Park
Grand Central Terminal

Old 12-18-2012, 05:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
I really want to avoid all the tourist trap stuff.
Kinda defeats the purpose of going to NYC. I can think of much to do in NYC but most of it could/would be considered tourist stuff. I guess you could wander around central park and pretend you arent in NYC.
You driving or flying to NYC?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I suggest you should stay in Long Island City, Queens which is just across the East River from Midtown Manhattan with a short subway ride into the city.

I suggest you take the Staten Island ferry which is free in order to see the Statue of Liberty as it gives one a good photo opportunity and one does not waste time in line and money to actually going to Liberty Island.

Another good photo opportunity one can get from the Roosevelt Island tram which costs the same as a local bus/subway ride (currently $2.25 but may go up to $2.50 before June).

There are many other good things to do but again it depends on your interests and budget. For additional information you might want to also post this on the New York City forum (not the NY State forum).

Old 12-18-2012, 05:27 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
We have been twice for 4 nights on each occasion and it was May both times. I love the Broadway shows so that would be my #1 recommendation. Get to the TKTS booth at 9:30 or 10 am for an afternoon show or at 1:30 or 2 for tickets to an evening performance. There will be a list on a neon sign of the shows they have tickets for. It is a great deal. We saw Phantom of the Opera for 1/2 price and had 7th row center seats. This is an outstanding show. The next time we went we saw "A Little Night Music" (which I think has closed now) and had front row seats.

Also don't miss a stroll through Central Park - While seeing Central Park East you may want to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

We stayed over on Third avenue and 58th or 59th Street at a Courtyard - Mariott. It was a great location and not a bad walk to Times Square and even closer walk to Central Park. Taxis are not that expensive. We took buses instead of the subway so we could see things and not be underground. The bus is the same price as the subway. On our first visit we too the bus down to the Southstreet Seaport and then went across on the Staten Island Ferry (which is free) for a great view of the Statue of Liberty. There was much going on at the Seaport that Day - music etc - as it was Mother's Day.

I would strongly suggest you spend the little bit extra to stay in Manhattan as everything is easier to get too. You won't waste time and energy coming and going from Queens etc and you can go back to your hotel for a short rest if need be.

Unless you are into gorging yourself with rich food I would skip the famous deli scene, IMO. I will sugggest a restaurant we love - or a couple of them. Avra - which is Greek on the East side in the mid 40s. and for a great dinner after matinee try "Langan's" at 150 W. 47th. Food was good and price is reasonable. Meryl Streep ate there and liked it so much she returned with her parents.

Have a ball - I hope to plan to go back very soon.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 12-18-2012 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-18-2012, 10:12 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
All good ideas and opins above...

OP: -how long in NYC area, eg 3 days, 5 days?
-willing to spend some dough or a budget visit?
-able to walk alot, get around?
-Interests might help, too.
GL, mD

Old 12-18-2012, 02:34 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
You should have no problem finding a GOOD and REASONABLE hotel to stay in IN Manhattan if you use Hotwire (or Expedia or the like and you're picky and need to know the hotel name ahead of time). I go 2-3 times a year and have for the last 10 years and always use those sites or Travelzoo for my NYC stays (unless I am traveling with my family then we always stat at the same place).

You are going to be doing A LOT of walking as it is so you want to make it easy to start and end your days.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:58 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
Thanks for the responses!

I'm not sure how long - kinda depends on how we figure the budget planning and what we find out things will cost. I hope 4/5 days. I really do want to stay IN the city if possible. I've found that a few extra dollars is worth being close to what you want to do. I just don't want or can't pay $300+ a night for a hotel. It will severely limit my stay and what I can do.

I've read a lot about buying Broadway show tickets on the day of but I hesitate to do it. I just don't want to risk getting ripped out of a show! Seeing Phantom is a MUST for me LOL and I'd love to see Chicago but the tickets are very expensive - seeing 2 shows also puts quite a dent in your time.

*by tourist trap what I meant was all the over hyped and way over priced attractions / restaurants / hotels. I will be there with my tourist bells on believe me but we all know every place has great places only locals know about and crap places only tourists get suckered into going.

I'm a big foodie and so is hubby! Chelsea Market is a def. for me! And I will NOT be leaving NYC without visiting Bobby Flay's place - I think Bar American but he has two. I will also be bringing home a blue box from Tiffany's!! LOL I'm up in the air about doing the Plaza hotel and a carriage ride in central park??

I really don't care much about going "to" the statue of liberty - the ferry will be enough and a big time saver. Sorry to say seeing the World Trade Center site is not a big deal for me I've had too much tragedy in my life to relive everyone else's.

China Street? for the flea market scene is NOT my thing. I do want to do Little Italy with the food vendors and shops.

I've heard Top of the Rock is awesome I do know this is not a R&R vacation and while I don't want to kill us both, I want to be able to do and see a ton while I'm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel