Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:32 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times

Advertisements

Just this year, not last year & not next year. With 2012 coming to a close & this forum being so full of people that do quite a lot of traveling for both personal & work related reasons, I think this thread is definitely warranted. Also list some cities you hope to see in 2013.

For me, I think 2012 was an active year albeit besides Kuala Lumpur, Doha, & Bangkok I didn't see anywhere that I haven't already.

I've seen:
- Austin (lived in)
- Washington (live in)
- Houston
- Boston
- New York
- Baltimore
- Atlanta
- Dallas
- San Antonio
- Richmond (Virginia)
- Fort Worth
- Bangkok
- Kuala Lumpur
- Doha
- Singapore

January 1st, 2013- Seattle. The planning on this one is done. Just missed this one by a few hours. New Orleans in 6 days from now.

Cities I hope to see in 2013 (in no order besides Seoul): SEOUL, Las Vegas, Quebec City, Osaka, Tokyo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Salt Lake City, Pittsburgh, Omaha, Cincinnati, Columbus, Raleigh, Charlotte, Nashville, Amsterdam, Tel Aviv, & Istanbul.

All of those for the first time, hopefully I'll get the chance to see at least a few of them (hopefully two or three of them)- no way possible I'll see them all next year. I'd like the chance to see all of America's major cities first before any international travel at this point (unless it's Seoul, Osaka, & Tokyo). I only have a few more major cities to see in America & then I'll be done. I've seen 38 states so far and hopefully before I turn 30 I can say I've seen all 50.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 12-20-2012 at 06:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 05:37 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Cleveland: 1st time, would like to have stayed longer but the weather was so cold, damp, and windy and I was on the road. I dig the West End Market though.

Chicago: 3rd visit, one of my favorite American cities. I had wheels this time, driving up Lake Shore Drive knocked my socks off, love that view with loud tunes on.

Omaha: 1st visit: I was pleasantly surprised. The Old Market has a lot of charm to it, found a really awesome art galley, and I had the best steak I've ever had in my life there. Nice parks along the river too.

Denver: Been up there a few times this year. Since moving to New Mexico I consider Denver "THE CITY" since it's the closest real urban experience. I've visited Denver a number of times since 1998. Every time I go back it just seems to get better; especially downtown and I really like the art museum there.

Phoenix: 1st time. C-D posters love to smacktalk this city. There's plenty to do in Phoenix though, but I'd say moreso Scottsdale and Tempe. I like the landscaping and the Desert Botanical Gardens are beautiful.

El Paso: Came here on my birthday last summer for a day at the waterpark, outlet mall shopping, dinner at a steakhouse, and damn good margharitas.

Maui: 1st time to Hawaii. Cliche as it may sound but it really is paradise. Incredible hotels (love the pool at the Hyatt), great food, enjoyed chatting with locals, and the waves are fantastic. I want to go back again and again.

Raleigh: Been many times, my sister lives there. Was there recently at Thanksgiving. I wish my sister lived somewhere else, Raleigh's boring.

Nashville: 1st time. Fun city, cool skyline, good food, friendly locals. I was impressed and would definitely go back again.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-20-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 05:58 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
New York City (Lived)
Denver (Living)
Albuquerque (Visited)

Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,854 times
Minneapolis*
St. Paul* (Live here)
New Orleans*
Chicago
Orlando*
Kansas City
Thunder Bay*
Duluth
Fargo

Wss there but didn't spend much time at all:
Des Moines
St. Louis
Jackson
Tampa
Memphis
Rockford
Madison

Cities that I am for sure visiting in 2013:
St. Louis
Chicago
Philadelphia, Washington D.C., New York or Boston. One of them.

* Cities that I've spent a longer time in than the others.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
In the US:

Los Angeles
St. Louis (1st time)
Cincinnati (1st time)
Gary IN
New York City
Memphis (1st time)
Philadelphia (1st time)
Santa Fe (1st time)
Jersey City/Hoboken (1st time)
Camden, NJ (1st time)

Outside of the US:

Tecate, Mexico (1st time)
Manila, Philippines

Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
Atlanta
Barcelona
Berlin
Brussels (technically, not really....airport)
Managua
Minneapolis
Toronto

Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Major cities (most of them):

-Minneapolis
-Indianapolis
-Charlotte
-New York
-Philadelphia
-Newark
-Atlanta
-Chicago
-St. Louis
-Memphis
-L.A.
-Washington D.C.
-Paris
-Amsterdam
-Dubai
-Tokyo
-Nagoya
-Manilla
-Ho Chi Minh
-Bangkok
-Phnom Penh
-Sydney

Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
January 1st, 2013- Seattle.
You should have come in August thru early October when we had sun every day. As it is now it's been raining every day since like... late November? I don't complain though, I love the PNW.

Cities I visited in 2012:

Philadelphia
Syracuse
Jacksonville
Savannah
Atlanta
Houston
San Francisco

Old 12-20-2012, 11:27 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
New York City (got married!)
Havana, Cuba
Detroit
Toronto (work here)

Old 12-21-2012, 01:08 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Hey valentro, I live in the D.C. area as well (born and raised and still around) and the cities that I have visited so far this year are:

New York City (Back in October 5-7 as a late 20th bday present from my mother I haven't visited the NYC since 2003 for my 11th bday! We stayed in Battery Park City this time at The Conrad (at the former Embassy Suites hotel building) there in Lower Manhattan near the new World Trade Center and visited Liberty Island, checked out Union Square, the Empire State Building's two observation decks, the World Financial Center's Winter Garden and the marina that's in front of it, ate at the 50/50 club on 25th West St., checked out 5th Avenue, checked out the area near Battery Park and Trinity Church, visited Wall Street, and caught one of the trains to Flatbush, Brooklyn to see Jay-Z's final performance at the new Barclay's Center New York was pretty dirty too! But forreal, it really didn't bother me too much and I live outside of a much cleaner Washington D.C. LOL Heck, I didn't even notice the smell of urine in the taxis as opposed to my mother lls Btw, I'm hoping to return to New York sometime during the week of Christmas for some shopping, I'm sure it would be a spectacular experience!!!) I have an interesting saying about New York City, "Dirty yet Sexy & Crassy yet Classy" LOL If I could afford it, I would love to relocate up there one day! Preferably in either Brooklyn or Queens.

Atlantic City (First went there back in the waning several weeks of the summer of 2010, as usual had a great time! I just hope that they will recover from that horrible mess Sandy just dealt them)

Philadelphia (To be honest, I never actually visited Philly, but I did caught a glimpse of its skyline for the first time ever after coming home from Atlantic City back in late-July of this year.)

Washington D.C. (I live in the metro area within neighboring Prince George's County, MD)

Baltimore (Passed by it while going to Atlantic City and coming back home. Haven't really step foot in Bmore since 2010.)

For next year, I hope to visit either Los Angeles, Phoenix, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco, or Ft. Lauderdale for the summer and visit either Las Vegas, New Orleans, or Atlanta for my 21st bday (I'm more towards the ATL right now, especially with their beautiful black girls How's the nightlife down there btw?)

As for the non-American cities that I hope to visit sometime this decade: London, Paris, Barcelona, Toronto, Venice, and Rio De Janeiro!!!

Last edited by tcave360; 12-21-2012 at 01:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel