Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,098 times

Advertisements

i'm from the USA and really want to study abroad in Scotland during my spring semester of 2014
right now I am thinking the University of Glasgow with the ifsa butler program

-What is the university-life like in Glasgow?
-Is it easy to make friends with local Scots?
-What is the culture like in Scotland?

I am looking for a really FRIENDLY place to study abroad where I can make many long time friends, I studied abroad in Madrid last spring semester and abs. loved the Spaniards, but found them to be more reserved towards foreign students, especially in my residencia.

Let me know everything you think will be beneficial to know about the people, culture, and university of Glasgow-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I've barely been into Glasgow long enough to look at a couple of churches or get into or out of the airport. It's a great big city that strikes me as being very working class. I don't have any idea how college students are regarded.

There is a ton of wonderful stuff to do in the area. Lots of history, lots of scenery, lots of old castles to see. There are some excellent museums in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

As far as I know, everyone everywhere in Scotland is very polite and pleasant. I am mystified about where the dour Scot stereotype comes from. It's possible that Glasgow might be different, but other large cities in Scotland, the people are very welcoming.

You be polite and don't act like you are spoiled and entitled, or superior and I think you won't have nay problems.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If you are going to be taking classes, get there a couple of weeks early for your ear to adjust to the accent. I notice when my Scottish friends are here, they often have to repeat themselves because their accent seems to be difficult for American ears to interpret.

It would be a shame if you couldn't understand your lectures for the first couple of weeks.

They ave no trouble understanding us, I suspect because they watch movies made in Hollywood, so they hear a lot of general American.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:58 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I suggest that you post your question in the UK forum.

We don't bite.

Well, not much.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Glaswegians are incredibly friendly. Look for a pub called the Babbity Bowster. You will have a wonderful time in Glasgow and you're only a short train ride from Edinburgh. Enjoy.!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:27 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Glasgow has some bad areas and also some nice ones. As far as I know the uni area is nice. Fabulous museums. Glasgow uni is highly regarded. And you'd be very close to Edinburgh. It will take a while to get used to the accents.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
My sister studied for two years at a Scottish University (not in Glasgow though) and found the people incredibly warm and inviting. She made several life long friends while there.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,314 times
2 separate friends did their study abroad in Scotland, one at St. Andrews, the other in Edinburgh. They couldn't say enough good things about their experience. They left a piece of their hearts there, but returned with a bit of Scotland to share with their friends. I introduced the two of them, and they started to introduce me to all things Scottish. Ceilidhs are great fun!

Another friend did a working holiday, loved it so much she got a working visa to stay there. I finally visited her there, and I can totally understand why they fell in love with the country. From the coast to the highlands, it's hauntingly beautiful. Great friendly people. Edinburgh is gorgeous and historical. Glasgow is much more of a working, commerce city, but quite nice too.

The Scottish accent from up north was a bit difficult for me to understand, I could understand it only around 30% of the time. But i could put together what they meant pretty easily. My friend started speaking with a slight Scottish accent by the time she reluctantly left there 3.yrs ago, returning to Canada. She still misses Scotland terribly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel