Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:27 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Give Cuba a shot if you can! Havana is great for the single travel.. Great people, party atmosphere, rum and cigars, vintage cars, beautiful beaches and did I say Beautiful people. Not too expensive either.. 3 buck for a liter of rum i mean you cant beat that!
Yep, but don't forget there's no direct flights there from the US. Also be prepared to be interrogated by agents once you arrive back in the US as to why you were even there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 747 times
Although I love the BVI, the only similarity that can be drawn between this island country and Thailand is that they're both tropical.

Make no mistake, the BVI is ranked in the top 3 most expensive counties in the Caribbean. It's a hub for offshore banking and sailing, both activities reserved for the wealthy to mega wealthy.

Just look at accommodation for example. Say in October; In Thailand for £500 a month you'll get a great accommodation for 2 close to / on the beach. At BVI you won't get ANYTHING for less than £1500 the same time of the year. That same price difference spreads across all areas of expense.

Just a realistic insight into cost of living in the BVI. Is it worth it? Heck ye, but only when you won't struggle through day to day expenses. In Thailand your money will go at least 3 times as far.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:28 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Have you considered Costa Rica? I have been to Thailand(was there 1 yr ago today). Costa Rica, Jamaica, Turks & Caicos, St Thomas & Mexico. Costa Rica has more of the "independent traveler" feel, like Thailand does. The islands are full of package tourists and couples.

Costa Rica is definitely cheaper. Check it out
Agreed I think Costa Rica and Panama should be brought into the discussion even though OP reference island vacation. They aren't as cheap as Thailand but overall much cheaper than Caribbean islands, have stunning scenery, both Pacific and Carib coasts, and just a few hours from Houston.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:19 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
The vibe is totally different between Thailand and the Caribbean, such that the only similar element I can name is beaches.

Obviously you won't find anything approaching the religious or historical culture of Thailand. But Thailand is also known for it's "anything goes" backpacking beach culture (the good - inexpensive, and bad of it - sleaze and exploitation), the Caribbean has nothing approaching it.

The Caribbean will generally be more expensive (depending on where you stay), more crime (for many locations), and more, I guess you can say - "cookie cutter" - generically fitting an American's commercial view of a tropical Jimmy Buffet song. That's not a bad thing necessarily, but it lacks a uniqueness that is Thailand. The best Caribbean islands however have an "old world colonial" appeal you won't find in Thailand.

Edit: Got caught be the necro-posters again (2013??)

Last edited by Dd714; 06-06-2016 at 08:32 AM..

Old 06-08-2016, 08:48 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,608,338 times
OP is 3 years old!!!

For others interested, no... there is nothing in the Carib compares to Thailand in any way other than weather & beaches. I suspect the closest experience one could find would be on the coastal mainland perhaps Costa Rica, Nicarauga or around Boca del Toros Panama, coastal Colombia or Ecuador. Or Cuba...

Just go to Thailand if you have time.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:36 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,258 times
I think the Bahama Out Islands rival Thailand (or any tropical location in the world) in terms of scenic beaches combine with few tourists.

I visited an even more remote island in the far southern Bahamas (Great Inagua) and camped 66 miles from the nearest town along one of the most prestine beaches I've ever seen. Getting here was anything but easy though as I had to drive 55 miles on a very rough and rocky road that was also washed out in spots (5 hours) and then walk an additional 11 miles (another 5 hours) along the shore.

It was soooo worth it though!
Attached Thumbnails
Caribbean nations as enjoyable as Thailand?-bend-best.jpg  

Old 06-08-2016, 12:12 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I think the Bahama Out Islands rival Thailand (or any tropical location in the world) in terms of scenic beaches combine with few tourists.
Then that is yet just another contrast - Thailand, at least the locations mentioned by the OP 3 years ago, have plenty of tourists... usually of the worst kind - those just looking for a cheap locale to get drunk and sunburned for a month.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:26 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yep, but don't forget there's no direct flights there from the US. Also be prepared to be interrogated by agents once you arrive back in the US as to why you were even there.
They are loosening the restrictions for Americans. We will be able to go soon, if not already.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:37 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Dude do you seriously think Thailand's beaches are the usual touristy places like Phuket and Koh Samui? Thailand has thousands of miles of coastline in two different seas, along with hundreds of islands. It is entirely possible to enjoy Thailand without being in areas overrun with tourists.

I think the only thing Bahamas has going for it over Thailand is proximity and language. Thailand crushes it for cost, food, and culture. They both have beautiful beaches.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:28 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Dude do you seriously think Thailand's beaches are the usual touristy places like Phuket and Koh Samui? Thailand has thousands of miles of coastline in two different seas, along with hundreds of islands. It is entirely possible to enjoy Thailand without being in areas overrun with tourists.

I think the only thing Bahamas has going for it over Thailand is proximity and language. Thailand crushes it for cost, food, and culture. They both have beautiful beaches.
Don't forget the Bahamas are MUCH more General Aviation friendly. Flying myself to and within the Bahamas is almost completely hassle free as I can literally walk from my room at many resorts and hop in my plane 10 minutes later without getting permission from anyone. Can't say the same thing about Thailand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel