Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:07 PM

45 posts, read 130,740 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm taking my son upon high school graduation to Washington DC. I'm looking for any good tips especially rates on different sites we would like to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 07:45 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,336,189 times
Definitely cheaper to stay in the suburbs and hitch a ride into town on Metro.

I HIGHLY recommend the Holocost museum - a very moving experience.
You cannot go wrong with any of the museums - they are all FREE!!!
I also recommend a side trip to the Air and Space museum near Dulles Airport. The museum is free, but parking was $10 the last time I was there.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:27 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,963,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Definitely cheaper to stay in the suburbs and hitch a ride into town on Metro.

I HIGHLY recommend the Holocost museum - a very moving experience.
You cannot go wrong with any of the museums - they are all FREE!!!
I also recommend a side trip to the Air and Space museum near Dulles Airport. The museum is free, but parking was $10 the last time I was there.
All good advice. We stayed outside of town and the Metro couldn't be easier to use. Would never want to deal with finding parking in the city.
And yes, free is the great thing about Washington D.C.

We also took the boat out to Mt. Vernon. We stayed in Alexandria and there was a boat that left from there.
Alexandria, VA
Washington DC Boat Tours from Potomac River Boat, Charter a Boat or Take a Tour

Old 01-14-2008, 02:02 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,800,850 times
Research all the museums you want to see as its overwhelming. The ones that are part of the Smithsonian are, as others said, free. There are non-Smithsonian ones that charge a fee. The Zoo is free if that floats your boat.

Arlington Cemetetary is a very moving experience. Check out the JFK tomb and the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns- every half hour. Entrance is free and you can take the Blue Line there or walk across Memorial Bridge.

If you can, take a cab round trip from Dupont Circle to 34th street and back via Massachusetts Ave. Its known as Embassy Row and there are tons of chanceries with very impressive architecture. Check out the Brazillian, British and Japanese ones plus the long-closed Iranian embassy. The Vice President's residence is also there. Afterwards, grab lunch or dinner around Dupont Circle.

Both Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria are areas exemplified by excellent examples of colonial era architecture. Both have good shopping and plenty of places to eat and drink.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:43 PM

23,024 posts, read 34,413,899 times
I agree with others who said stay outside the city. I wish we had, we stayed within walking distance of the National Mall and it was a horrible experience! I loved going to Arlington Cemetery, see where JFK was buried was very moving.
I also loved the Smithsonian too and all of the monuments, so much history there.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:00 PM

5,769 posts, read 11,399,777 times
Look for a place to stay in Arlington within walking distance to a Metro stop. The Metro will be your good friend on a visit to DC, you can get from Arlington to most destinations in central part of DC in 15 minutes or so. The great thing about visiting DC is that nearly all of the best attractions are FREE. You have been paying all those federal taxes for all these years, and now it's your turn to get something in return.
I would suggest that you schedule the trip right after the HS graduation, because the summer heat and humidity usually starts to come on strong in June, July and August. If you go in early June there's a chance to escape the real hot and humid stuff. Also, you might avoid the big tourist crowds that flock there in July + August.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:10 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,336,189 times
One more thing - driving in DC is actually quite easy at night. If you want to see some sites - like Embassy Row - you can do that after rush hour and it will still be light in June during the evening.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 PM

351 posts, read 1,875,050 times
I second the Holocaust Museum and the Smithsonian. THey are definitely worth seeing. I think there's also a Spy Museum in DC, which I've seen on the internet and looks cool.

I don't know if this is still a possibility (after 9/11), but I had some meetings in DC a few years back and was surprised that the capitol was open to the public. After all, it's our Government, so why shouldn't it be, but my recollection was that it was possible to go see the building if you're "just" a citizen. I'd definitely add some visits to Government buldings, since DC is the seat of the nation's Government. White House gives tours, also. It'd be neat to see how accurate West Wing is!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:03 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,548,469 times
If you have the time; nearby Annapolis is a WONDERFUL city. Very walkable. The U.S. Naval Academy has LOTS to do for tourists and the area around the MD State House (capitol building) has many historic residences and other buildings. City Dock area is also worth a visit.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:18 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,284,913 times
I wanna go!!! Of all the years I drove truck with my husband, DC is one place I wanted to see and have time to explore, didn't happen

You and your son have a blast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel