Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I have enough air miles to get a free trip to Miami, so we were thinking about getting a flight from there to a Caribbean island for a little vacation this spring. I'm well-travelled in Mexico and Central America but the only place I've been in the Caribbean itself is Jamaica(which I enjoyed though got bored after a few days in Negril and wanted to see the rest of the island).

What we're looking for is an island where we can do more than just the standard all-inclusive tourist deal. Not that we're planning on something completely off the beaten path, but we'd like to stay some where a little more culturally interesting than a place focused on Senor Frogs and Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. We're both pretty well travelled so the standard tourist ghetto trips aren't that interesting to us. We like trying the cooking styles of the region and exploring places like local markets or trying local brands of rum and so on. I enjoy hiking and snorkeling as well, though I'd think that most places in the Caribbean are going to have good snorkeling--though some places might be exceptionally better.

As far as budget, I realize the Caribbean isn't like Central America or Southeast Asia in terms of ultra-cheap accommodations--however we'd like to be able to stay somewhere and not be looking at $150+ a night(preferably cheaper). We can enjoy a clean room with a bed and a fan not too far from the beach and bars and restaurants and not looking for high end luxury. I know it's going to be more expensive, but I figure if we can find a place for around $75-$100 a night or a place that's more like a local bed and breakfast type spot, that's be ideal.

The islands I've been thinking about are places like Grenada, St. Lucia, Barbados, Dominica or Guadeloupe--or maybe just exploring Puerto Rico, though I'm sort of more interested in the English or French or Dutch islands since I'm so used to travelling to Latin American nations. Trinidad and Tobago was another idea that sounded like an interesting mix.

Anyone familiar with any of those islands or have other suggestions for possible places to visit in this region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Trinidad and Tobago! I'm the type of traveler you mention...
These islands remain particularly un-touristy but are really quite small but such beauty of nature.

Trinidad has a much greater and widely-varied population....more busy.
We did a lot of birdwatching here and stayed in a beautiful, old rennovated hotel and also a few days at a forest inn strictly for birders. Many types of foods...the population is a mix of West African, Indian mostly.

Tobago generally only has natives from the 2 islands. And the main city is small but lively....here we really enjoyed the outdoor market....not tourist items, but where locals came to buy goods and merchandise.
Stayed in an inn on the water....with birding trips into the forests. And snorkeling...best on the west side, as the east side has waves from the sea. Wonderful, inexpensive foods....fun to see nutmeg and coffee trees growing...

The people are mostly very friendly and helpful in Tobago. Trinidad is much more worldly with a lot of crime in the main city.

Wherever you choose, enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
My girlfriend and I have enough air miles to get a free trip to Miami, so we were thinking about getting a flight from there to a Caribbean island for a little vacation this spring. I'm well-travelled in Mexico and Central America but the only place I've been in the Caribbean itself is Jamaica(which I enjoyed though got bored after a few days in Negril and wanted to see the rest of the island).

What we're looking for is an island where we can do more than just the standard all-inclusive tourist deal. Not that we're planning on something completely off the beaten path, but we'd like to stay some where a little more culturally interesting than a place focused on Senor Frogs and Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. We're both pretty well travelled so the standard tourist ghetto trips aren't that interesting to us. We like trying the cooking styles of the region and exploring places like local markets or trying local brands of rum and so on. I enjoy hiking and snorkeling as well, though I'd think that most places in the Caribbean are going to have good snorkeling--though some places might be exceptionally better.

As far as budget, I realize the Caribbean isn't like Central America or Southeast Asia in terms of ultra-cheap accommodations--however we'd like to be able to stay somewhere and not be looking at $150+ a night(preferably cheaper). We can enjoy a clean room with a bed and a fan not too far from the beach and bars and restaurants and not looking for high end luxury. I know it's going to be more expensive, but I figure if we can find a place for around $75-$100 a night or a place that's more like a local bed and breakfast type spot, that's be ideal.

The islands I've been thinking about are places like Grenada, St. Lucia, Barbados, Dominica or Guadeloupe--or maybe just exploring Puerto Rico, though I'm sort of more interested in the English or French or Dutch islands since I'm so used to travelling to Latin American nations. Trinidad and Tobago was another idea that sounded like an interesting mix.

Anyone familiar with any of those islands or have other suggestions for possible places to visit in this region?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
The only one you listed that I have traveled to is St. Lucia. It is not for the budget minded. Now I'm intrigued by Trinidad and Tobago...

Old 01-03-2013, 07:38 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
We have been to most of the C Islands the past 3 decades, usually for diving.
Some out of the way islands that we have been to & come to mind, in no particular order:
Tobago, Saba, Antigua, Nevis, Cayman Brac/Lil'Cayman, Bonaire, Dominica, St Kitts, Guadaluope, et al.

None are esp 'cheap' to get to, or inexpensive when there. All have some good topography, non tourist areas, local culture, and good people, imo.

Skip the travel agent sites, unless you have a knowledgeable/willing to work local agent. Hit the various Islands' sites, and there are plenty of guest houses, less expensive off the tourist path places to stay. Nothing beats sinking into the local life of the Caribbean for a brain refresh, imo.

GL, mD

Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,190 times
why not just go to the dominican republic? it's a sizeable enough country that you shouldn't have a problem finding what you're looking for. cheap flights from MIA/FLL and cheaper place overall than any of the countries mentioned in this thread thus far. haven't had a problem finding decent accommodation in the US$25-35/night range when i've been.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
T&T or Barbados would be my choice.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,112 times
Personally I wouldn't recommend Jamaica these days but that's just me. A few years ago hubby and I went to St. Thomas and that was beautiful. You can make that as Touristy or as non as you would like I can imagine. St Maartin is also beautiful and if you wanted to you could do a day trip to some of the neighboring islands. There is the French side / Duch side so that may give you a bit more culture to explore.

I would say that that anywhere you go and you explore some of the more off the beaten path restaurants and shops you will probably find what you are looking for. Stay in a smaller local owned B&B style accommodation vs. a large chain hotel. You'll get out of you trip what you put into it. Do some research first. Trip Advisor is a good place to start looking for a place to stay. And Frommers is a good or Chow Hound may help you find some good local places to eat or visit.

IF you end up on ST Thomas I highly recommend a Snokling Trip on a cattamaran called the castaway girl. It was excellent! The boat trip out was as much fun as the snorkeling - yes it's a group trip but it was very well done. I've done a few and this was great. We went there in 2007.

I'll add that my mom just came back (2 years ago) from a week in Grand Caymen. She said it was very much run by the cruise ships coming in and out. The island was dead except for ship days. All the locals assumed you were on a ship and the prices were very high unless you told them you were saying at such and such hotel and you knew the price was usually different. On ship days taxi's were more and so on. So I would say maybe avoid that. And if you visit another island with a ship tourist industry find out where the cruise ports are and find a hotel away from that area.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,227 times
While I'm not a huge fan of it myself, Puerto Rico has most/all of what you're looking for.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Trinidad and Tobago! I'm the type of traveler you mention...
These islands remain particularly un-touristy but are really quite small but such beauty of nature.

Trinidad has a much greater and widely-varied population....more busy.
We did a lot of birdwatching here and stayed in a beautiful, old rennovated hotel and also a few days at a forest inn strictly for birders. Many types of foods...the population is a mix of West African, Indian mostly.

Tobago generally only has natives from the 2 islands. And the main city is small but lively....here we really enjoyed the outdoor market....not tourist items, but where locals came to buy goods and merchandise.
Stayed in an inn on the water....with birding trips into the forests. And snorkeling...best on the west side, as the east side has waves from the sea. Wonderful, inexpensive foods....fun to see nutmeg and coffee trees growing...

The people are mostly very friendly and helpful in Tobago. Trinidad is much more worldly with a lot of crime in the main city.

Wherever you choose, enjoy!
Cool, I'm going to do a little more research into Trinidad and Tobago as a possibilty. I'm not worried about the crime on Trinidad as I'm used to travelling in developing nations probably worse off--but I like the idea of getting a little taste of a more urban location before checking out beaches in Tobago. I'll have to read more...

Old 01-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
While I'm not a huge fan of it myself, Puerto Rico has most/all of what you're looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
why not just go to the dominican republic? it's a sizeable enough country that you shouldn't have a problem finding what you're looking for. cheap flights from MIA/FLL and cheaper place overall than any of the countries mentioned in this thread thus far. haven't had a problem finding decent accommodation in the US$25-35/night range when i've been.
Both countries sound interesting, though I was sort of thinking of going to a non-Spanish culture island just to experience more of the culture of the British or French West Indies. The cost of the Dominican Republic is a definite plus though, and both countries would be much cheaper to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel