Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

I would say the north west section of USA except for the rain. I am not a lover of rain. We haven't been all over the world of course, how many of us have? We have visited Asia, several places in Europe and most of the Caribbean and some central America. I think I would say, if you 4 seasons is not importatn, San Diego, CA.. If you like the 4 seasons, I would say NM, especially ABQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 12:20 PM

844 posts, read 1,657,719 times
Seattle is wonderful.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 4,957 times
Default Best climate changes as you go through life

When I was younger, before a series of scopes on my knees, I wanted a good measure of 50s and 60s with low humidity to play outdoor summer sports in, tennis and ultimate specifically. When the weather really warmed up, it was off to the beach for sand volleyball. So I really enjoyed the mix of winter and summer sports. The variety was nice.

Ice skating in local parks in Madison was a nice treat, when I was in my 20s. But its a LONG winter there for just a few weeks of solid ice. And a SHORT summer for lake swimming. Same for Michigan. Lived in CO on and off, and skiing was great, especially as a local when you could pick your conditions. Sunshine, spring skiing, fewer crowds. Again, when I was younger. But CO has almost no places to swim, unless you like snow melt. And CA wasn't much better. Baywatch Pam needed a wetsuit except for July and Aug. And most CA lakes are drinking water reservoirs. Scratch swimming in those.

Now as I've gotten older, my tolerance for cold, snow and ice has vanished. Especially day in and day out. And as I'm now into my retirement years, I've also found to be true what others have said, that you want it warmer by and large. My feet and toes get cold below 70 unless I'm active -- and I'm not more than I am.

San Diego beats all the continental alternatives ... but coastal is indeed mostly gray and cool. While JUST 15mi inland can broil (95+, with no clouds, ever) in late summer. Tropical highlands (CR, Panama, Col., Ecu) are probably the ideal for me now, climate wise. Merida Venezuela if only that country would get their s*#t together. College town too. I lived for 18mos in Chapala/Ajijic and its very nice until March April May when its dry, dusty and also 90+ most days. Kunming might be nice for a bit, but there are almost no places in Asia that are remotely nice year round.

I would prefer someplace where you get some rain throughout the year, fairly evenly distributed and without an extended dry season (with no rain). Keeps things growing. Upcountry Hawaii looks interesting (which is how I stumbed on this thread). I don't mind a wet season (esp. if its at night), I just wouldn't want no rain for weeks on end.

The southern Appalachian mtns can be nice, but the culture there takes some getting used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel