Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBOSCH View Post
The Holocaust Museum is definitely worth visiting. I found it to be the most interesting museum in DC.
Seconded! There is also an underground museum near the castle: S Dillon Ripley Center which is fun to get to.

Also try and get across to Mt Vernon and Arlington Cemetary if you have time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Our last trip to DC (6th visit) we went to the "Newseum". It isn't free as it's not part of the Smithsonian complex. I liked it alot. It's in Judicuary Sq. If you have time take in a visit to the Nations Capitol building, if just for Staturary Hall. And while in that area The Library of Congress is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city and one of the first. If you get over to the Kennedy Center about 5:30 pm or so every day there is a free event at the Millenium Stage. We have been there once during Cherry Blossom time and were treated to a fabulous classical musician and then again we were there over Veterans Day in 2011 and heard the Army Band. There was even a dance floor set up for those that wanted to dance. All FREE. The Kennedy center is beautiful and you get there by going to the Foggy Bottom Metro and boarding a "free" bus that takes you both ways.

I agree with the above poster that suggests visiting Arlington National Cemetery but it will be very chilli walking through in February. The last time we were there they had discontinued the shuttle that took people through. I was disappointed as I wanted to visit my Uncle's grave but the walk would have been a mile both ways and it was getting late in the afternoon and very windy. I had visited it in the past however.

One place we always stop into is Union Station. There are some decent restaurants there and don't forget to go downstairs where the Metro and trains come in.

Have fun - I guarantee you will want to return.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 02-04-2013 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: ad

Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Our last trip to DC (6th visit) we went to the "Newseum". It isn't free as it's not part of the Smithsonian complex. I liked it alot. It's in Judicuary Sq. If you have time take in a visit to the Nations Capitol building, if just for Staturary Hall. And while in that area The Library of Congress is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city and one of the first. If you get over to the Kennedy Center about 5:30 pm or so every day there is a free event at the Millenium Stage. We have been there once during Cherry Blossom time and were treated to a fabulous classical musician and then again we were there over Veterans Day in 2011 and heard the Army Band. There was even a dance floor set up for those that wanted to dance. All FREE. The Kennedy center is beautiful and you get there by going to the Foggy Bottom Metro and boarding a "free" bus that takes you both ways.

I agree with the above poster that suggests visiting Arlington National Cemetery but it will be very chilli walking through in February. The last time we were there they had discontinued the shuttle that took people through. I was disappointed as I wanted to visit my Uncle's grave but the walk would have been a mile both ways and it was getting late in the afternoon and very windy. I had visited it in the past however.

One place we always stop into is Union Station. There are some decent restaurants there and don't forget to go downstairs where the Metro and trains come in.

Have fun - I guarantee you will want to return.

Union station also has the cheapest parking I've found in the city, if you take your car. And, you can walk right into the terminal or outside and catch the busses or Metro to anywhere.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
At the least step into the main reading room of the Library of Congress.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Night tour of monuments (on your own, not an 'offical tour' AFAIK)

Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
You MUST visit The Wall. The fullest impact is realized if you go on a dreary day. Plan on spending a couple of hours, it's that compelling.

Also plan on dinner at the Atlas Room. Amazing food, service, and atmosphere. Book now, it's hard to score a reservation.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Flying to Washington DC next week. Flight and hotel are already set.. I'll be staying at the Washington Plaza hotel right in Thomas Circle.

As of now, I don't really know too much about the city besides the obvious memorials, white house and capitol. The main thing I want to see is the Smithsonian Museum of Space and Aviation.. other than that, no idea.

Any recommendations?
wow, depending on your lenght of stay there are so many things to do and see. The first thing I would do is hop on the Tour Mobil. You can get off and on all day, get an overall view of what you want to see and then, the next day consintrate on the sights that you want to spend time exploring. Of course don't forget Alexandria and the sights around there. If time permits, one of my favorite things was to visit the little Episcopal church in old town and visit the old cemetary on the grounds. BTW, the tour mobil makes, 16 stops I think, includint the Smithsonians and ARlington cemetary, which is a must. Visiting the wall is a moving experience, depending on your age to some degree.

Of course there are no ends of places to eat. We always used to take guests to Ebbits Grill (i don't think I spelled that right) but it is worth the time. We lived in Alexandria for 7 years so are pretty familiar with what there is to see and do. Unless you have 5 days to a week you will never be able to see everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel