Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We get it. You hate Mexico and Mexicans. You posts have a definitive racist undertone to them. You've made as much of a point as you are going to. Do you have anything else to add to this conversation? It doesn't seem so.
You can spot the idiot in the crowd by the way they scream racism as soon as someone makes any kind of statement they disagree with. I do not hate Mexicans; I do however understand that the relationship between Mexico and the US is a parasitic one.
It is a fact that we have 20 million illegal aliens in the US taking jobs, using medical care, schools, welfare, food stamps, overcrowding prisons, and being a financial burden on the local, state, and Federal governments for which the taxpayer is ultimately the one paying the bill.
It is a fact that when a US citizen crosses the southern border, they are leaving their human rights behind and placing themselves in a position to be victimized by both criminals and by corrupt government officials.
It matters not what the color or language of the people who are picking your pocket, it only matters how their actions affect you.
Mexico could be an attractive tourist destination if it provided the same protections to people that other countries do, but it does not.
In years past, people were willing to gamble that they could go there and return without incident in order to enjoy the value that Mexico used to offer, but those deals for the most part no longer exist.
Today you place yourself at increased risk for a mediocre experience at basically the same price you would pay to vacation at a less risky destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,199,846 times
My cousin went to cancun on her honeymoon. Stayed at a so called nice place. They retrurned to their room and found it ramsacked and 5 k in cash stolen. NO ONE SAW NOTHING, NO ONE KNEW NOTHING BUT WHO EVER IT WAS THEY HAD A FRIGGIN KEY,,,GO FIGURE ESAY? iF YOU A GRINGO YOU BEST BE CAREFUL

Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 AM

557 posts, read 736,219 times
I won't give that country a dime until they clean up their drug and crime issues. Florida or the Carribean for me

Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,764 times
I was in Mexico this fall and had zero issues. It's an interesting country with lots to offer. Sure you stay away from the bordertowns and other crazy areas. That only makes sense, much like you avoid certain areas in every nation on earth - including the US. I never felt unsafe and I didn't stick to the tourist areas. I explored a bit. Granted I was in Southern Mexico which is very different from the north.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
My cousin went to cancun on her honeymoon. Stayed at a so called nice place. They retrurned to their room and found it ramsacked and 5 k in cash stolen. NO ONE SAW NOTHING, NO ONE KNEW NOTHING BUT WHO EVER IT WAS THEY HAD A FRIGGIN KEY,,,GO FIGURE ESAY? iF YOU A GRINGO YOU BEST BE CAREFUL

Gosh, that never happens here in the US!

Hotel crime rises in recession, but hotels say they're still safe - USATODAY.com

Old 02-09-2013, 01:37 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,184,653 times
With all the negative publicity Mexico get I fly nonstop to Jamaica.. Yes there are some bad areas there too but they don't bother tourist.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:43 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
With all the negative publicity Mexico get I fly nonstop to Jamaica.. Yes there are some bad areas there too but they don't bother tourist.

You sure? https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentRe...aspx?cid=12216

Quote:
With a population of approximately 2.7 million people, the number of murders and other violence causes Jamaica to have one of the highest per capita homicide rates in the world. Most violent crimes, especially murder, involve firearms. Violent crime is a serious problem, particularly in Kingston.

While Jamaica suffers from increased numbers of violent crimes, these occurrences do occasionally impact international visitors. Some of the major tourist areas continue to be sites for pick pocketing and petty theft. In several cases, armed robberies turned violent when the victims resisted handing over valuables. Over the past year, there were seven U.S. citizens murdered; 12 reports of rape and/or sexual assault; nine reported aggravated assaults; 37 reported robberies; one reported kidnapping; five reports of domestic violence and three reports of child abuse. The sexual assaults include one allegedly perpetrated on a mentally handicapped U.S. female citizen in her mid-20s. These numbers are not inclusive, and the numbers for rape and/or sexual assaults are believed to be under-reported. Robberies are often only reported if they result in the loss of a U.S. passport.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Your cousin was a freaking moron to be carrying $5K in cash.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
You can spot the idiot in the crowd by the way they scream racism as soon as someone makes any kind of statement they disagree with. I do not hate Mexicans; I do however understand that the relationship between Mexico and the US is a parasitic one.
It is a fact that we have 20 million illegal aliens in the US taking jobs, using medical care, schools, welfare, food stamps, overcrowding prisons, and being a financial burden on the local, state, and Federal governments for which the taxpayer is ultimately the one paying the bill.
It is a fact that when a US citizen crosses the southern border, they are leaving their human rights behind and placing themselves in a position to be victimized by both criminals and by corrupt government officials.
It matters not what the color or language of the people who are picking your pocket, it only matters how their actions affect you.
Mexico could be an attractive tourist destination if it provided the same protections to people that other countries do, but it does not.
In years past, people were willing to gamble that they could go there and return without incident in order to enjoy the value that Mexico used to offer, but those deals for the most part no longer exist.
Today you place yourself at increased risk for a mediocre experience at basically the same price you would pay to vacation at a less risky destination.
It's also a fact that you are a racist. Many of the illegals aren't from Mexico. They are from any number of Latin and Caribbean countries, Asian and European countries, and even Canada.

Without those Mexicans you'd be paying $5 a pound for tomatoes. You can just as easily be a victim in any number of European countries, and getting the police to help is equally impossible and the government are equally corrupt. People forget that part.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
A friend of mine was murdered in front of his hotel in Montego Bay. He and his wife were on their way back from dinner in the tourist area two blocks from the hotel when they were mugged. The readily handed over what they had--wedding rings, some cash. One of the thugs then stabbed my friend in the chest for no reason. Nicked his heart and he bled to death on the street in his wife's arms waiting for help.

It's my opinion that if you stay within the tourist areas, you are far safer in most of Mexico than anywhere in Jamaica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel