Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
The cruise ships still stop at Cozumel, and other than some futile and unsuccessful attempts at pickpocketing, we have never had a problem there. Thing is, we have also done all we ever care to do there, so next time we go, probably get off and stay within the cruise terminal area, drink some beer and buy some tequila to take home. We have seen the Mayan ruins, the beach, the old church, eaten in a couple of good restauants, and shopped. Last I checked that was all there is to do there.....
My husband loves the golf course there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 PM

31 posts, read 67,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you shop at WalMart you regularly give them money.
That would be China

Old 02-10-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman72 View Post
That would be China
Both.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:32 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And how many of them were ever killed even when the homicide rate was at it's highest?
Actually, quite a few:

http://didyouknow.org/kidnappings/

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2009/01/0...y-appeals.html

Security in Mexico: A foreign kidnapping victim | The Economist

Americans Being Kidnapped..

In Mexico, a bounty on every head - Los Angeles Times

American Professor Kidnapped in Mexican Border City | Fox News

Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's also a fact that you are a racist. Many of the illegals aren't from Mexico. They are from any number of Latin and Caribbean countries, Asian and European countries, and even Canada.

Without those Mexicans you'd be paying $5 a pound for tomatoes. You can just as easily be a victim in any number of European countries, and getting the police to help is equally impossible and the government are equally corrupt. People forget that part.
The only fact that has been established is that you are an idiot. $5 a pound for tomatoes would be a deal to recoup the $25 billion a year that is currently flowing out of the US and into Mexico and the $113 billion that government is spending in support services.
I do quite a bit of traveling and I am yet to meet a single person who has ever been arrested and held for ransom by the police of Canada. I know of several who have been shaken down by so called LEO in Mexico.
By the way, I have lived on the Border for 50 years and I am willing to bet I have spent considerably more time in Mexico than you have.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
I was in Mexico in 2011 for 26 days. Other than losing my ATM card (I had a credit card to back me up, and knew some friends in case I lost that!), probably in an ATM in the Merida bus station, and canceling it the next day with no suspicious activity, and having numerous days of digestive problems (I ate a lot of street food), I had no problems. I traveled from Cancun to Valladolid, YUC, to Merida, YUC, to Comalcalco / Cardenas, TAB, from where I went on road trips with a local family to pretty much all of Chiapas. It was a great trip. I also never received as much positive attention from the opposite sex as I did in Mexico.

As in all countries, there are places to be cautious or avoid altogether.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
I watched a movie one time, that took place in mexico.

It seemed safe in the movie, so therefore the entirety of Mexico must be safe.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM

814 posts, read 2,042,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
True but awful expensive....your $$$ goes much further in Mexico and some of the Caribbean Islands.
Trying to book a winter vacation in Key West costs a kings ransom

Well this is partly true but key west is a small island located all the way at the bottom of the keys. Its only a small part of the Florida keys. Its cheaper (usually by a $1000 or more) to rent a house for a week in marathon or big pine (mid to lower keys) with 3 bedrooms (VRBO) then it is to rent a house at the jersey shore for a week. and if you drive (your car) you also save the cost of airfare and car rental. If you aren't looking for 5 star luxury there are lots of places in key west to stay for less than $100 a night if you aren't going at peak travel times. Its just a feeling of safety for me I prefer to stay in this country versus having to go to a resort where they tell you not to leave the resort area/grounds for your own safety. When our goverment issues a travel warning telling me not to go to another country I can't help but take their advice.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
A five day trip was advertised by a local travel agency (airfare and hotel) to both Cancun, Mexico and Honolulu, Hawaii. The price for Mexico was $688. The price for Hawaii was $788. Both trips would involve staying in budget, rather than first class lodging. Upgrades are available for both trips and the price differential remains the same.

I've been to Cancun and I can't see going back when Hawaii costs just the tiniest bit more.

No thanks. I'm tired of dealing with real estate hucksters, police I don't think I can trust, language issues, medical care which I believe would be inferior, a legal system which is less predictable and more treacherous than our own, and a crime problem that is in no way comparable to Hawaii which has low violent crime.

There's no comparison at all. You can keep Mexico.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
A five day trip was advertised by a local travel agency (airfare and hotel) to both Cancun, Mexico and Honolulu, Hawaii. The price for Mexico was $688. The price for Hawaii was $788. Both trips would involve staying in budget, rather than first class lodging. Upgrades are available for both trips and the price differential remains the same.

I've been to Cancun and I can't see going back when Hawaii costs just the tiniest bit more.

No thanks. I'm tired of dealing with real estate hucksters, police I don't think I can trust, language issues, medical care which I believe would be inferior, a legal system which is less predictable and more treacherous than our own, and a crime problem that is in no way comparable to Hawaii which has low violent crime.

There's no comparison at all. You can keep Mexico.
I'm guessing you live on the west coast. It would cost me $800 in airfare alone to fly to Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel