Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
For the average tourist who stays within resort areas in Mexico and doesn't go looking for trouble, the chance of running into trouble is extremely slim.
Many people here in Canada base their decisions not to travel to Mexico on what is being reported as happening ON the resort, not off it. Personally, I don't care how slim the chances are of something happening to you on the resorts there. Mexico does not offer anything that can't be found at plenty of other destinations where there is no risk at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Many people here in Canada base their decisions not to travel to Mexico on what is being reported as happening ON the resort, not off it. Personally, I don't care how slim the chances are of something happening to you on the resorts there. Mexico does not offer anything that can't be found at plenty of other destinations where there is no risk at all.
Remember all those news reports of the huge riots in Athens last year? Syntagma Square can not physically hold the 50,000 people rumored to be rioting there. We were in Athens early last summer, during the second election. There was more excitement over the fact that Lynyrd Skynyrd was in town than politics.

My point is that the media loves to over blow a story. Someone getting their wallet pickpocketed turns into an armed robbery by the time they manipulate it. I'm not denying that the Spanish tourists were victims, but it also seems that they didn't do a whole lot to keep themselves safe, either.

By the way, crime isn't exclusive to Mexico, there's plenty of it in Canada as well.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
My point is that the media loves to over blow a story. Someone getting their wallet pickpocketed turns into an armed robbery by the time they manipulate it. I'm not denying that the Spanish tourists were victims, but it also seems that they didn't do a whole lot to keep themselves safe, either.
If this is commonplace everywhere, why do Canadian news sources seem to report on Mexico more than anywhere else. I don't for a minute believe is is a conspiracy by the Canadian news agency to pick on Mexico exclusively.

Quote:
By the way, crime isn't exclusive to Mexico, there's plenty of it in Canada as well.
This is simply the most ridiculous retort I have heard when discussing corruption and crime in Mexico.

Mexico?s crime wave has left about 25,000 missing, government documents show - Washington Post

Female homicides in Ciudad Juárez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Killings grow more gruesome as Mexican drug cartels try to out-shock - The National

Commentary: Corruption, Drug Cartels and the Mexican Police | The National Interest

And let's not forget this little gem:

Mexican police appear on video kidnapping murder victims - World - CBC News

If you think this resembles Canada in any way, shape or form, you need your head examined.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
If this is commonplace everywhere, why do Canadian news sources seem to report on Mexico more than anywhere else. I don't for a minute believe is is a conspiracy by the Canadian news agency to pick on Mexico exclusively.

This is simply the most ridiculous retort I have heard when discussing corruption and crime in Mexico.

Mexico?s crime wave has left about 25,000 missing, government documents show - Washington Post

Female homicides in Ciudad Juárez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Killings grow more gruesome as Mexican drug cartels try to out-shock - The National

Commentary: Corruption, Drug Cartels and the Mexican Police | The National Interest

And let's not forget this little gem:

Mexican police appear on video kidnapping murder victims - World - CBC News

If you think this resembles Canada in any way, shape or form, you need your head examined.
Show me where a single one of those incidents happened in a resort. There is more crime in Canada then there is INSIDE the RESORTS in Mexico.

Why your news media is so focused on mexico is beyond me. Ours takes a more world view approach.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:17 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
About 35 years ago I went to Central Medico, Copper Canyon, on a train. I went with two friends. We speak limited Spanish. I wanted to see where my Grandmother was born. This was a fun trip. We were perfectly safe. No danger. Except when I ate a very hot chili pepper, I was crying and had a runny nose for a half hour or more.

We stayed mainly with people in our church, LDS. We had a great trip. Met some lifelong friends on that trip. One family even sent their teenage son to come live with us for a year of high school.

This was perfectly safe....I don't think I would even think of such a trip now in Central Mexico. Three young girls travelling alone...crazy.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Show me where a single one of those incidents happened in a resort. There is more crime in Canada then there is INSIDE the RESORTS in Mexico.

Why your news media is so focused on mexico is beyond me. Ours takes a more world view approach.
Probably because of the amount of Canadians that have been killed or otherwise victimized while they were there.

Woman beaten by unknown assailants and left for dead in Mexican resort elevator:
Sheila Nabb, Mexico beating victim, out of hospital in Calgary | News | National Post

Man Shot in Head Three Times in Mexican Resort Hotel
Metro Vancouver man murdered in Mexico a victim of botched robbery

19 Year Old Dies in Mysterious Circumstances at Mexican Resort
Man. teen dies from apparent balcony fall in Mexico | CTV News

Woodbridge Couple Found Slain in Resort Hotel Room
CBC News Indepth: Mexico Killings

These were found rather quickly and do not include the several Canadians that have gone "missing" while on vacation in Mexico, nor does it include Canadian ex-pats that have been slain in their own homes while living there. Seriously... You have to be painfully naive to think Mexico is a safe place to visit.

It seems YOUR media is taking the "head in the sand" approach.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Probably because of the amount of Canadians that have been killed or otherwise victimized while they were there.

Woman beaten by unknown assailants and left for dead in Mexican resort elevator:
Sheila Nabb, Mexico beating victim, out of hospital in Calgary | News | National Post
This one is terrible, I'll give you that.

Quote:
Man Shot in Head Three Times in Mexican Resort Hotel
Metro Vancouver man murdered in Mexico a victim of botched robbery
What kind of moron flashes around money and then arbitrarily lets someone into their hotel room. Anyone with common sense knows that if you didn't call the hotel for something (room service, extra towels, etc.) that you verify with the desk that the person knocking at your door is legitimate before opening it--even in American and Canadian hotels.

Quote:
19 Year Old Dies in Mysterious Circumstances at Mexican Resort
Man. teen dies from apparent balcony fall in Mexico | CTV News
Sure, after drinking a 12-pack and was so intoxicated that security got involved. Derp.

Quote:
Woodbridge Couple Found Slain in Resort Hotel Room
CBC News Indepth: Mexico Killings
Another moron who opened their door to someone.

Quote:
These were found rather quickly and do not include the several Canadians that have gone "missing" while on vacation in Mexico, nor does it include Canadian ex-pats that have been slain in their own homes while living there. Seriously... You have to be painfully naive to think Mexico is a safe place to visit.
Yup, three in six years--there's no evidence that the third one was anything more than a drunk falling off a balcony. A real crime wave, eh?

Quote:
It seems YOUR media is taking the "head in the sand" approach.
Nope, there just isn't a story. There's more crime against tourists in Miami than Mexico--most of it is preventable if people would have some common sense.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
People in the US seem to have some kind of distorted idea about Mexico that everybody rides around on burros and wears sombreros. Go to google maps and pick any fair-sized city in Mexico and do a street view and you will be amazed how Mexican cities, look very, very much like American cities.

As with the mean streets of the South Side of Chicago, or Detroit or even Toledo, for that matter, there are bad people who kill other people for money, or drugs or *whatever*. I do not believe, on a per capita basis that Mexico is any worse than any large city in the United States.

It serves companies like Time Warner (who own CNN) to report of these heinous crimes that are occurring in Mexico, so that tourism dollars will be spent on vacations to Disneyworld and other companies owned by them rather than Acapulco.

I have a cousin that lives in Mexico and several other people I know who are living or have lived there in the past. Rurally, it may be considered a 3rd world country, but in the urban centers, it is virtually indistinguishable from the United States.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
People in the US seem to have some kind of distorted idea about Mexico that everybody rides around on burros and wears sombreros. Go to google maps and pick any fair-sized city in Mexico and do a street view and you will be amazed how Mexican cities, look very, very much like American cities.

As with the mean streets of the South Side of Chicago, or Detroit or even Toledo, for that matter, there are bad people who kill other people for money, or drugs or *whatever*. I do not believe, on a per capita basis that Mexico is any worse than any large city in the United States.
Agreed

Quote:
It serves companies like Time Warner (who own CNN) to report of these heinous crimes that are occurring in Mexico, so that tourism dollars will be spent on vacations to Disneyworld and other companies owned by them rather than Acapulco.
Check your facts, CNN/Time Warner does not own ABC/Disney. They are actually in direct competition with them. Tiem Warner has divested itself of theme parks and all other non-media (TV/movies/music/magazines/etc.) ventures.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
I won't give that country a dime until they clean up their drug and crime issues. Florida or the Carribean for me
Try Hawaii. that is my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel