Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Can't believe no one has mentioned Tampa which regularly gets voted best airport in the US. I also agree regarding Detroit, particularly Delta's new terminal there. In terms of worst Orlando has gone downhill in my opinion. The security lines are a horror show (30 minutes or more) with no separation for families versus frequent travelers. It's a real blast standing behind a 100 yard line of people who have to be constantly reminded to take off their shoes, empty their pockets, take off their belts etc and still manage to hold everything up because they set off the scanner. Philadelphia is just plain weird. They can't seem to figure out how to get regularly scheduled flights (same time every day) out on time. In keeping with the city, the bathrooms are always filthy and for some reason the arrival of a regularly scheduled flight seems to be a surprise for the illustrious grounds crews as evidenced by sitting in the plane for several minutes waiting for someone to hook up the jetway. Oh...and let's not forget the long wait for checked bags to get from the plane to the carousel.
Agree with you on MCO and security. Also all of the shopping and food is outside the sterile concourse. Because security is so long, you have to get there early, and then just wait with nothing to do or eat. Agree on the wait for checked bags--I typically travel carry on, the last time I had to check I waited two freaking hours!

I don't think TPA is all that. Traffic to get there is nothing short of horrendous and I think it's really showing it's age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Hate hate hate & avoid at all costs Atlanta

Like Savannah & New Orleans guess I just prefer the smaller airports

Old 02-08-2013, 07:25 AM

New Orleans can be a mess, and there is a distinct lack of decent places to eat--pitiful for a city well known for it's cuisine.

The last time I was there my cab was hit by a crazy woman who then unleashed a barrage of racist comments against the cab driver--even though the accident was clearly and totally her fault. I finally got inside and the security lines were outrageous. Once inside the sterile concourse, Subway was the best option for food.

Seriously bad experience and it made me never want to go back.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
New Orleans can be a mess, and there is a distinct lack of decent places to eat--pitiful for a city well known for it's cuisine.

The last time I was there my cab was hit by a crazy woman who then unleashed a barrage of racist comments against the cab driver--even though the accident was clearly and totally her fault. I finally got inside and the security lines were outrageous. Once inside the sterile concourse, Subway was the best option for food.

Seriously bad experience and it made me never want to go back.
Wow shocked...our flight was delayed there for over two hours once and because airport is small and security lines were a trickle hubby was free to go out and have a couple of smokes a few times.

I don't judge airports on food as it's all just fast food junk...do not expect to find a gourmet eatery in an airport.
I judge by how easy they are to navigate, the politeness of employees if asking for help , cleanliness

Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,975 times
I don't get all the MSP love, we fly there quite a bit (to visit family) and it's "ok" - but I like our airport (San Diego) much better.

Don't like John Wayne (Orange County) - runway is too short!

LAX - Yuck

Honolulu - Also ok, just hate the hassle of the agriculture inspection.

Recently came thru Houston - blech, the foodcourt had a hotdog place with a overpowering "hotdog smell".

Also - Pensacola, people are friendly and the carts are FREE.

I don't shop at airports so I don't care much about which stores are there. I am traveling with my toddler so now days - I like "family restrooms", areas where she has some space to get her wiggle on, and being able to buy some fresh fruit and milk for travel for her.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
A big thumbs up for Sea-Tac in Seattle. It's beautiful especially the big windows by the run ways. The food was pretty good as well. Two thumbs down for Miami. I've been through there several times and never had a good experience.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM

266 posts, read 402,707 times
I despise JFK, have had some pretty bad experiences there, probably just because I've used it so often. But I've also used LGA quite a bit and haven't had too many major issues there. Have had mostly excellent experiences at LAX & McCarran. Had the typical issues with terminals at Heathrow, I dislike its setup. I've been treated poorly by fellow travelers and employees alike at CDG. But I'd say the worst experience I've had overall was at Perth - I've only flown out of there once, but I must've chosen a terrible day. I don't know what was going on, but the attendants literally boarded us onto the wrong plane. We were supposed to be going to Dubai, the flight they boarded us on was headed for Stockholm. ??? So everyone had to deplane and our actual flight was delayed as a result. Ok, maybe that wasn't so horrible.. I've had worse at JFK, but it was just...so...stupid! Any other airports have not been notable either way in my experiences, so I suppose that's a good thing.

All in all, the busiest airports are typically the worst just because they have so much going on. Can't blame them for everything.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I don't get all the MSP love, we fly there quite a bit (to visit family) and it's "ok" - but I like our airport (San Diego) much better.

Don't like John Wayne (Orange County) - runway is too short!

LAX - Yuck

Honolulu - Also ok, just hate the hassle of the agriculture inspection.

Recently came thru Houston - blech, the foodcourt had a hotdog place with a overpowering "hotdog smell".

Also - Pensacola, people are friendly and the carts are FREE.

I don't shop at airports so I don't care much about which stores are there. I am traveling with my toddler so now days - I like "family restrooms", areas where she has some space to get her wiggle on, and being able to buy some fresh fruit and milk for travel for her.
Forgot about San Diego...like that airport as well

Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 AM

443 posts, read 877,534 times
If we're talking international, then it's Amsterdam hands down. By far the best airport I've ever been to with the best amenities you could imagine.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Wow shocked...our flight was delayed there for over two hours once and because airport is small and security lines were a trickle hubby was free to go out and have a couple of smokes a few times.

I don't judge airports on food as it's all just fast food junk...do not expect to find a gourmet eatery in an airport.
I judge by how easy they are to navigate, the politeness of employees if asking for help , cleanliness
You might not expect to find gourmet food in an airport, but there are airports where you will find it.

Louis Armstrong is really lacking in the food department regardless of how you look at it. It's about double the size of PVD, yet PVD has two good full service restaurants accessible on the sterile concourse by all gates.

If you've spent as much time in airports as I have, you'd feel the same way. Thank God for Legal Seafood and Wolfgang Puck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel