Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,778,062 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

oh gosh, we go to Ireland all the time (dublin, snn, belfast if we need to ) dosnt matter. Try Cheapoair also. I have gotten good deals from them.

The problem is Belfast ; not all airlines go into there. How about flying to Birmingham and then connecting to Newark? Or Manchester?

Issue is also your dad. He needs to be more cooperative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 03:19 PM

6,343 posts, read 11,538,862 times
Bumping the thread up to 2014

I'm having sticker shock. Not so much that fares have gone up - I was expecting that, but because prices from the eastern US to the UK seem to be the same as the rest of europe. Back in the day you could expect a 20-30% discount. After all, UK is closer.

Interesting comment about the L 65 tax at Heathrow. Should I expect the same at Gatwick?

I've tried multiple sites and they all seem to be about the same $1050 or so in april, $1200 if it's late april to may.

The price seems to be the same whether I depart Knoxville or ATL, or land in Bristol rather than London. Would I avoid the departure tax in Bristol, is that the difference? Like it's one price for jumping the puddle and wherever you start or land is irrelevant.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,752,433 times
Prices are up pretty much across the board for transatlantic. The airlines seem to feel like the demand is there to support that pricing. You can often do a little better by flying into Dublin, Ireland these days. I can find ATL-DUB right now as an United-Aer Lingus codeshare on Hipmunk for $893- depart May 14, return May 21.

If you're interested in southern Europe and can get yourself to Washington Dulles, Turkish Air has done some aggressive pricing in the past year and you might find another one of their specials. Other than that, set up fare alerts at web sites like Skyscanner and Airfare Watchdog and keep an eye on the airfares section of Flyertalk and you might luck into a blip in the system that'll knock $100-$200 off the cost of the flight.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:57 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,400,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Prices are up pretty much across the board for transatlantic. The airlines seem to feel like the demand is there to support that pricing. You can often do a little better by flying into Dublin, Ireland these days. I can find ATL-DUB right now as an United-Aer Lingus codeshare on Hipmunk for $893- depart May 14, return May 21.
I agree with this. I found a deal through Aer Lingus directly where I am flying nonstop NY (JFK) to Dublin for $700 (includes all fees and taxes) in May. If you are looking to get into the UK on the cheap, it may be beneficial to find a deal into Dublin then take a cheap European carrier into the UK like Ryanair or easyJet.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 PM

9,715 posts, read 7,402,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Why do they take such a hike in the summer? Its pathrtic, i priced bfs to ewr for march and it is £350. Now in july it is like £1200. I think that is a ripp off, continental economy service is not worth that.

We are thinking about heading over (not via london we refuse to add 2 hours onto a 7 hour journey). Where can we find the cheapest flights?

I would love to get it for £500.
Economics 101. Supply and demand. The demand is higher, so they can raise the prices.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,795,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Puzzled here. It doesn't make any sense to fly to the east coast of you want to end up on the west coast. There are non-stops from London to Seattle and surely they also have non-stops from London to San Francisco and Los Angeles, in California. Very likely there are non-stops from Dublin to San Francisco.

People only fly into Newark if they are going to New York City.
A lot of people connect in Newark to/from all kinds of places as opposed to just a portal to/from NYC only. EWR is a United hub and they have a lot of direct flights to European cities with 757's that other airlines in the U.S and Canada don't serve on an all year basis. I've flown from Toronto and connected in EWR with direct flights to Edinburgh and Barcelona on two separate occasions. Flying out of Toronto I would have had to connect in Europe to those places and it is more expensive at times.

Anyway - point is EWR is a pretty big hub airport with good European connectivity so many can avoid a connection in Europe.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-28-2014 at 09:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel