Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 05:37 PM

280 posts, read 421,897 times

Advertisements

I checked into a hotel and let them know it was my young child's birthday and we wanted a quiet room. They gave us an adjoining room. At 1030, the people next door checked in and started making a lot of noise. I had to pack my daughter up and move us to another room. I asked the clerk why I wasn't informed that it was an adjoining room and he said it's not the hotel's policy. It was not a cheap rate, either. I feel like they just stick anyone in an adjoining room and hope it works out when they KNOW that the sound is much louder under the adjoining doors. Anyone else have this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 08:01 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
I don't think any hotel specifically tells you that the room you book has an adjoining door. I have never had an issue hearing excess noise through adjoining doors but I presume that would be very property-specific. Just like some hotels seem to have paper thin walls, others are dead quiet.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:14 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
The hotel doesn't really have any way to know whether or not the people who check in after you are going to be loud.

Did you specify that you did not want a room that had an adjoining room? If not, I can't see where you have a complaint.

I also don't see what your child's birthday has to do with you thinking you have a special right to a quiet room. In fact, I bet the clerk assumed that you were going to be celebrating in the room and making more noise than usual, yourself.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:36 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
So you clerk was able to find you a quiet room at 10:30-11:00 after people booked in the room next to you started to make noise - something they would have no possibility to project when initially placing you - yet you're still complaining?!

It looks like everything was resolved just fine and people can be loud in the room next to you with or without an adjoining room feature - while moving probably wasn't the most convenient option it's probably the fastest and easiest outcome to a tough situation

Old 11-25-2013, 02:26 PM

16,666 posts, read 17,430,851 times
I've stayed in some pretty fancy places and it's never guaranteed that it's going to be quiet.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:29 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
A hotel's first move to find you a quiet room has little to do with the inside of the room, and almost everything to do with sticking you as far away from the adjacent 8 lane interstate highway, nearby noisy night club, wing where they stick junior sports teams, or constantly running ice machine. Wouldn't occur to most clerks that adjoining doors were to be avoided.

So they moved you on request, and likely see that as satisfactorily resolving a customer complaint. If it's a chain and you escalate the complaint to the mothership, the best you'll get is a token number of points in their loyalty program.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
It was your daughters B-Day and the motel NEIGHBORS were noisy? (Envisioning a herd of little kids blowing whistles and popping balloons...)

Next time ask for an 'end' room, 50% less likely to have noisy neighbors.

And Yet Another reason I have been staying in GUEST "hospitality" homes for over 25 yrs, especially nice when traveling with family! ($10/night worldwide)

In hundreds of stays...only one time was noisy; in the rural Basque region of Spain. I think they had a regional ETA meeting at 3 AM, very interesting and suspiciously tucked into a remote mtn farm and all the sudden have 30+ people arrive at 3AM. The kids slept through it. They enjoyed feeding the cows through the hatch in the floor of our second story apartment above the main house and barn.

EARLY is normal when you stay on a Dairy Farm. The kids are not always keen to get up at 4:30 AM to help Milk Cows, but it is good for their 'character', and avails an early start to the day. Many hospitality farms with kids at home to play with are Dairy Farmers. It is Fun! for all. Often we stay and help out a few days and ride tractors and horses (for free of course). Great place for kid's B-DAY when traveling. Spending it with another family, often a strange culture. and only $10 (including meals, B-day cake...)

Give Motels, and Hotels the BOOT!
http://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Adjoining only means next to each other. Connecting means a door between. You should have specifically asked for non-connecting.

I wouldn't stay in a guest home. I prefer the privacy and amenities of a hotel. I don't travel to shovel $^*+ for my room and board.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:17 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
I checked into a hotel and let them know it was my young child's birthday and we wanted a quiet room. They gave us an adjoining room. At 1030, the people next door checked in and started making a lot of noise. I had to pack my daughter up and move us to another room. I asked the clerk why I wasn't informed that it was an adjoining room and he said it's not the hotel's policy. It was not a cheap rate, either. I feel like they just stick anyone in an adjoining room and hope it works out when they KNOW that the sound is much louder under the adjoining doors. Anyone else have this happen?
U DID get a quiet room. Ur room that you were in was quiet.. the room NEXT DOOR was noisy so they did exactly as u asked.. And what was the idea behind being quiet for ur childs birthday? Arent they supposed to be a happy occasion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel