Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I don't know how many days late they returned, but I assume part of the intent for the $500 was for lost wages. It would have paid for three days of mine.
They were supposed to be back Monday morning--early enough for many to go from the port to their office and not miss a days work. They didn't get home until Saturday at the earliest. So they missed minimum four days work, some would have missed the entire week. Even for those planning on taking Monday off, they would have been out four days wages, which for most people who could afford a cruise, would have been more than $500.

I don't think Carnival did those people right--they lost wages, had a crappy vacation with vacation time they won't get back, and have to spend more money with Carnival to use the cruise credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why sue? Can I sue an airline if my vacation is affected by a late flight and I had to be inconvenienced by sitting in an airport? Can I sue a campground if it rains and ruins some of my vacation plans?
Chances are that if you are sitting in the airport without being re-booked for more than a few hours, it's due to weather, and that's an act of God. It's the same thing with rain. I fly a lot and have never had a mechanical problem delay my flight more than six hours--and that was an overseas flight. They notified me of the delay hours in advance (long before I needed to go to the airport), and I spent the time exploring the beautiful city I was in rather than sitting in a filthy airport using a trash can as a toilet and forced to endure the stench of raw sewage and rooting food for five days. Huge difference.

I've never had a domestic flight delayed by mechanical problems for more than a few hours. Either they fix it or they re-book people onto other flights that get them to their destination a couple hours late. Big difference.

Quote:
All kinds of people have vacations that didn't go as they planned but because rich people take cruises, nothing ever can go wrong for them? Some people work hard and don't even get to travel for vacation.
The people sailing Carnival are far from rich. Their demographic is working class.

I wouldn't "sue" but I'd be demanding a whole lot more from Carnival then what they are giving those people.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They were supposed to be back Monday morning--early enough for many to go from the port to their office and not miss a days work. They didn't get home until Saturday at the earliest. So they missed minimum four days work, some would have missed the entire week. Even for those planning on taking Monday off, they would have been out four days wages, which for most people who could afford a cruise, would have been more than $500.

I don't think Carnival did those people right--they lost wages, had a crappy vacation with vacation time they won't get back, and have to spend more money with Carnival to use the cruise credit.
Well, they could have provided $1500 to $2000 and skip the cruise credit entirely. It's likely that a lot of them won't attempt another cruise, anyway.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Many cruise lines give cruise credit, not full out refunds, not just Carnival. They don't have to give the passengers anything, to be honest, but they do it as a gesture of "good will" and hoping the people will give them another chance. If the people don't use it, they don't.

Also, one does not have to be "rich" to go on a cruise. You can go on a cruise for less than $500. Further, many of those who do cruise are repeat customers. While Carnival does have some of the cheaper (expense wise) cruises many can take, a lot of those customers have been on other cruises and know it isn't always this way. And yes, there are some who cruise frequently that complain about everything trying to get money out of the cruise line.

Of course these people had a bad experience and missed work...which is why one should always schedule extra days AFTER the cruise or any vacation for that matter because you never know when something will happen...on any type of vacation. (Besides the fact that if you do a cruise right, it's fricken exhausting and you need some days after to rest up and recover.)

Was it miserable? Yes. But criminal charges is downright ridiculous.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I can't rep you again. My thoughts exactly. I'm embarrassed that this has been our headline news for the past four or five days. People had five days of discomfort and are getting a refund for it.
Yep. Help me. There is an accident. Oh, now pay me. That isn't enough. Pay me more. Lots more. No, that still isn't enough. Give me more money. I'm traumitized; I can't leave my house now. I'm scared of the sunlight. Pay me more. I'm scared of the moonlight. Pay me more. I can't eat mushrooms anymore. Pay me more. I have a scab on my foot. Pay me more.

This has nothing to do with anything, except for the normal 10% on this cruise, who are lazy and want someone else to pay their way. They have found their ticket and are looking for nothing more then getting it punched.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Perhaps a good question that ought to be asked here is this:

How much money would you accept for the experience of having been stuck on an ocean liner in similar circumstances?

"Ladies and Gentleman. I work for Carnival Cruise Lines and I have a deal for you. We'll put you on a boat that will have an engine fire out in the middle of the ocean. That alone will scare you. You'll wonder if you those lifeboat drills we put everyone through are going to actually require you to abandon ship. Than, when the power fails after the engine fire, guess what? All the toilets will back up. Sewage will run down the walls of many of the cabins. Of course, the whole ship will smell worse than an out house. Since the toilets don't work, you'll have to relieve yourselves in a plastic bag and deal with the mess after you do that. You won't be able to eat normally because of the circumstances. Many of you will get nauseated and throw up. And, all you people--even those in your 70's and 80's will all sleep outdoors on deck next to one another like sardines because you certainly won't want to back inside the ship. Oh, and by the way....we won't get you back to port on time."

I don't think $500 and a free cruise credit would come close to doing it for me. Does anyone else feel its a fair exchange?

Last edited by markg91359; 02-18-2013 at 10:05 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Well other travelers have been killed or injured in plane crashes, bus crashes, or they were driving and their vehicle broke down. Sometimes things just don't go as perfectly as you hoped. There have been cruise ships that sank and people drowned.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

How much money would you accept for the experience of having been stuck on an ocean liner in similar circumstances?

"Ladies and Gentleman. I work for Carnival Cruise Lines and I have a deal for you. We'll put you on a boat that will have an engine fire out in the middle of the ocean. That alone will scare you. You'll wonder if you those lifeboat drills we put everyone through are going to actually require you to abandon ship. Than, when the power fails after the engine fire, guess what? All the toilets will back up. Sewage will run down the walls of many of the cabins. Of course, the whole ship will smell worse than an out house. Since the toilets don't work, you'll have to relieve yourselves in a plastic bag and deal with the mess after you do that. You won't be able to eat normally because of the circumstances. Many of you will get nauseated and throw up. And, all you people--even those in your 70's and 80's will all sleep outdoors on deck next to one another like sardines because you certainly won't want to back inside the ship. Oh, and by the way....we won't get you back to port on time."

I don't think $500 and a free cruise credit would come close to doing it for me. Does anyone else feel its a fair exchange?
they also got a refund of the original cruise.

for anyone who wouldn't be happy with a refund, a future cruise and the $500, the opportunity to embrace the role of whining martyr the rest of their lives should satisfy their victim mentality and make everything right.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Looks like the problems didn't end once they landed. Looks like one bus broke down on way to New Orleans and those on another bus lost their luggage. Cruise passengers became comrades on trip home - WMDT 47 News - Delmarva's Choice
After reading that article the ones who really had it bad were the poor crew!!!! Hope Carnival is going to do something for them as well...yes I know it's their job but would any of us want to work in those conditions??

Old 02-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

That wouldn't even cover my lost wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel