Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,640,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland
I think this thread has said that. Money from inheritance, money from great pension, money because company pays for it, frequent flier miles that you needed money for in the first place.

Let's face it, most of us wanting to travel aren't interested in big tvs and new cars, no matter what the trolls say. I did my European travel by camping many years ago but today I wouldn't even be able to afford the flight over there. Back then airfare was cheap.

The dollar is weak compared to a lot of other currencies and prices of everything have gone up. You an stay in the cheapest places and cook for yourself and you still can't do it. Travel has mostly reverted to being a luxury for the rich. Mostly, not always.

I believe that's pretty much untrue for most people. Maybe if you somehow spent yourself into a huge debt (though maybe you should abscond elsewhere anyway) or are having domestic issues (caring for an invalid loved one and/or having to financially support others) then I can understand this, but outside of that there are so many routes towards going abroad that I find it pretty difficult to believe someone who prioritizes travel would find it hard to do so.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You left out money from working 2 jobs, from working overtime, from smart investments, from never going out drinking, from choosing to have a roommate even tho' you can easily afford to live alone, from always cooking at home, from choosing not to use credit cards, from choosing not to have kids in your early 20's...I could give examples all day.

Self righteous examples that cite things that I (and many people) are already doing and have always done won't gain you any points.

I have never spent myself into huge debt, our car is a 1997 paid for, neither my husband or I ever drink, we do not eat out and we make all our meals from scratch, his kids are grown and live in another country, I use a gas credit card that gives me points and I pay it off, we're going to have a room mate in an 800 sq foot rental??

Sure, when you're a kid, maybe you can do it. I did it in my twenties, traveled to Europe when airfare was really CHEAP and slept in a tent in many different countries. Airfare back to the UK for my husband and myself would now be out of the question. We're too old to backpack anymore. Investments? We don't have money for that--my "mistake" was my previous marriage where my ex became a compulsive spender and used up all our money. Working two jobs? Been there, done that. Overtime? Not when you're a librarian.

We are older adults who have to pay rent and utilities and buy groceries. We use pay as you go cell phones (that we save for emergencies only) and our tv is so small you probably couldn't even see it. We have the lowest cable plan available and we'd drop it altogether except it includes internet which would be more expensive without it. We don't have ipads, etc.

I'm almost positive that we spend much less than you do but we have medical bills to pay and we pay our rent on time as well as utilities.

If you want to insult people, how about living at home with mommy and daddy and making them pay for your health insurance? Having everything given to you without having to work for it. Probably not any more true in your case/s than what either of you said about my situation.

The fact is it is very expensive to travel these days. My dh would love to go back to England and so would I but the number of relatives to stay with has dwindled (people die or they move to very small homes), even the cheap motels are not that cheap and B&Bs are not the cheap deal they used to be. Renting a camper and driving has crossed our minds but the cost of petrol over there is outrageous and only gets worse.

Really, the stereotype of people over spending, going out drinking, and being irresponsible with credit cards is wearing thin; backpacking only works when you're younger. I could be smug too and brag about how I traveled on the cheap but it's simply not cheap anymore. Face the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,397,576 times
Default Interesting Topic

I have a friend who would travel consistently every year. Her vacations were three or four weeks because she had that much time on her job. She planned her trips with a travel agent at the beginning of the year and paid on it monthly until the time for her trips arrived. Now, since she's had to switch jobs and has less vacation time, she travels less. She was able to afford traveling because she saved for it throughout the year and made payments on the vacation she planned to take.

I think vacationing in America is different because our time off is usually only one to two weeks per year. So, saving and selecting a vacationing spot for this short period of time, for many, is useless. We have 50 states, and that's about all you can travel (individually) given one to two weeks of paid leave. Europe, Asia, Africa, and Austrailia are all very far destinations for most Americans, so traveling 10 to 16 hours for only one week of vacation, is costly and timely.

In Europe, going to another country is often closer and cheaper, plus, you have more time to spend there! Affording vacation I think has more to do also with what most view as attainable. I plan on traveling a lot during my mid forties through my sixties...with children! For us, affording it will include using credit cards (and paying them off); using house swaping/exchanging; flying off season; and staying longer than two weeks on a continent. This way, our expenses will mimic our usual expenses. Once DH retires, he's time off will be limitless. So, I think "affordability" is unique to each person's situation.

Also, how one likes to live will affect affordability. Some people just won't stay at a hotel that is less than say, 4 Stars, etc.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,603,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Quote:

If you want to insult people, how about living at home with mommy and daddy and making them pay for your health insurance? Having everything given to you without having to work for it. Probably not any more true in your case/s than what either of you said about my situation.

You called people trolls for saying traveling can happen if you plan and save enough. And now you're crying about insults.

You then assumed I don't pay my rent on time and have never had medical bills, and then cry about people making assumptions about you.

I hate people like you.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 PM

I gave examples of people I personally know that choose to spend money on cigs, booze and eating out, you called it being a troll to say those people cry about not being able to afford travel..Being dramatic and thin skinned won't gain you any points.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM

Plus I never said anything about Europe not being expensive..Montreal is one of my favorite places to vacation. Same with Jamaica and Mexico...You assumed I was talking about Europe..You're quick to make assumptions.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,360,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
400,000 for a house? That is a bargain.

It is not unusual to spend $6-10,000 for a family summer vacation abroad here in Norway.
$400k for a house is on the low end where I live.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 PM

37,104 posts, read 39,303,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland
I think this thread has said that. Money from inheritance, money from great pension, money because company pays for it, frequent flier miles that you needed money for in the first place.

Let's face it, most of us wanting to travel aren't interested in big tvs and new cars, no matter what the trolls say. I did my European travel by camping many years ago but today I wouldn't even be able to afford the flight over there. Back then airfare was cheap.

The dollar is weak compared to a lot of other currencies and prices of everything have gone up. You an stay in the cheapest places and cook for yourself and you still can't do it. Travel has mostly reverted to being a luxury for the rich. Mostly, not always.

I believe that's pretty much untrue for most people. Maybe if you somehow spent yourself into a huge debt (though maybe you should abscond elsewhere anyway) or are having domestic issues (caring for an invalid loved one and/or having to financially support others) then I can understand this, but outside of that there are so many routes towards going abroad that I find it pretty difficult to believe someone who prioritizes travel would find it hard to do so.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You left out money from working 2 jobs, from working overtime, from smart investments, from never going out drinking, from choosing to have a roommate even tho' you can easily afford to live alone, from always cooking at home, from choosing not to use credit cards, from choosing not to have kids in your early 20's...I could give examples all day.

Self righteous examples that cite things that I (and many people) are already doing and have always done won't gain you any points.

I have never spent myself into huge debt, our car is a 1997 paid for, neither my husband or I ever drink, we do not eat out and we make all our meals from scratch, his kids are grown and live in another country, I use a gas credit card that gives me points and I pay it off, we're going to have a room mate in an 800 sq foot rental??

Sure, when you're a kid, maybe you can do it. I did it in my twenties, traveled to Europe when airfare was really CHEAP and slept in a tent in many different countries. Airfare back to the UK for my husband and myself would now be out of the question. We're too old to backpack anymore. Investments? We don't have money for that--my "mistake" was my previous marriage where my ex became a compulsive spender and used up all our money. Working two jobs? Been there, done that. Overtime? Not when you're a librarian.

We are older adults who have to pay rent and utilities and buy groceries. We use pay as you go cell phones (that we save for emergencies only) and our tv is so small you probably couldn't even see it. We have the lowest cable plan available and we'd drop it altogether except it includes internet which would be more expensive without it. We don't have ipads, etc.

I'm almost positive that we spend much less than you do but we have medical bills to pay and we pay our rent on time as well as utilities.

The fact is it is very expensive to travel these days. My dh would love to go back to England and so would I but the number of relatives to stay with has dwindled (people die or they move to very small homes), even the cheap motels are not that cheap and B&Bs are not the cheap deal they used to be. Renting a camper and driving has crossed our minds but the cost of petrol over there is outrageous and only gets worse.

Really, the stereotype of people over spending, going out drinking, and being irresponsible with credit cards is wearing thin; backpacking only works when you're younger. I could be smug too and brag about how I traveled on the cheap but it's simply not cheap anymore. Face the facts.
The tone of your post is pretty self-righteous isn't it? The sort of strategies or generalizations people have stated aren't going to cover absolutely everyone and that's a given. I'm sorry if traveling on the cheap won't work out for you any more and that your target is England which is quite expensive. One thing that occurred to me is that you might consider switching to another target where living expenses there are actually much cheaper and since health is a consideration, you might be able to do some medical tourism and actually end up saving more from your vacation (depending on what you need done or checked).

Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
You called people trolls for saying traveling can happen if you plan and save enough. And now you're crying about insults.

You then assumed I don't pay my rent on time and have never had medical bills, and then cry about people making assumptions about you.

I hate people like you.
Thank you for your hatred.

I did not say you didn't pay your rent on time, I said I paid my rent on time. I also said I had medical bills. I also said I didn't have many relatives to stay with anymore. I said I drive a paid for 1997 car. It was not about you and you shouldn't have taken it that way.

You made generalizations about people boozing, eating out, using too many credit cards and I'm saying that these generalizations are getting old and that I really don't think too many people really do that sort of thing.

Let's not fight. All I'm saying is that travel is very expensive now for ordinary people.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,360,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I travel a lot for work and also have friends from college all over the world. It’s a lot cheaper if you have a place to stay.

Europeans travel much more than Americans. Part of it is because they have many different countries close to home, but it’s also cultural, political and economic. Europeans get far more paid vacation time than we do—and they’re expected to use it.

Americans spend a lot on our children (especially their education), dining out, cars and our homes. Travel, especially international travel, is luxury often put off to retirement. Many Europeans minimize those other expenses and spend more on travel.
It is also easier for Europeans to visit other European countries bc they are close together and small in comparison to North America. That is how people can see a bunch of countries in a week or 2 weeks. It is hard to travel if you live in America because of the vastness of America and how long it takes to virtually go anywhere.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The tone of your post is pretty self-righteous isn't it? The sort of strategies or generalizations people have stated aren't going to cover absolutely everyone and that's a given. I'm sorry if traveling on the cheap won't work out for you any more and that your target is England which is quite expensive. One thing that occurred to me is that you might consider switching to another target where living expenses there are actually much cheaper and since health is a consideration, you might be able to do some medical tourism and actually end up saving more from your vacation (depending on what you need done or checked).
No, I didn't see it as self righteous, just defensive against someone lumping people together as boozers, credit card abusers, living the high life, not willing to save or sacrifice, etc.

There are plenty of people who sacrifice and can still not afford to travel. At a family gathering this past weekend this was a main topic of conversation with the older people and the younger people--all wanting to travel but not being able to afford to. Airfare in particular, has gotten out of control.

England is the only place I or my dh want to go because he is English. Neither of us need medical tourism, he wants to see his friends (his family is deceased) and I would like to see the last few living members of my family. We both enjoy England and have gone on the cheap before but with the high air fares (and we check online all the time) it's become almost impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel