Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 05:51 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Not my thing either. I will always travel at 4star I refuse to go on anything below unless its to London for a few days or something like that. I will always make sure I go on holiday every single year several times, I do not give a crud what I have to pay I will do it.
Forgive me if I'm mistaking you for someone else, but it seems that right now your father is footing the bill for your travel. Your tone will likely change significantly once you need to start paying your own way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Yea but what if you travel on different airlines?
You don't, Stick with one, even if you pay a higher fare from time to time. If you travel a lot, you'll get free upgrades and bonus miles.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:20 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,871,459 times
No i offered to pay for myself.

We will ser. But I cant be bothered staying here anymore.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
This is a question that has been on my head ever since I joined these boards (well long before but this is the only place that focus on it) and have seen so many posters talking about their expericnes over seas. I just read this thread and this poster said something along the lines of "I have lived in the Caribbean and traveled to 5 nations/territories (multiple islands) thus far. I briefly studied in the UK and traveled to 8 European nations in total". How!?

What is it exactly that people could do for a living at where they are able to afford the cost of flight, room and board and traveling expenses and food. If you studied aboard--that is still very expensive! Cost of tuition is more not to mention you generally have to make an upfront payment fee to the school to even be considered. Just how much credit do you have ? I am sorry but these trips sound as if they are reaching into the 5-10 thousand marks and for people like me that is really pushing it beyond the limit. Credit ? I doubt many 'smart' people would willing put themselves in that much debt for this.

How are you guys able to take time off of work for such a long period of time and not in the least bit be concerned about money or other issues. I am asking because (much like everyone else) I desperately want to travel more but I severely lack the funding to do so. I am a college student who just recently got released from a temp job who has about 3 months left on a car payment. I wont even mention how I see my living situation changing soon.

So please inform me. You guys are clearly doing something I am not. If you do not wanna spill 'The Secret" then damn it (!) PM me because I wanna be in on this secret society!
When I was a student, and later in my 20's, I was able to travel by
1) working extra jobs and saving,
2) getting an International Youth Hostel card, and staying in hostels but also sleeping outdoors in picnic and camping spots outside of towns and villages,
3) meeting and staying with locals (it helps to know languages),
4) flying discount airlines and charter flights, and
5) eating from grocery stores, no restaurants. I'd find the local co-op grocery stores, because they were cheaper. I survived on yoghurt for breakfast, bread, cheese and cucumber for lunch, and the same for dinner.
6) For travel, I either bought a StudentRail pass (youth version of Eurail, very cheap when I did it), or I'd hitch-hike (very good for meeting locals and making friends).

There are programs you can sign up for, like being a volunteer farmhand in Norway, which gives you free room and board for as long as you sign up for. New Zealand has fruit-harvesting seasons, when farmers offer room and board to young volunteers.

That is how it's done.

That's re: Europe. Travel to 3rd world countries is much cheaper, as are the flights, usually.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,213 times
We're lucky, we just wait for 'deals'. In England we just keep an eye on internet holiday deals, and in holiday agents windows. We're off to Las Vegas in three weeks time, then two weeks after returning, we are off to Greece for as couple of weeks in May. Looking for a cheap holiday in June. Fortunately, we are retired, and can go at a moments notice.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
I make about 70K per year and travel Internatinally about 5 times per year.. Usually 2 trips overseas and 3 to the U.S (I'm in Canada). I don't consider that I make a boatload of money but probably a bit more than the avg person. I think it is all about priorities and budgeting. A priority in my life is to travel so I budget accordingly. I don't spend much on eating out or entertainment -watch netflix movies and surf the internet during my free time reading about places I want to go. I also use a travel visa card for all my purchases and find that points can add up quickly!

So I don't think you have to be rich to travel, but you do have to make a comfortable living, budget, be smart (travel point reward program) and research the places you want to go! Many places around the world have cheap options from sites to food and accomodation. Thailand for instance - has ultra affordable lodging and food options and good quality as well - and how much more exotic can you get!

Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 PM

361 posts, read 748,288 times
First of all, traveling sucks, especially since 9/11. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not traveled much.

Second, my personal theory is that people have always and continue to run up credit cards. Unless a person, much less a young person, has money or a trust fund travel can be extremely limiting.

Three, the airlines encourage travel and earning miles in frequent flier programs, which are a total rip off and financially a losing deal. But people THINK they are getting a deal and want to fly for free. The airline miles programs are a joke.

And last, people are and always have been restless. I actually know people who get depressed when they stay in one place too long. They always need to be on the move. It is like a sickness.

I have traveled extensively for 40 years and have never once seen a "deal" in the truest sense of the word. The beast does not exist, and if you are lucky enough to find a real deal, there are always catches and additional costs which are designed to run up expenses. The travel business is one of the great sham businesses of all time.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:10 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
LOL travelling doesn't suck at all! I love history, the ability to see the world and experience different cultures, eat genuine food and meet real people from different countries. I love the beauty of the world so for me travel is my passion. I've seen the great pyramids, King Tut in his tomb in the valley of the kings, Angkor Wat in Cambodia - walked the Grand Via in Madrid, Shopped in Souks in Marrakech and pampered in Medina. Partied with Cubans in Havana and marvelled at the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul--- priceless experiences! I see nothing wrong with it but to each his own but to say a sickness - lol... stay home and i'll have enriching experiences i'll take to my grave.. if that makes me sick so be it! I'm sick and proud of it baby lol!

BTW I pay 120 dollars per year for membership to my Aeroplan Visa card and redeem approximately one International flight return segment in which I can do a multi city routing. This would cost me approximately 1100 USD so I think my visa rewards program is an absolute BARGAIN! I've been to probably ten countries over 8 years using this card and paid a grand total of about 2000 dollars in fees and taxes! NOT BAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
First of all, traveling sucks, especially since 9/11. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not traveled much.

Second, my personal theory is that people have always and continue to run up credit cards. Unless a person, much less a young person, has money or a trust fund travel can be extremely limiting.

Three, the airlines encourage travel and earning miles in frequent flier programs, which are a total rip off and financially a losing deal. But people THINK they are getting a deal and want to fly for free. The airline miles programs are a joke.

And last, people are and always have been restless. I actually know people who get depressed when they stay in one place too long. They always need to be on the move. It is like a sickness.

I have traveled extensively for 40 years and have never once seen a "deal" in the truest sense of the word. The beast does not exist, and if you are lucky enough to find a real deal, there are always catches and additional costs which are designed to run up expenses. The travel business is one of the great sham businesses of all time.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
I totally disagree. For those who travel a lot, you've been invited into PreChek and probably Global Entry member. That makes both TSa screening and CBP not a whole lit different than it was pre-911.

Quote:
Actually your theory is incorrect. The personal debt of US citizens has been steadily decreasing for the past seven years, a trend that is forecasted to continue indefinitely.

Quote:
How are they a joke? How else are you going to get to Europe or Asia without flying--traveling by boat is not an option for anyone who isn't retired. I love getting miles--I use them to upgrade on long hauls so I can get a decent nights sleep and actually function the next day rather than losing a day of vacation in a jet-lagged stupor.

Quote:

It's a business like any other. Do you expect it to be free?

Old 03-16-2013, 11:25 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,981 times
How could anyone ever get tired of travel, i have traveled quite a bit but since retiring it has become a bit expensive for faraway destinations, have to start saving for next year to visit France in the meantime i'll be happy with a trip to Bali. I encouraged my children from an early age to put a pack on their back and get going, see the world and they did just that.
Happy Traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel