Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 12:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
For what you pay in annual dues for that timeshare you could rent a flat of the same size and quality in the heart of London for a week. Who wants to go to London for a day and then look at sheep for the rest of the week? If an area is impossible to trade into, then it's certainly not a selling point for buying a condo. Timeshares tie you down and restrict you to specific places.
I prefer areas like the Cotswolds, Devonshire and the Lake District. Timeshare works great in those areas. Furthermore, because of the way the system works (Hyatt Residence Club), I routinely trade my single week in Key West for three weeks elsewhere. That keeps my cost per night down to less than $50. (Maintenance fee divided by 21 days is less than $50.)

Just because you can't make timeshare work, doesn't mean it doesn't work. It works great for me. It is less expensive than hotels. And I prefer condos with kitchens to hotel rooms without kitchens. This thread is about how to travel inexpensively -- timeshare is one of the ways we are able to do so. We spent one week in China already, we are spending one week in Ireland later this year. And we're saving our third week for next year (probably China again). All with one maintenance fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 11:54 AM

338 posts, read 446,934 times
When I travel I like to go all out. Every 2 years or so I save up enough to go on a nice vaction and when I am there I try not to make money an issue. It is something to look forward to when you can be restriction free and in a new scene. It is a great feeliing.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:13 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
1. They are rich.
2. They travel for work and accumulate frequent flier miles.
3. They work or are a family member of somebody who works for an airline.
4. They are spendthrifts at home.
5. They inherited money.
6. They are backpackers who sleep in hostels.
7. They are DINKs or single people
8. Etc.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
1. They are rich.
2. They travel for work and accumulate frequent flier miles.
3. They work or are a family member of somebody who works for an airline.
4. They are spendthrifts at home.
5. They inherited money.
6. They are backpackers who sleep in hostels.
7. They are DINKs or single people
8. Etc.
9. they can travel cheaper than staying home (as per my case...)
Free fuel, (Cooking oil)
Hospitality guest homes ($10 / night worldwide)
Eat from Grocery store surplus (<$10/day, usually less than $5)
Entertainment is free and plentiful.
I often work / volunteer while traveling
Prefer to be gone, rather than be home (at least for now)

Old 08-22-2014, 07:53 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
9. they can travel cheaper than staying home (as per my case...)
Free fuel, (Cooking oil)
Hospitality guest homes ($10 / night worldwide)
Eat from Grocery store surplus (<$10/day, usually less than $5)
Entertainment is free and plentiful.
I often work / volunteer while traveling
Prefer to be gone, rather than be home (at least for now)
Yeah there are alot of people who don't realize how much you can make the dollar stretch overseas... Staying in overpriced hotels and eating at expensive restaurants are the biggest way to drain the pocket book when there are so many options to lodge and eat for less than day to day costs in your home country.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah there are alot of people who don't realize how much you can make the dollar stretch overseas... ....
Shhhhh... some folks on this thread are not gonna allow anyone this freedom. THEY have THEIR agenda, and just MUST jam it down everyone else's throat (choke, choke...).

I'm glad that everyone is different, it certainly spices up travel!

The last thing I hope to see while traveling is a bunch of loud expats bemoaning the local culture or on a rant.

Or to sit in a western hotel and pork out at a buffet! with other obese foreigners :

Old 08-25-2014, 08:35 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Shhhhh... some folks on this thread are not gonna allow anyone this freedom. THEY have THEIR agenda, and just MUST jam it down everyone else's throat (choke, choke...).

The last thing I hope to see while traveling is a bunch of loud expats bemoaning the local culture or on a rant.

Or to sit in a western hotel and pork out at a buffet! with other obese foreigners :
I never could figure out why people stay at all inclusive resorts in Mexico & never leave the resort area. What's the point? It's not like you get any sense of the country you're in if you don't venture anywhere beyond the borders of this fake vacation. I feel the same about cruises.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:41 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:

Not all of us are obese or eat at buffets. Not all of us bemoan local culture--at least not publicly.

Not all of us have the inclination to sleep in a strangers home or travel like broke college students.

Many of us have the financial ability to travel in the same manner in which we live at home. The idea of eating from dumpsters and driving around in a vehicle that smells like McDonalds is about as appealing as swimming in the Grand Canal in Venice.

We sometimes stay at "Western" hotels because they are FREE due to points accumulated through work travel.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I never could figure out why people stay at all inclusive resorts in Mexico & never leave the resort area. What's the point? It's not like you get any sense of the country you're in if you don't venture anywhere beyond the borders of this fake vacation. I feel the same about cruises.
In some areas it's simply unsafe to venture out from behind those walls.

We don't do "all-inclusives," but sometimes people just want to get away and relax in a nice setting and lay on the beach all day--and there's nothing wrong with that if it's what they enjoy.

Not everyone wants to volunteer shoveling manure on a farm for their vacation.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:50 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In some areas it's simply unsafe to venture out from behind those walls.

We don't do "all-inclusives," but sometimes people just want to get away and relax in a nice setting and lay on the beach all day--and there's nothing wrong with that if it's what they enjoy.

Not everyone wants to volunteer shoveling manure on a farm for their vacation.
You go from all inclusive resorts to shoveling manure on a farm, like those are the only travel options? Ok. Sure many people like to stay at all inclusives, that's their prerogative. But please don't try to sell it to me like they've been traveling around like a local, that's simply not the case. Eating food that is basically american food while in say mexico is not my cup of tea. I've known a few people who have done the all inclusives, didn't leave the resort at all, ate basically american food at those buffets. I look at that & think, well you could've gone to Miami for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel