Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Priorities. If you have wanderlust and want or need to fulfill it, you will just have to set that is one of your life priorities, and use your money and your time to do that, instead of lesser things. It helps if you also have another hobby that can be pursued while traveling. Mine is birdwatching.

You have to start early, too. Arrange your professional career and your family planning in order to make travel fit into it. A lot of people, by the time they are 25, have already made lifelong commitments that clash with travel.
You took the words out of my mouth. People who are truly interested in travel make it their priority and make other sacrifices (mortgage, other payments.etc)...of course, if you have a family it's harder, since travel costs more and there are more costs, but for the single person who is willing to skimp in other areas, it's not that hard. Also doing work which allows you to take the time off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
We fly for free. Husband works for the a major airline so thats how we can afford to fly for free every where. Otherwise, forget it.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Studied hard, got a good transferrable qualification and some good practical experience, stayed single (or at least did not get married or start a family), and saved as much money as i could in my late teens to mid 20's.

When I finally came back home for good just before my 30th birthday, I had accumulated a few years practical experience in London, and a few years of doing nothing but holidaying, also had no girlfriend, a couple of hundred dollars in the bank, and owned nothing except the clothes in my backpack, and a passport with a heap of stamps and visas in it.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-20-2013 at 11:57 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 PM

4,939 posts, read 3,314,385 times
Saving up money and not spending it on all sorts of things quickly adds up !
And where I live the option is car travel to another country so no airplane fares.
We do not take long holidays/vacations just short ones of a few days.
Whilst on holday/vacation we never do expensive things , we do few touristy things ,
so I travel with the family for leisure================== My best friend who lives in USA now he travels for his work comes with the job he has , he did a mind boggling amount of study to get where he is , has two uni degrees , travel for work is totally different he tells me whilst in very nice hotels still it is work he is doing.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
I grew up a military brat, so I have the wander-lust. I then joined the military and continued my travels. Now, that I am out and have a good paying job AND a girlfriend that works for Lufthansa - my travels continue. If I didn't have my Lufthansa-schatze, My travels would be less spontaneous as more planning (and money) would be needed.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I grew up a military brat, so I have the wander-lust. I then joined the military and continued my travels. Now, that I am out and have a good paying job AND a girlfriend that works for Lufthansa - my travels continue. If I didn't have my Lufthansa-schatze, My travels would be less spontaneous as more planning (and money) would be needed.
Lufthansa is nice!

It helps not having to worry about flight costs.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Lufthansa is nice!

It helps not having to worry about flight costs.
I still pay, but it is at a reduced fare. Once we are married, then it will be even less!!! And all I have to do is massage her feet now and then!!!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 AM

250 posts, read 503,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Well, there is more to the world than the United States. Maybe you need some new Facebook friends?
Sorry, but you've made an inference here that is non sequitur.

It does not follow from my claim that people may fabricate their travel experiences that I have little to no travel experience myself. It would also be wrong, given that I've traveled abroad to most of Europe, the USA and the far east over the course of my life.

The fact that dishonest people exist is simply a fact of life, and one that holds true independently of the background and nature of the person promulgating that fact.

Last edited by Citizen401; 02-21-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-21-2013, 02:20 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen401 View Post
Sorry, but you've made an inference here that is non sequitur.

It does not follow from my claim that people may fabricate their travel experiences that I have little to no travel experience myself. It would also be wrong, given that I've traveled abroad to most of Europe, the USA and the far east over the course of my life.

The fact that dishonest people exist is simply a fact of life, and one that holds true independently of the background and nature of the person promulgating that fact.
What backs your claim that people are fabricating their travel experiences? Traveling seems pretty common to me and there should be way more than enough English-reading/writing people who travel often and use internet forums to populate this site. Considering the huge amount of immigration that's occurred in English-speaking countries and the many families that are split between their new home country and their old (where they likely still have friends and family), it shouldn't be too big a surprise that a lot of people have traveled back and forth between those and might have made a stop here or two elsewhere since they've already got a passport and maybe a card for frequent flyer miles.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM

250 posts, read 503,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What backs your claim that people are fabricating their travel experiences? Traveling seems pretty common to me and there should be way more than enough English-reading/writing people who travel often and use internet forums to populate this site. Considering the huge amount of immigration that's occurred in English-speaking countries and the many families that are split between their new home country and their old (where they likely still have friends and family), it shouldn't be too big a surprise that a lot of people have traveled back and forth between those and might have made a stop here or two elsewhere since they've already got a passport and maybe a card for frequent flyer miles.
You do realise that my position is that dishonesty is one of two possible explanations as to why claimed traveling experiences here are broader than that of the general population. (Remember? I clearly specify two alternatives). This is not an unreasonable abductive inference to make, given that its basis is the simple verifiable claim that dishonest people exist.

Indeed, if you take objection to this idea as a possible explanation, you are actually left with a burden of proof defending a far more absurd proposition: that noone in the history of this forum has ever embellished or been dishonest about their traveling experiences, ever.

Last edited by Citizen401; 02-21-2013 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel