Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 06:26 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,658,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB0909 View Post
For US folks-how did you get the time off? Did you negotiate that up front when you took the job? My last company I had really great leave, but couldn't take it because of the work load/schedule. Now that I have a new job with 6-month probation and no leave until that is over, I am kicking myself I didn't use it. Had 3 weeks of unused leave when I left my last company and took a huge hit when it was paid out to me.
I run a small business where I am the only producer ( others are support staff) so taking time off for extended periods means no income but continuing expenses.

But then working long time without a break causes mental and physical fatigue. Your batteries need recharging. Since I have a child in middle school I take off during summer months (2 weeks) or Christmas break (10 days) or both and business is usually slow during that time. Yes, I still take a financial hit but I chalk it up as cost of mental therapy.

For people in corporate world you need to negotiate the time off and take it. Taking cash instead, or being on probation with no leave, will cause quick burnout. Believe me, the business can run without an employee. No one is indispensable, including myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 10:59 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,723,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB0909 View Post
For US folks-how did you get the time off? Did you negotiate that up front when you took the job? My last company I had really great leave, but couldn't take it because of the work load/schedule. Now that I have a new job with 6-month probation and no leave until that is over, I am kicking myself I didn't use it. Had 3 weeks of unused leave when I left my last company and took a huge hit when it was paid out to me.
In my last job, I had 4 weeks PTO so I took full advantage of it and then some. Now I'm back to contracting so I don't have PTO, in other words, I don't get paid if I don't work. I still plan to take off every couple of months. I've already completed 2 trips this year, with a confirmed trip to Portugal in early fall, and that won't be my last trip this year for sure (there are still thanksgiving and christmas trips to plan).

I'm what people consider mid-life age, so I have obligations and responsibilities like everyone else. However, I've decided very early on what's really important to me and keep that always in perspective. Taking time off is much more important to me than most things in life, including money. When my time is near, I know it's not going to be how much time I put in at work that I'll think about, but all the fond memories of my travel, and maybe a regret or two about a few places that I don't get to visit.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:35 AM

4,200 posts, read 4,715,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post

Just last week I got a notice of USA - Malaysia/Thailand round trips (UAL) for $540 which included all fees & taxes. Nowadays tho' the points to upgrade have increased plus there is a $600 per leg fee as well, so that's about $1740 for the business class, a good deal for a 24hr plane ride but not in my budget this year. But if I were younger my back would handle that long flight in coach for that price... & then book that $20-25/ngt accomodations 2 blocks off the main drag & there you would have 10-11 days for about $1K without any FF points used.
Exactly. It is definitely costly to upgrade a flight.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:33 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,458,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I'm recently retired & want to head to Spain & Portugal for the first time this year, any recommendations on where to go that's good value for $$? Some cafe life, music (not clubbing!) & good local restaurants plus nice strolls would do me well, considering it for a snowbird destination if it works out. Don't want the crowds of "lager louts" acting out near me though.
I'm so jealous. I was so busy this year I didn't plan a trip, but next year I will be there!

I suggest that when you arrive you get what they call the "Guia de Ocio"(leisure guide)-free, small magazine about the events in Madrid)- from your hotel or any street kiosk. Lots of info there.

Madrid is full of everything you've listed. For true Flamenco, try Casa Patas, go to their website. A great memory of authentic Flamenco and fun place for drinks with friends. or a plate of 'patatas bravas' (potatoes with a tomato sauce, very lightly spicy. That along with the 'tortilla espanola' were my 'go to' meals and cost very little, maybe a couple of euros. Tortilla espanola is an egg and potato kind of firm omelette/quiche-like dish. LOVE! My favorite cafe in Moncloa neighborhood in Madrid is Canas y Tapas, but don't know if that one is still there.

(Online I only see one in another part of the city, Recoletos?? and my Adobe Flash is not letting me see the other locations listed. Have to reinstall it.)

Salamanca, my favorite was Cafe la Luna.

Barcelona, Cafe Zurich, large corner cafe right at the entrance to Las Ramblas. Always my first stop for coffee/danish = "un cortado" (if you are a coffee drinker, in Spain ask for this, otherwise you will get espresso very strong! and 'una raqueta' (danish).

All of these, and more are great value for the $$ - very inexpensive. You can eat and drink in Spain for very little. Any of the plazas, Plaza Mayor in Madrid, Plaza Mayor in Salamanca (my favorite, 'bajo el reloj'). Same in most plazas, even the smallest towns.

Try to go to Burgos. Honestly, I consider it the place with the happiest people. So kind. Relaxed. Beautiful.

In Granada, we came upon a free exposition of flamenco that was projected onto a gigantic screen right in the middle of a main walking path. Very nice as we sat at a cafe for drinks.

For Lisbon, Portugal, I loved the Restaurante Pinoquio. (Pinocchio in Europe is like Mickey Mouse to Americans!) and a great pastry shop - cannot remember the name, but you'll see some fantastic pastry and will just have to follow your eyes/nose/stomach.

All that said, Spain and Portugal are full of great cafes and YOU will find YOUR favorites. Just explore, ask around or just pop in to any that spark something in you. You can't go wrong. There is so much to enjoy.

For walking, just go online and google walking tours of Madrid, or wherever. Easy to find maps and descriptions. Very helpful.

Below is a website that sends me updates on travel in Spain regularly. I love it. You can choose English if it opens up in Spanish by going to the top right of the page where it says "International" and the drop down menu lets you choose the language in which you want the page presented. You can order brochures online (Yes, they are available in English) and the site offers tons of info.

Here is a link to the brochure on Madrid. You can copy/paste it into your browser, but you can just as easily go to the website, order the brochure (Brochures are a Menu choice at the top of the page) and they will send immediately to your email. The brochure takes a couple of seconds to open.

http://srv.tourspain.es/ServidorDocu...OYddw32XWh8b//

Here is the website: Holiday in Spain | Tourism in Spain. | spain.info in english

Have a great trip!

Old 01-04-2017, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 542 times
I'm 38 years old and have never been out of the United States. My dad especially is a homebody , and we never really went anywhere growing up. As a young adult I was always in debt for cars and other stupid purchases, and couldn't afford to go anywhere. I'm actually very embarrassed about this and when i'm at a get-together and the subject of travel comes up, I feel very self conscious. I live more modestly now, but it seems to be that a person who has an average income in this country has to either live like a college kid and travel all the time.....or truly become a slave to your possessions

Old 01-04-2017, 02:45 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,860,426 times
Like other posters have said, I was born into a traveling family, its what my parent did for work (different countries) gave them a network of people to get info from where to stay, and us kids too, and places to stay at-
my friend?
as a youth used his thumb , spent 2 years all over central america, but 6 years ago went to Cuba with friends, and enjoyed the informal economy there (hitchhiking is viewed as ride sharing) and stayed with a local family- he's never had to pay much more than airfare (back in the day, they rode the rails, we aren't talking kids from optimum family circumstance but it sure gave him a world view and resourcefulness), became an artisan (jewelry) on the road to make ends meet)- he's never been on welfare in his life btw- just says most people don't need as much as they think they do...

Travel was about seeing things, meeting people (food and lodging, secondary)....was in Thailand a couple years ago, and
wants to get back to India soon...
(we are thinking about renting out our home, and taking off for a couple months)

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 01-04-2017 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 01-05-2017, 02:49 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,680,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryfromVA View Post
I'm 38 years old and have never been out of the United States. My dad especially is a homebody , and we never really went anywhere growing up. As a young adult I was always in debt for cars and other stupid purchases, and couldn't afford to go anywhere. I'm actually very embarrassed about this and when i'm at a get-together and the subject of travel comes up, I feel very self conscious. I live more modestly now, but it seems to be that a person who has an average income in this country has to either live like a college kid and travel all the time.....or truly become a slave to your possessions
Really? For an average American? How on earth did you think people in other countries could afford to travel? Are they all wealthier than an average income American?

The problem with many Americans who feel they can't afford to travel is two folds

1) they tend to spend close to 100% of their dispensable income, because even the idea of saving $200 a month makes them feel "living like a college kid". They buy buy buy, too many nights out (instead of cooking at home), too much impulsive shopping (instead of waiting for deals), and too much credit debt (instead of not owing the bank anything). Sorry for sounding judgmental, but many Americans don't realize they feel entitled to too much. If you think living cost is high, just imagine how much you spend on coffee every month, when you can make it at home for a few dimes instead of $4 every time, and how much on $10 lunches everyday. And how many Americans have $100+ a month cable TV service subscribed for years?

Cost of living in America is incredibly low compared with prevalent income, and they just don't realize it unless they lived elsewhere.

2) and when they travel, they feel the need to splurge just because it is a vacation. It amazes me someone making 50k gross are happy to throw $200 a night just on hotels, plus fancy dinners with wines every night, as if they suddenly become 3 times as rich. I understand we should have a good time when traveling, but the enjoyment of seeing the world should not be based on luxury hotels and fancy meals, and definitely not more debt afterwards.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:25 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,323,192 times
It's all about priorities. I do not own or operate a car, I do not waste money on any other activity such as sports, electronics, and never had any debt. Travelling for me is the thing to do.

People waste too much money on useless things. I mean, if they enjoy it, I have no right to tell what is useless or not, but then they should not complain about having not enough money for travelling. Basically it is not that I save a certain amount of money per month, such as $300 or whatever, but I save ALL money that I do not have to spend on necessary things. Some months that is $2,000, some months its nothing.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:16 AM

22,244 posts, read 29,276,194 times
It's called working and saving for trips

Old 01-05-2017, 07:31 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,698,944 times
I find a really big suitcase and pay someone to check me to someplace exotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel