Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 05:37 AM

872 posts, read 1,385,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Do you understand what a non sequitur is? Are you so lacking in self-awareness that you don't see how ironic it is for you talk about non sequiturs?

You gave two possible explanations, one of which I didn't mention at all and the other seems irrelevant to the topic and with no proof that it's of any significance.
Why is it irrelevant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 AM

872 posts, read 1,385,649 times
I once did a 4 week student elective to Los Angeles on a budget of less than 1200 us dollars, staying at cheap hotels and student accommodation. Admittedly much of my calorie intake during that trip was paid for by the nightly fraternity outings to the local hooters bars... Great days ^^

Old 02-23-2013, 09:00 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
This is a question that has been on my head ever since I joined these boards (well long before but this is the only place that focus on it) and have seen so many posters talking about their expericnes over seas. I just read this thread and this poster said something along the lines of "I have lived in the Caribbean and traveled to 5 nations/territories (multiple islands) thus far. I briefly studied in the UK and traveled to 8 European nations in total". How!?

What is it exactly that people could do for a living at where they are able to afford the cost of flight, room and board and traveling expenses and food. If you studied aboard--that is still very expensive! Cost of tuition is more not to mention you generally have to make an upfront payment fee to the school to even be considered. Just how much credit do you have ? I am sorry but these trips sound as if they are reaching into the 5-10 thousand marks and for people like me that is really pushing it beyond the limit. Credit ? I doubt many 'smart' people would willing put themselves in that much debt for this.

How are you guys able to take time off of work for such a long period of time and not in the least bit be concerned about money or other issues. I am asking because (much like everyone else) I desperately want to travel more but I severely lack the funding to do so. I am a college student who just recently got released from a temp job who has about 3 months left on a car payment. I wont even mention how I see my living situation changing soon.

So please inform me. You guys are clearly doing something I am not. If you do not wanna spill 'The Secret" then damn it (!) PM me because I wanna be in on this secret society!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen401 View Post
Non sequitur simply means "does not follow". It's a basic epistemological term for failure in entailment, or more inclusively, a term for situations in which a counterparty fails to provide relevant or cogent responses. That also includes profanity, ad hominem attacks and emotional polemic.

In this case, your arguments regarding airline ticket prices, immigration, or the purported "helpfulness" of replies, and so on, while valid against specific or absolute claims of dishonesty, do not address my own position, which is a general statement of fact. If you disagree with it, it follows necessarily that you assert that it is truly impossible that dishonesty can account for some claims of traveling experience made in this forum, which is absurd, and this eliminable by reductio ad absurdum.

Your appeal to emotion here may have some basis if I was making a specific claim of dishonesty where evidence is unfounded. However, that is not what I'm doing at all. My statement is as innocuous as the claim that "dishonesty is a fact of life" - it is not a specific claim levelled against a specific person, nor an absolute claim made against every person on this forum - let me make this very clear. Moreover, the helpfulness or lack thereof of this statement to the OP does not make it any less a truth or fact that addresses the OP's question.

There's really no point getting angry over this issue. Though I generally enjoy any discussion on critical reasoning and epistemology (which is why I'm responding to you here), the topic itself is, as I've said, nothing more than a triviality. I suggest you wind down and chill out somewhat. It's simply not worth it.
I put up the original post for you. You put up some unverified claims tangential to the actual response. Then you go on wanking yourself while other people actually tell him different strategies. You following?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:14 AM

250 posts, read 503,171 times
Quote:
I put up the original post for you. You put up some unverified claims tangential to the actual response. Then you go on wanking yourself while other people actually tell him different strategies. You following?
Afternoon.

I did hint at the following point earlier in our exchange: A reply that addresses the reasoning behind a question is as pertinent, and sequitur, as a direct answer to the question itself. The OP has evidently based his question upon some basic reasoning and observations of the forum; so a post that addresses these premises is ostensibly relevant.

To put it simply, addressing a question and answering a question is not necessarily the same thing, and both modes of response would be pertinent to the question.

A textbook example: If a verificationist is posed the question: "is there anything beyond the material world?", then it would be a pertinent reply for him to argue that "the question is meaningless", though he would not be answering the question directly. This is perfectly acceptable within formal or scholarly discourse, though in this example it entails a somewhat difficult defense of verificationism.

Last edited by Citizen401; 02-23-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen401 View Post
Afternoon.

I did hint at the following earlier, though I'll elaborate on the point if you've missed it: The OP has formalised his question upon empirical observations and an inductive line of reasoning that motivates his request to the forum. A reply that addresses the reasoning behind the question is as pertinent, and sequitur, as a direct answer to the question itself.

To put it simply, addressing a question and answering a question is not necessarily the same thing, and both may or may not be pertinent to the question.

A textbook example: If a verificationist is posed the question: "is there anything beyond the material world?", then it would be a pertinent reply for him to argue that "the question is meaningless". This is perfectly acceptable within formal or scholarly discourse, though in this example it entails a somewhat difficult defense of verificationism.
Wow, you're still going. Go forth!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM

250 posts, read 503,171 times
Quote:
Wow, you're still going. Go forth!
Well all I'm doing is responding to your comment. Sorry if it offends you.

Regardless, I think this is far as our exchange can possibly go before we both descend into petty bickering. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
It all comes down to priorities. Right now our priority is travel. It is not expensive cars, electronics, etc. We are empty-nesters, so we don't have the added expense of taking children along or paying for child care.

We tend to spend money on better hotels, but prefer to eat with the locals and will venture into out of the way neighborhoods to find cafes with great food an reasonable prices (where it's safe to do so of course.)

We usually use mass transit instead of cabs or expensive car rentals.

We spend a lot of time researching, and don't always look for the cheapest, but rather look to get the best value for our dollar. The more we travel, the better we get at that.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:22 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
OP, a couple of suggestions:

Join the Navy. No, seriously. You will travel and on your port calls you can travel around and see that area of the world.

Sally forth from wherever you live now. Do weekend car trips. It would take 100 lifetimes to see all the wonderful things to see inside the USA.

I've done 2 really nice European vacations and I did them camping. The first trip was with a company that provided absolutely everything except your sleeping bag and food. Tent, cots, ground cover, camp kitchen, eating utensils, propane, lanterns, and access to hot showers and bathrooms. Most of those campgrounds had swimming pools, restaurants, and other activities. All were located in wonderful tourist locations, including one in Paris.

The second trip, I made reservations of my own in the best campgrounds and arrived with my own tent and camp stove, for a huge savings. However, I did have a car that I brought over on the ferry from Scotland.

Buying your food in the grocery store is an enormous savings while traveling.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:51 AM

88 posts, read 235,215 times
I'm in the US military stationed in Europe. During the week I'm at work. Friday evening, I'm usually on the road or on a plane/train off to an exciting weekend somewhere. Very fortunate and taking full advantage of it. So far I've been to 12 countries in Europe. Quite a few more planned. Good travels!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:19 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
This is a question that has been on my head ever since I joined these boards (well long before but this is the only place that focus on it) and have seen so many posters talking about their expericnes over seas. I just read this thread and this poster said something along the lines of "I have lived in the Caribbean and traveled to 5 nations/territories (multiple islands) thus far. I briefly studied in the UK and traveled to 8 European nations in total". How!?

What is it exactly that people could do for a living at where they are able to afford the cost of flight, room and board and traveling expenses and food. If you studied aboard--that is still very expensive! Cost of tuition is more not to mention you generally have to make an upfront payment fee to the school to even be considered. Just how much credit do you have ? I am sorry but these trips sound as if they are reaching into the 5-10 thousand marks and for people like me that is really pushing it beyond the limit. Credit ? I doubt many 'smart' people would willing put themselves in that much debt for this.

How are you guys able to take time off of work for such a long period of time and not in the least bit be concerned about money or other issues. I am asking because (much like everyone else) I desperately want to travel more but I severely lack the funding to do so. I am a college student who just recently got released from a temp job who has about 3 months left on a car payment. I wont even mention how I see my living situation changing soon.

So please inform me. You guys are clearly doing something I am not. If you do not wanna spill 'The Secret" then damn it (!) PM me because I wanna be in on this secret society!

I only paid cost of flights. I have family and friends all over the world who invite me to stay with them. Also, I have an EU passport and a Canadian passport. So, often times, I've worked temp jobs while I was there.

Easy peasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel