Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 AM

479 posts, read 1,423,960 times

Advertisements

I live in Denver, and I have always wanted to take a gondola to dinner atop a ski area, but haven't gotten around to it yet. For those of you who have done this, is it worth it or is it just an expensive gimmick? My choices would be Winter Park, Keystone, or Vail. I know Vail is a longer drive and more expensive, but I hear their Adventure Ridge is a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,803,875 times
I did it in Canada, not worth it. The food was mediocre, and the view was nice, but we could have had a much better meal for the same price elsewhere and spent the $2 to take the gondola up for a look, stayed as long as we wanted, then gone back down. Keep in mind that not all tables in those restaurants are against the windows and if it's raining or foggy, you're eating an expensive meal with no view.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:24 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,758,508 times
I'm not sure what you envision exists - the resteraunts are usually at the base of the sking near the parking lot. The gondola is to take skiers up - wouldn't make sense to have a resteraunt up where no one can access it without driving....although exceptions exist (I'm think about the CA Palm Springs Gondola, or the Shiltorn Switzerland gondola that takes you up to have the "James Bond Breakfast").
Have you considered a nice Denver hotel rooftop resteraunt?

Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,472,811 times
More of a novelty/special event thingy IMHO. Went to Keystone during the summer for my wife's birthday when we lived in Summit County. As annerk said, no guarantee that you'll get a seat by the window. And even then, if it's for dinner, it'll be dark outside, so no views to be had. Food is good, but nothing that couldn't be had elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714
I'm not sure what you envision exists - the resteraunts are usually at the base of the sking near the parking lot. The gondola is to take skiers up - wouldn't make sense to have a resteraunt up where no one can access it without driving....although exceptions exist
Many of the Colorado ski areas do have fancy restaurants on top that are open for dinner (after skiing ends).

Old 02-24-2013, 06:11 PM

905 posts, read 3,441,191 times
I have skied all three mountains and feel like the Keystone and Vail views are better. Vail being the best. Plus Vail has a really quaint commercial district for strolling before or after lunch. Keep in mind the food is pretty good to OK, any of the mountains are going to be expensive. But the views are pretty awesome.

From looking at the map Adventure Ridge in will give you a limited views. Your best bet will be at the top of the mountain.

From what I can find it looks like Gondola rides are free after 2pm. Better call to be sure!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 PM

3,602 posts, read 9,012,906 times
Since I live in Vail let me clear a few things up. There are indeed many restaurants on Vail Mountain, as well as Beaver Creek, Breck, Keystone, Aspen, Snowmass and just about any ski mountain, when folks are skiing they like to eat on the mountain and not waste valuable ski time in town. I haven't eaten at the other mountains, so I'll only comment on Vail, note that there are no nice views at night from any of the restaurants.

Adventure Ridge is lots of fun, go tubing there at night. Bistro Fourteen is a casual restaurant at the top of the Eagle Bahn gondola, fine for lunch, but not really an experience type of place. Game Creek is also accessed by the Eagle Bahn and then by snowcat to the restaurant, the food is good, probably the best on the mountain, but pricey. The 10th is open for lunch and dinner and accessed by the new Gondola 1, views are great during the day and at aprés, the food is ok, overpriced, but great to grab a drink. Beaver Creek has Beanos and Zack's, both have good food and lovely snowcat rides.

Personally I like Game Creek's Brunch in the summer, great food, sit outside in the sun and gaze at the mountains. In the winter I think it's fun to play at Adventure Ridge, as long as you like lots of kids and then go into town and have dinner at a great restaurant.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,900,084 times
Have not been out to ski in Colorado in years.. But remember A-Basin use to do BBq at the top. Nothing like a good burger when it 10f out overlooking the valley from the top of the mountain.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,782,010 times
As an avid skier myself, I do not remember me at any time staying for *dinner* on top of any *hill*.

If I want dinner, on top of anything, I would go to some top of a building restaurant.
Since they do often have a nice view, you also get good food worth the price.

On top of a ski hill, I would not stay there and have to fight the traffic going home ...

Just me ...

Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,664,496 times
Steamboat had a dinner on top of the gondola with a great view.
Not sure if they still do. At night the view is mostly lights in the valley.

Make reservations for a full moon!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM

479 posts, read 1,423,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Since I live in Vail let me clear a few things up. There are indeed many restaurants on Vail Mountain, as well as Beaver Creek, Breck, Keystone, Aspen, Snowmass and just about any ski mountain, when folks are skiing they like to eat on the mountain and not waste valuable ski time in town. I haven't eaten at the other mountains, so I'll only comment on Vail, note that there are no nice views at night from any of the restaurants.

Adventure Ridge is lots of fun, go tubing there at night. Bistro Fourteen is a casual restaurant at the top of the Eagle Bahn gondola, fine for lunch, but not really an experience type of place. Game Creek is also accessed by the Eagle Bahn and then by snowcat to the restaurant, the food is good, probably the best on the mountain, but pricey. The 10th is open for lunch and dinner and accessed by the new Gondola 1, views are great during the day and at aprés, the food is ok, overpriced, but great to grab a drink. Beaver Creek has Beanos and Zack's, both have good food and lovely snowcat rides.

Personally I like Game Creek's Brunch in the summer, great food, sit outside in the sun and gaze at the mountains. In the winter I think it's fun to play at Adventure Ridge, as long as you like lots of kids and then go into town and have dinner at a great restaurant.
I've been wanting an excuse to ride the new gondola at Vail. So overall the dinner at Eagle's Nest is better/more varied than at Mid Vail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel