Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:48 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times

Advertisements

Several years ago I looked at visiting Michigan, while living in Texas, by train. I was totally shocked to find that the routes did not fit my travel need in any way. Needless to say, I was not only disappointed, but angry. I do not plan on ever using Amtrak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Because the US taxpayer heavily subsidizes them. They will get over $2 BILLION in taxpayer dollars to waste this year.
I believe you know nothing about subsidies.

If they were heavily subsidized, train travel would be very cheap. Like corn.
But they aren't heavily subsidized, so train travel has to charge the customers the bulk of operating costs.

The #1 issue why Amtrak is so expensive? No demand. No one uses it, so the operating costs are spread over fewer customers.
If they could fill every train car like an airplane, it would be much cheaper. Train transportation is much more economical than air transportation (trains can haul a lot more people per gallon of diesel than a plane can on a gallon of jet fuel), but because of:
  1. Slow speeds
  2. Historical population/industry centers dictating layout
no one likes to use it.

Ever wonder why every train west of the Mississippi goes to Chicago? Because 130 years ago, everything produced west of the Mississippi (lumber, cattle, food, gold) went through Chicago to be processed then sent to the northeast as finished goods.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
I believe you know nothing about subsidies.

If they were heavily subsidized, train travel would be very cheap. Like corn.
But they aren't heavily subsidized, so train travel has to charge the customers the bulk of operating costs.

The #1 issue why Amtrak is so expensive? No demand. No one uses it, so the operating costs are spread over fewer customers.
If they could fill every train car like an airplane, it would be much cheaper. Train transportation is much more economical than air transportation (trains can haul a lot more people per gallon of diesel than a plane can on a gallon of jet fuel), but because of:
  1. Slow speeds
  2. Historical population/industry centers dictating layout
no one likes to use it.

Ever wonder why every train west of the Mississippi goes to Chicago? Because 130 years ago, everything produced west of the Mississippi (lumber, cattle, food, gold) went through Chicago to be processed then sent to the northeast as finished goods.
I know more about subsidies than you could imagine. I'll repeat, Amtrak is subsidized to the tune of TWO BILLION a year. In my opinion, if it can't be self supporting, it shouldn't exist. Other than the NE corridor, the population is serves is miniscule and could be served by other carriers such as Greyhound and the airlines.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM

31 posts, read 61,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Several years ago I looked at visiting Michigan, while living in Texas, by train. I was totally shocked to find that the routes did not fit my travel need in any way. Needless to say, I was not only disappointed, but angry. I do not plan on ever using Amtrak.
They didn't fit your travel needs in any way? Is that right? I suspect you didn't think "outside-the-box" when you tried to plan your trip(s). I have ridden on Amtrak several times.

Examples of trips I have gone on and my experiences:

I took Amtrak for the first time in the summer of 2011. I wanted to get from southern California to North Carolina. You can't directly buy tickets for a California to North Carolina trip. This is where "outside-the-box" thinking came into play. The plan was to go from California to Delaware before heading down to North Carolina. After I got to Chicago, train #2 was supposed to take the southern route through Indiana, Ohio and West Virginia. Unfortunately, my train was stopped all night long in Indiana due to heavy rain and thunder storms. In the morning, we went back to Chicago.

Amtrak worked to make things right. I was put on a train that went through northern Indiana and Ohio. I was given a private sleeping room and all of my meals were free. I arrived in Delaware and spent two nights visiting Wilmington. I then boarded a train to North Carolina. Yes, I lost a day in North Carolina but in a way it was almost better it worked out like this because I was able to visit downtown Chicago for a day and I was given VIP treatment from Amtrak.

In January 2012, I took a train from California to New Orleans. I then went on a train from New Orleans to Jackson, Mississippi. I didn't have a problem riding either of these trains.

In July, I took an Amtrak train from Chicago to Kalamazoo, Michigan roundtrip and didn't have a problem. I also took a train from Chicago to Memphis, Tennessee without an issue.

When there is a will there is a way. Considering that Texas is a major transit hub for Amtrak and that there are many routes servicing Michigan, I think the will was missing more than anything.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
I don't see why they can't lay tracks on a more direct route across Pennsylvania. You can drive from Wash DC (or Baltimore) to Pittsburgh PA in just over 4 hours, at interstate speeds the whole way (en route to the Great Lakes etc.) By contrast, on a train, it takes 8 hours of crawling / inching at a snail's pace around countless mountain curves, using the original right-of-way track that was laid around 1840 or so. Is this really the best America can do ? And it's the same way going from NY City to Montreal - the train inching along laboriously thru the mountains, versus speeding along in a car on the interstate.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:22 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I don't see why they can't lay tracks on a more direct route across Pennsylvania. You can drive from Wash DC (or Baltimore) to Pittsburgh PA in just over 4 hours, at interstate speeds the whole way (en route to the Great Lakes etc.) By contrast, on a train, it takes 8 hours of crawling / inching at a snail's pace around countless mountain curves, using the original right-of-way track that was laid around 1840 or so. Is this really the best America can do ? And it's the same way going from NY City to Montreal - the train inching along laboriously thru the mountains, versus speeding along in a car on the interstate.
Trains need a fairly level route or have to build tunnels or use bridges over gorges.

Trains can't go up and down hills.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:24 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,230 times
Quote:
Several Amtrak routes.

One going from Texas to Chicago

Another rote from Texas to New Orleans then up to Chicago.

( getting from Chicago to Michigan is no problem )

Old 03-09-2013, 10:33 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
That's probably a good thing for Amtrak. They don't need passengers who think the trains should run just. for. them. I'm sure that traveling anywhere is a real problem with that kind of an attitude.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:13 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
That was several years ago , they have beefed up the Midwestern system maybe you should try again.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Quote:
Did you check on Megabus or Greyhound? Maybe those services will fit your travel needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel