Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times

Advertisements

If we have a set schedule...driving to actually get someplace, the focus is getting to the destination, so as many miles possible per day is on the agenda. Once we stop, it's to eat and sleep...repeat as necessary.

NOW....if the journey across the country IS the agenda (nothing wrong with that)..then the evening stops would be coordiated to some place that interests us. I saw Branson menitoned...then we would get to the room, rest a bit, the go to a show, get something to eat or walk around.

I'm a big fan of the quirky little attractions...like the biggest ball of string, the largest skillet, Hannibal Mo...those types of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 AM

281 posts, read 750,576 times
So the average traveler is only on the road to get somewhere and drives 14 hours a day to make it there quickly and can't enjoy the communities on the way? How sad!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:40 AM

797 posts, read 1,344,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
my long haul car trips, it getting from a to b. If i want to stop in c, i will plan that into the trip.

The vacation is the target destination. Not every small town in between.

bingo !

Old 02-26-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
If we have a set schedule...driving to actually get someplace, the focus is getting to the destination, so as many miles possible per day is on the agenda. Once we stop, it's to eat and sleep...repeat as necessary.

NOW....if the journey across the country IS the agenda (nothing wrong with that)..then the evening stops would be coordiated to some place that interests us. I saw Branson menitoned...then we would get to the room, rest a bit, the go to a show, get something to eat or walk around.

I'm a big fan of the quirky little attractions...like the biggest ball of string, the largest skillet, Hannibal Mo...those types of places.
The biggest ball of twine is in Darwin MN, about 40 miles from our former MN dairy farm ( son owns it now)

I never got around to see it,though.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
So the average traveler is only on the road to get somewhere and drives 14 hours a day to make it there quickly and can't enjoy the communities on the way? How sad!
Unless time is unlimited, every day spent on the road is one less day at your destination.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 AM

281 posts, read 750,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Unless time is unlimited, every day spent on the road is one less day at your destination.
With the high cost of gasoline and higher prices for hotels and eating out if you are in a rush to get somewhere it would be better to fly. I drive places to enjoy the attractions and communities along the way.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
What a terrible trip. I would HATE to drive that many miles each day. It is a vacation not an endurance contest.

So the "average person" arrives at the hotel and just camps out in their room until the next day? How boring!
Every day your driving is a day less you can spend 'doing'

I'd rather spend my time doing something more interested than wandering around a mall...

How boring.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:25 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I used to drive and drive and drive when on the road. (Prefer to fly my own plane)

One day I just could not drive anymore and fell asleep. Somewhere on the freeway I ended up waking up after hitting a Diesel truck and rearanging the family van in such a way that we would not be able to continue on our trip. I realized then and there that my family was more important to me than getting to the destination.

Read some statistics about driving and found that most people seem to fall asleep at the wheel during the night time. A lot of people are out on the road that should be sleeping. Many think that they can drink coffee, open the window, put on the AC, turn up the radio or some other thing to help them stay awake.

For night time driving It is suggested that you do not drive when you are tired. It is suggested that if you are not normally awake at lets say 2 am than maybe you should not be driving at 2 am. It is also suggested that 2 hours in the car is the max that someone should drive. Oh and switching drivers is a fallacy that many people believe. If two people are in the same car both need to get out and walk around every couple hours.

Try this on your next trip. Get out of the car after 2 hours of driving. Walk around for 20 minutes and see how you feel then. It takes a while to register to the mind that the body is too tired to drive. After 20 minutes most people will be ready for bed or they will have the sence to take it easy out there.

For us we have a plan on the road and designated places that we will stop along the way. My thought is that I would rather live a long life than to pretend it is a race.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Arrive at my destination.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
With the high cost of gasoline and higher prices for hotels and eating out if you are in a rush to get somewhere it would be better to fly. I drive places to enjoy the attractions and communities along the way.
I usually fly / drive to save time (but I LOVE road trips... ex-professional driver).
Last week I flew 2000 miles for $38.00 so can't buy much fuel for that. (But fuel COST is not an issue when using my 50 mpg veggie oil cars... FREE fuel at Chinese restaurant).

Usually I fly SWA cuz I can change at will for free.
I rent cars on Priceline / hotwire for ~$12/day.

Nights... I often drive the boring stretches at night (Take a nap in the park during the day)

For touring, I use Private guest homes $10 - $20 / night, so I enjoy learning about others, their locales, sharing a meal, and helping them around the house or farm. Often we sing or play music, but we always have a great time.

I do have a habit of looking for local events; concerts, speakers, town halls, High School plays, club meetings (Garden / camera / hiking / art / 4H).

The journey and the people I meet are a very special part of my travels.
YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel