Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2007, 11:20 PM

93 posts, read 365,010 times

Advertisements

I'll be driving from Nashville to Seattle at the end of November. In addition, i have someone driving a Penske moving truck which will be towing a car on a carrier (not a tow dolly).

Of course, I won't know until that exact week - what route is best - depending on the weather forecast - but in the meantime i'm trying to get as much useful info as possible.

The "safest" (although not fool proof) route is I40 straight across, and then I5 straight north. The biggest problem with this trip is it will add an extra day's drive.

If not for I40, i'll be driving to Kansas City and then from there:

A - taking I29 up to I90 and I90 straight into Seattle

B - taking I70 from Kansas City, then I25 North to I80 to Salt Lake City, to I84 to Portland, then I5 north to Seattle

C - taking I29 to I80 to I84 and then same as in option B

from what i've heard, taking I70 or I80 - i can be more subject to windy weather then perhaps on I90?

I guess late November is a toss-up, it's early enough that i maybe can still catch good weather or it's late enough that i can run smack into a blizzard.

I'm planning on driving with my three cats in the car (about 600 miles a day - stopping every 150 miles for gas, stretching legs, letting cats out of their carriers (but not out of the car!!) so i want this trip to be as safe as possible - but at the same time as quick as feasible.

thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 06:22 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishira View Post
I'll be driving from Nashville to Seattle at the end of November. In addition, i have someone driving a Penske moving truck which will be towing a car on a carrier (not a tow dolly).

Of course, I won't know until that exact week - what route is best - depending on the weather forecast - but in the meantime i'm trying to get as much useful info as possible.

The "safest" (although not fool proof) route is I40 straight across, and then I5 straight north. The biggest problem with this trip is it will add an extra day's drive.

If not for I40, i'll be driving to Kansas City and then from there:

A - taking I29 up to I90 and I90 straight into Seattle

B - taking I70 from Kansas City, then I25 North to I80 to Salt Lake City, to I84 to Portland, then I5 north to Seattle

C - taking I29 to I80 to I84 and then same as in option B

from what i've heard, taking I70 or I80 - i can be more subject to windy weather then perhaps on I90?

I guess late November is a toss-up, it's early enough that i maybe can still catch good weather or it's late enough that i can run smack into a blizzard.

I'm planning on driving with my three cats in the car (about 600 miles a day - stopping every 150 miles for gas, stretching legs, letting cats out of their carriers (but not out of the car!!) so i want this trip to be as safe as possible - but at the same time as quick as feasible.

thanks in advance....
Hi Nishira! My choice would be I-40 West into CA. Take CA Hwy 58 over to CA Hwy 99 North to I-5 and run that all the way to Seattle. The only real weather challenges I see along that route might be Flagstaff, AZ on I-40 and Tehachapi Pass on CA 58. Northern CA and Southern OR also have some mountains but I'd think severe weather is a lot less likely on the Western side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Other than that, it should be smooth sailing! I-80 in Wyoming and Utah and I-90 in WA all offer some challenging driving... Mountain passes and winds (especially WY). If you do decide on I-80, the two U.S. 30 sections in WY will get you aroud Elk Mountain and Three Sisters Mountains. U.S. 30 is a MUCH better alternative because it's less windy and the mountains aren't as steep as on I-80.

If you end up going thru Kansas City, I'd take I-29 North from there into Iowa. At Exit 10, Take IA Hwy 2 into Nebraska (it turne into NE 2 once you cross into NE) Take NE 2 into Lincoln and get on I-80 there. Take I-80 to I-84 (just NE of Salt Lake City). Take I-84 through ID and into OR. IMHO, I'd stay on I-84 and go over to Portland to I-5. Not nearly as mountainous as if you went I-82 to I-90 and I-84 through the Columbia River Gorge (just East of Portland) is one of America's most scenic routes, IMHO!

Nishira, all of the State routes and U.S. routes I've given you are just as good as running the Interstates. They're four-laned most of the way (if not all the way by now) and are actually shorter routes than going around on the Interstates. Have a GREAT trip!

Old 10-23-2007, 03:43 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
I would head in a west by northwest direction, that seems to be the best route

Old 10-24-2007, 12:53 AM

93 posts, read 365,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Hi Nishira! My choice would be I-40 West into CA. Take CA Hwy 58 over to CA Hwy 99 North to I-5 and run that all the way to Seattle. The only real weather challenges I see along that route might be Flagstaff, AZ on I-40 and Tehachapi Pass on CA 58. Northern CA and Southern OR also have some mountains but I'd think severe weather is a lot less likely on the Western side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Other than that, it should be smooth sailing! I-80 in Wyoming and Utah and I-90 in WA all offer some challenging driving... Mountain passes and winds (especially WY). If you do decide on I-80, the two U.S. 30 sections in WY will get you aroud Elk Mountain and Three Sisters Mountains. U.S. 30 is a MUCH better alternative because it's less windy and the mountains aren't as steep as on I-80.

If you end up going thru Kansas City, I'd take I-29 North from there into Iowa. At Exit 10, Take IA Hwy 2 into Nebraska (it turne into NE 2 once you cross into NE) Take NE 2 into Lincoln and get on I-80 there. Take I-80 to I-84 (just NE of Salt Lake City). Take I-84 through ID and into OR. IMHO, I'd stay on I-84 and go over to Portland to I-5. Not nearly as mountainous as if you went I-82 to I-90 and I-84 through the Columbia River Gorge (just East of Portland) is one of America's most scenic routes, IMHO!

Nishira, all of the State routes and U.S. routes I've given you are just as good as running the Interstates. They're four-laned most of the way (if not all the way by now) and are actually shorter routes than going around on the Interstates. Have a GREAT trip!
Hey, thanks for the advice on NE 2 - that looks great and i mapped it - and doing it that way instead of taking I29 to I80 would save about 50 miles - awesome. I haven't checked out the I30 alternates on the map yet but will soon.

Ideally, i won't know for sure until a couple of days before the drive - based on weather conditions and such. I'm thinking that the further west i get, the prettier drive would be more on the I80 then I84 as opposed to I90 - but that's just a guess (especially the part you mentioned, heading towards Portland).

thanks again..

Old 10-25-2007, 11:39 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishira View Post
Hey, thanks for the advice on NE 2 - that looks great and i mapped it - and doing it that way instead of taking I29 to I80 would save about 50 miles - awesome. I haven't checked out the I30 alternates on the map yet but will soon.

Ideally, i won't know for sure until a couple of days before the drive - based on weather conditions and such. I'm thinking that the further west i get, the prettier drive would be more on the I80 then I84 as opposed to I90 - but that's just a guess (especially the part you mentioned, heading towards Portland).

thanks again..
Glad to be of service! Sure hope you have a great trip, I envy you! My trucking company taught me that NE 2 shortcut and I used to always enjoy stopping at Shoemake's Truck Stop at I-80/Exit 395 (O Street) in Lincoln, NE. Shoemake's is one of those old-time Mom-and-Pop Truck Stops with a "greasy spoon" restaurant; the food will stick with you all the way to Wyoming! Although OR has "Cabbage Patch" Mountain (near MM 230, just East of Pendleton) I believe the terrain is easier to manage than I-90's in WA) And the Columbia River Gorge has always been near the top of my list of favorite Interstate sections. If you have time, Multnomah Falls (Just E of Portland) is worth stopping; planty of parking.

Let us know how the trip went!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel