Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:54 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The difference is that there are no derelicts or crack addicts bugging you while you're at Disney World. Leave Disney property out the Main Gate entrance and drive a couple of miles east and it will be not so far from a Vegas experience--complete with plenty of neon, cheap buffets, and people of questionable character.
I've witnessed plenty that could only be interpreted as trashy at Disneyworld. There is a back street element that flourishes amongst the rebellious youth workers that reject the prim and proper status quo. For one, that little passage leading into Cinderella's castle is rife with peddling more than mice on sticks and a hidden passage leads down below into a storeroom that smells pretty weird....if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 12:52 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The difference is that there are no derelicts or crack addicts bugging you while you're at Disney World. Leave Disney property out the Main Gate entrance and drive a couple of miles east and it will be not so far from a Vegas experience--complete with plenty of neon, cheap buffets, and people of questionable character.
When me and my wife were in Disney a couple of years ago, going off property is the only way we got a decent meal. We didn't know that you have to make reservations months, sometimes years in advance to eat as some places. There was plenty of low grade cafeteria food, greasy burgers, but the nice restaurants reserves were required. We found that International Drive had plenty of nice restaurants no reservation required.

We didn't see any derelicts or crack addicts, maybe we were in the wrong part of town for that.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:10 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
When me and my wife were in Disney a couple of years ago, going off property is the only way we got a decent meal. We didn't know that you have to make reservations months, sometimes years in advance to eat as some places. There was plenty of low grade cafeteria food, greasy burgers, but the nice restaurants reserves were required. We found that International Drive had plenty of nice restaurants no reservation required.

We didn't see any derelicts or crack addicts, maybe we were in the wrong part of town for that.
Maybe you missed "Main Gate Entrance and go east a couple of miles." Different part of Orlando. Actually the area I'm talking about isn't in Orlando or even Orange County.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:23 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
We're going to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks time. Ninth time in only six years. It is a wonderful place, nowhere else I'd rather be, and I'be been to plenty of places on holiday. Spain, Greece, Turkey, Portugal, Cyprus, Canary Islands, Italy, Tunisia. None of them touch Las Vegas for a good time.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:14 AM

438 posts, read 660,631 times
I cringe when I think of vegas.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times
Now I have plenty of reasons to visit Florida with the exception of the beaches. Perhaps, I'll visit Disney World for the first time in my life.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Quelle Surprise ! That was certainly my experience.Trashy, flashy, tasteless and vulgar. My idea of hell on Earth.
Amen! I went out to visit an acquaintance from a former job who had moved there.........yeck! Totally sleazoid...the idea that someone could use the word "glamour" and Las Vegas in the same sentence is a joke.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:54 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Vegas ... trashy ... isn't that why it's so damn popular?
Exactly. You go to Vegas to get drunk, party, gamble, have cheap disgusting sex, and then deny it all ever happened.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Amen! I went out to visit an acquaintance from a former job who had moved there.........yeck! Totally sleazoid...the idea that someone could use the word "glamour" and Las Vegas in the same sentence is a joke.

The fact that world class personalities then and now have performed and visited Vegas, considering famous people have enjoyed Vegas, offering some of the best shopping, dining, entertainment, nitelife and accomodations compared to many cities around the world, the word glamor or glamour however you want to spell it is an understatement. You may not like Vegas but plenty more people appreciate the Entertainment Capital of the World.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
While I would concur that Vegas isn't for everyone, I am sure there are many parts of the third world that would be more apt to earn the title "Hell on Earth", unless of course your version of Hell only includes the so-called "Seven Deadly Sins".
I think it goes without saying I was talking about non war zones or extremely dangerous places like Sierra Leone or Afghanistan. Though I would prefer many third world places to Vegas still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel