Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 11:26 PM

601 posts, read 755,981 times

Advertisements

Hello - my spouse and I want to take a road trip from Phoenix to Des Moines to visit family, as early as this week.

But with the weather lately, we were wondering if there are any routes we should avoid? I'm kind of antsy about driving through Colorado right now, or any snowy mountain-range areas for that matter.

We were wondering if it would be smarter to travel east through NM, the tip of TX and OK, then up through Kansas and Missouri.

Thoughts? Would you recommend buying chains?

Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
I would suggest you pull up MapQuest and follow the route I-17 to I-40 to Amarillo and then north to IA. We do this every year. The roads are maintained quite well.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I would suggest you pull up MapQuest and follow the route I-17 to I-40 to Amarillo and then north to IA. We do this every year. The roads are maintained quite well.

Weather has been pretty nice lately as well.

OP, you shouldn't have any issues with that route above.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Hello - my spouse and I want to take a road trip from Phoenix to Des Moines to visit family, as early as this week.

But with the weather lately, we were wondering if there are any routes we should avoid? I'm kind of antsy about driving through Colorado right now, or any snowy mountain-range areas for that matter.

We were wondering if it would be smarter to travel east through NM, the tip of TX and OK, then up through Kansas and Missouri.

Thoughts? Would you recommend buying chains?

Thanks, all!
With the suggested route nitram provided, you shouldn't need to buy any chains if you keep your eye on the weather and ahead; avoid driving into any storms of course. Keep your gas tank filled often.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 AM

Thanks for your advice all! It's a relief to hear we won't need the chains.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Stay on the Interstates and you'll be fine. I second the advice to keep the tank filled, I wouldn't let it get under and 1/3 unless you are in a very populated area.

I would also put a couple of space blankets (buy at the dollar store or a sporting goods place for about $1 each) into your glove box, and make sure you've got a couple days worth of water and snacks--which is a good idea regardless of the time of year.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
I'd go out of my way to avoid I-40 at any time... regardless of weather.
On that basis... it's east on 10 (&20) toward Dallas then north of I35.
(it's only 300 well worth it miles longer)

Keep an eye on the weather and if things are nice enough...
find the old US highway roads for an hour or two each day.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
If you're traveling I-40 through TX and OK to OKC it's potentially shorts and flip-flops weather the next two weeks. I think we've seen our last freeze this season.

In a couple months the highways eastern NM, the TX Panhandle, and OK will be awash with storm chasers. Let the Fifth Season begin!

To the OP: Personally, I avoid I-17 when I drive I-40 to PHX from OK. Going through Payson to Holbrook doesn't really save any time, does save about 100 miles, but I-17 always seems to be a parking lot whenever I get to Anthem for some reason. Also, most mapping programs pick up US 54 in Tucumcari to Wichita. I've done that route before, it's amazingly flat. I'd prefer the route you suggested (I-40 to I-35). I-35 in KS is a toll road from OK to Emporia (just drove it this summer) but a good road.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
If you're traveling I-40 through TX and OK to OKC it's potentially shorts and flip-flops weather the next two weeks. I think we've seen our last freeze this season.

In a couple months the highways eastern NM, the TX Panhandle, and OK will be awash with storm chasers. Let the Fifth Season begin!

To the OP: Personally, I avoid I-17 when I drive I-40 to PHX from OK. Going through Payson to Holbrook doesn't really save any time, does save about 100 miles, but I-17 always seems to be a parking lot whenever I get to Anthem for some reason. Also, most mapping programs pick up US 54 in Tucumcari to Wichita. I've done that route before, it's amazingly flat. I'd prefer the route you suggested (I-40 to I-35). I-35 in KS is a toll road from OK to Emporia (just drove it this summer) but a good road.
Hmm...I've never had too big of a problem traveling up the I-17, but I try to avoid leaving town during busy hours.

What is the toll on I-35?

Old 03-14-2013, 02:35 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Hmm...I've never had too big of a problem traveling up the I-17, but I try to avoid leaving town during busy hours.

What is the toll on I-35?
It was $5 or so. From the South Terminal through Wichita to Emporia. From Emporia to KC it's free. If you get off in Wichita there are toll gates. The ticket issued at the beginning of the turnpike has the toll fares published on the back side based on the exit you leave the turnpike, so there's no guesswork, as long as you know from what exit you're leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel