Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 AM

16,655 posts, read 17,419,998 times

Advertisements

The Rijksmuseum is now open again.

Ten years and $489M on, Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum reopens - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 07:21 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
It is an amazing place.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:35 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,035 times
Thanks for the tips JoulesMSU!
i wanted to ask you more about the transportation card. We will be arriving at the central train station.
I saw cards call "IamSterdam" is it the one you get for transportation"
Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
I just got back from Amsterdam this Sunday.

I would say it doesn't matter where you stay. Public transportation makes it very easy to get around. We stayed a little ways outside of the "inner ring" (where all the action is) but had no problems because we bought the 72-hour public transport card and could easily get around via bus and tram.

I wouldn't go to the Anne Frank House unless you have a lot of time to waste. Every time we went by it there was always a line around the block for it. We skipped it because we were only there for 3 days and didn't want to waste 3-4 hours just standing in line to get in. There are plenty of other things to go do and see as well. Lots of museums, especially for art (Van Gogh and Rembrandt).

Also, yes, look both ways about 6 times every time you cross a street. For the average crossing there is a bike lane, then a road, then a couple of tram lines, then another road, and another bike lane. Each one could have traffic even if the previous one(s) didn't.

There are plenty of restaurants for any style you like. Indonesian is probably going to be the most "unique" since those aren't very common over here, but there are also plenty of Italian, Chinese, and even burger joints. There are also a surprisingly large number of Argentine steak houses. It can get expensive eating out all the time though, so there are also a ton of grocery stores that can be a cheaper option for some meals. The main chain seems to be Albert Heijn, there are a number of them in the downtown area and also scattered elsewhere on the "outskirts" of the city.

Just be careful, they really like to nickle and dime you over there. Buying the public transportation ticket they said it was extra if you bought from the counter, but then the machines were broken so you HAD to buy from the counter and pay extra. We had paid for our hotel online but when we checked out we still had to pay a "city tax" - why was that not included in the online payment? Lots of restaurants won't give you free tap water (so you have to pay extra to get something to drink) AND some even charge you to use the toilet... even the grocery store wouldn't give you a bag, you had to either bring your own or buy one from them. Basically, I felt like they had a lot of ways to add extra charges that most places don't. That was probably the main thing I didn't like about it.

We also spent some time in Rottedam. I would highly recommend it. I kind of liked it more than Amsterdam TBH. The architecture in Rotterdam is amazing, I think I took more pictures in 1 day there than I did in 3 days in Amsterdam haha - because so many buildings are just "wow - look at that!" whereas in Amsterdam, the buildings look nice, but nothing really stands out like some of the Rotterdam buildings did. There are also a lot of really unique and interesting statues around the city, and some cool areas to eat and shop at, such as "Chinatown". Also, it's just not as "touristy" either - Amsterdam is lined with souvenir shops and whatnot - I don't think we saw a single souvenir shop in Rotterdam.

*For example, check this out:

That was our hotel in Rotterdam; our room was in one of those cubes! (and it was way cheaper than our Amsterdam hotel too!)

Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You are I hope taking the Thalys high speed train? Are you taking a lot of trains in Europe..did you get a pass etc.It usually is cheaper to book on this side of the Atlantic for Thaly's and TGV etc.
Hi Natnasci,
Yes, we are taking the Thalys!
and already bought tickets online. a total of $346 for 2 round trip tickets.
Thanks,

Old 04-13-2013, 05:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
Hi Natnasci,
Yes, we are taking the Thalys!
and already bought tickets online. a total of $346 for 2 round trip tickets.
Thanks,
Good. So much faster than the regular train.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:06 AM

where can i purchase the OV-chipcards?
we will be arriving at the central train station. is this card sold by the tourist office?
Thanks,

Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
I'm leaving tomorrow for 1.5 weeks in Brugge and the Netherlands.

Here's a better Rijksmuseum advert for the opening than any other that I've seen.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM

5,204 posts, read 4,665,923 times
I'm staying in Amsterdam the first week of July. What is the typical temperature during this time? Also, if I wanted to check out all the best clubs in the city and other nightlife, what would you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel