Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 03:07 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,165,583 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite structures in Europe?
This could be castles, cathedrals, town halls, mansions, estates, court buildings, train stations, bridges, etc.
And, for what reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 04:16 PM

469 posts, read 2,734,124 times
The most impressive thing I saw in Greece was the Temple of Olympian Zeus. Yes, the Acropolis was cool and all, but the Temple is GINORMOUS! It's so huge, and so old, that it blows your mind to think people put that thing up with ropes and pulleys.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:49 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,970,921 times
Some train stations are really cool, such as the retro one in Milan.
But I tend to go for the old stuff.

Absolute favorite:
The Pantheon in Rome.
Its majesty, mystery and holiness is palpable. I've been there when it was raining through the oculus.
It's just literally awesome, in effect on the visitor as well as the wonder of its execution.
There are gaudier, showier structures in Rome; the Vatican has many golden treasures. To me, no cathedral in Rome offers the kind of spirituality I feel in the Pantheon.

others:

Stonehenge in England.
I was lucky enough to be there before they put the fence up. Lots of people just call it a pile of rocks, but I love the place. Those standing stones exude a lot of ancient history and, in their own way, power.

The Pont du Gard (France) is yet another breathtaking sight that mightily impresses, when you consider how old it is and what an undertaking it was. It is simply beautiful, as well. On top of this, there is good swimming there on a hot summer's day.

Borthwick Castle in Scotland. This is not a very castle-y looking castle. It almost looks menacing.
But it is the real deal, built in 1430. Its just outside of Edinburgh, yet is all by itself.
Mary Queen of Scots sought refuge here.
We spent the night there ourselves. The wind whistled through the windows all night long.

The fortress at Carcassonne (France) is the classic, magical-looking castle, perfectly preserved/restored. We were there on a freezing cold February morning, and had the place to ourselves. It was other-worldly.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/Capresesalad/IMG_0406.jpg (broken link)
The City Walls of Dubrovnik offer spectacular views and, as with the other places mentioned, that feeling of ancient history.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 10-27-2007 at 06:01 AM..

Old 10-27-2007, 12:04 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,165,583 times
Of all the places mentioned so far I have only seen Pont du Gard, which impressed me very much for its size and harmonious architecture.
Unfortunately, I have not seen the great temples in Athens or Rome.
Also, thanks for the pictures of Dubrovnik, they look very inviting.
I've seen many castles along the Loire in France and thought they were all fine examples. In Germany I liked the many castles and even had the chance to live in one for 2 months. It was in a small town, Steinau, about 40 miles NE of Frankfurt.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:55 PM

469 posts, read 2,734,124 times
Here's my photo of the Temple of Olympian Zeus. It totally fails to get across the SCALE of this structure. It's mind boggling when you're standing there, dwarfed by it, and the thing is a couple of thousand years old.

Last edited by Mississippienne; 10-27-2007 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: fixed pic

Old 10-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
It's mind boggling when you're standing there, dwarfed by it, and the thing is a couple of thousand years old.
Yes, maybe this is at least part of the reason why I am attracted to those truly ancient places. How did they do it?
I do hope to get to Egypt some day. And perhaps Asia.
But Greece has some amazing structures, and those Italians sure did get around. There are some very interesting Venetian sites in Greece, and the Roman ruins all over Europe are fascinating.
Europe simply has a heck of a lot of funky old stuff.
I was in Rodez, France, and ran across this coffin flower bed on the street.

Here is a small island, I believe man-made, off Montenegro, in the Bay of Kotor. It is the Gospa os Skrpjela, Our Lady of the Rocks, a shrine to Mary, mother of Jesus, and dates back to the 17th century. Forgive the poor picture quality, my camera skills are not always that great.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:43 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,123,438 times
Cool Let see

I would have to say "Edinburgh Castle" in Scotland, wonerful. I hear that it's one of the oldest castles in the northern hemisphere. I was able to tour it, and the Tower of London's Armory, also quite beautiful and vary rich in history. Although I'm still a little puzzled by what a "Beef Eater" is .

Old 10-28-2007, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I would have to say "Edinburgh Castle" in Scotland, wonerful. I hear that it's one of the oldest castles in the northern hemisphere. I was able to tour it, and the Tower of London's Armory, also quite beautiful and vary rich in history.
Edinburgh Castle is indeed quite a place, though I liked Stirling Castle better.
I love how Stirling sits on the land, I love its history, plus all its ghosts.
Quote:
Although I'm still a little puzzled by what a "Beef Eater" is .
Beefeater
They were originally Yeomen Warders, guards at the Tower, now their job is more that of a guide.
As stated in Wikipedia, I am sure it has something to do, long ago, with how those big guys lived and/or were paid.
A Beefeater very kindly let us in free to the Tower of London years ago.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:37 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,510,381 times
The Kölner Dom (Cologne Cathedral) in Germany is my favorite building; the lovely woman that I am now married to took me and my two friends on a tour there. I left my jacket at the top and I called her the next day to see if she could check if it had been turned into "Lost & Found". It hadn't but I 'found' her, so I STILL came out ahead! Other than that, Nueschwanstein Castle is probably one of my other favorite German buildings.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:14 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,598,587 times
Gosh, that 's a really hard one, so, so many.
Not really a "structure" as such but I would have to put on the list my 2 favourite painted Prehistoric caves in South-West France , "Fond de Gaume" and "Pech-Merle as well as in
France:
Then the Sainte Chapelle in Paris, The prehistoric alignments in Carnac ( Brittany), And mostly lots of French villages ( St Cirq Lapopie, Sarlat,Montmirail, Carcassonne, Collonges La Rouge, Riquewhir and many more hundreds.
Peyrepertuse and Montsegur Cathar castles

Italy:
The Pantheon in Rome
Bruneschelli's Duomo in Florence
Positano village

Ireland:
Newgrange prehistoric complex
Glendalough little Chapel
Kylemore Abbey

Spain:
The Alhambra in Granada

Britain:

Christ Church Cathedral Oxford ( UK's smallest Cathedral and perfectly formed) and the whole of Oxford
Convocation room in the Bodleian library , Oxford
Rosslyn Chapel ( Scotland, near Edinburgh)
Eilean Donan Castle ( Scotland)
All the mysterious "Brochs" in the Western Highlands
Stirling Castle
Selby Cathedral ( England)
Highclere Castle
The little Saxon Chapel in Bradford upon Avon ( almost unaltered in 1000 years)

Germany:
Neuschwanstein

Dubrovnik
Prague
Budapest
Tallinn
and the list goes on and on and on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel