Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 PM

621 posts, read 3,206,283 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone! Are there a lot of things to do in Santorini? I've googled it and see the few things that there are to do, but could you fill up 7 or 8 days? Still haven't decided if we will do both or one or the other. If we do both, is 4 days in Athens and then 4 in Santorini sound reasonable? Can you do a day trip to another island? We are going to try and decide tonight Thanks again for all the great info and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Thanks everyone! Are there a lot of things to do in Santorini? I've googled it and see the few things that there are to do, but could you fill up 7 or 8 days? Still haven't decided if we will do both or one or the other. If we do both, is 4 days in Athens and then 4 in Santorini sound reasonable? Can you do a day trip to another island? We are going to try and decide tonight Thanks again for all the great info and suggestions!
What we did is island hopped on the ferry. Take in several islands. Santorini is good for about 3 or 4 days in my opinion - there are some impressive ruins there as well. You can rent a scooter and explore the island. Forget about day trips to the other islands, they are slightly too far - pack light and move on with your suitcases, get on the ferry, land at another island, find a place to stay, have a nice dinner, move to another island the next day or two, repeat.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:18 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Always, always check this site!

Current Travel Alerts

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...27.html#safety

Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
2nd Island hopping. Also, do not skip Athens. 2-3 days on Santorini, 1-2 days on Naxos, and the rest in Athens. Do the island trip in the middle because ocean storms can delay the ferries for a day or two if there's a gale. Doing the island trip in the middle with a few days in Athens on either side will give you flexibility between your flights.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah but, I don't remember that beach being particularly comfortable or attractive, that one on the east side. Yeah I checked it out. Now if you are a pasty white Brit that only has the cold rainy north sea to stare at all year, then yeah, go to Greece for the beach and cheap booze. Plenty do.

If you are an American and want a beach vacation, go to Hawaii or Florida or California.
Agree. It's not a beach that I'd want to spend any time on.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
In my opinion 4 days in Athens is too much, but I agree with Sponger that you should not skip Athens.

The coolest thing we did on Santorini was do the volcano excursion. You could walk among the volcano fumes seeping out of the ground. It was very easy and we had a nice lunch. The return is by donkey--it was fun.
Stay in a cave hotel.

We flew out to Crete (5 days), then Santorini (2 days), then Ios (1 day), then Athens (2 days).

If I were to do over the trip, I'd skip Ios, but my husband had wanted to re-live his youth.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:15 AM

621 posts, read 3,206,283 times
Thanks everyone for all the great tips! Unfortunately we will not be going to Greece this trip, as when deciding hubby stated he'd rather go somewhere else this time Hopefully though it is in the cards for our next vacation. We have decided (and agreed ) to go to Rome, with a day trip to Florence. So I am trying to decided where will stay etc. Thanks again for all the help given, it was much appreciated! You all have great info for us more inexperienced travelers

Old 04-01-2013, 11:39 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the great tips! Unfortunately we will not be going to Greece this trip, as when deciding hubby stated he'd rather go somewhere else this time Hopefully though it is in the cards for our next vacation. We have decided (and agreed ) to go to Rome, with a day trip to Florence. So I am trying to decided where will stay etc. Thanks again for all the help given, it was much appreciated! You all have great info for us more inexperienced travelers
Ugh. I didn't much care for Rome. However, you'll see tons of ruins in a semi-ruined city. Also the Vatican and some pretty plazas and fountains. I'd say it can be done in 3-4 days tops. Florence is great, though. I'd suggest spending a couple of days there and take the obligatory day-trip to Pisa.

Hope you like cats, because there are tons of them everywhere. They pretty much own all the ruins since the fences to keep tourists out also keep dogs out.

We stayed in a 2nd-floor hostel in Florence. People would throw table scraps onto the rooftop next to our window, where about 15 cats would gather. We bought some kitty kibble to join in one evening. Kind of like feeding furry fish. Turns out cats have very poor object-tracking abilities. You can bounce kibble off their heads and they won't be able to find it even if they're practically standing on it. Amusing.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Many years ago a group of friends and I spent a long decadent week or so on a beach that was on the west coast of Greece somewhere near Patra. Or maybe it was down near Pyrgos? I remember it as sandy or pebbly.

And when I say decadent, I really mean it! It was the early 80s, and we were in our 20s, and . . .

Old 04-01-2013, 03:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Ugh. I didn't much care for Rome. However, you'll see tons of ruins in a semi-ruined city. Also the Vatican and some pretty plazas and fountains. I'd say it can be done in 3-4 days tops. Florence is great, though. I'd suggest spending a couple of days there and take the obligatory day-trip to Pisa.

Hope you like cats, because there are tons of them everywhere. They pretty much own all the ruins since the fences to keep tourists out also keep dogs out.

We stayed in a 2nd-floor hostel in Florence. People would throw table scraps onto the rooftop next to our window, where about 15 cats would gather. We bought some kitty kibble to join in one evening. Kind of like feeding furry fish. Turns out cats have very poor object-tracking abilities. You can bounce kibble off their heads and they won't be able to find it even if they're practically standing on it. Amusing.
Rome is wonderful, but I can't tolerate the air quality there for more than about four days. The cats are very useful in Rome--they keep the rat population way down. Rome Cats - Information on the Cats who prowl Rome's Ancient Monuments

If you want to see a lot of stray dogs, visit Athens.
Stray dogs are a problem in Athens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel