Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,305,050 times

Advertisements

never mind- i will delete the artcile

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 04-09-2013 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 11:27 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,771,304 times
Hmmm, the article didn't really present good examples - looking at an earth app to find out about fires and violent regions to avoid travel assumes that a traveler doesn't know about this before a visit. And likely the will get this information from news reports or desktop web fed information.

The internet changed travel by allowing individuals to research, share information, book reservations. What do I use my smart phone for when I travel? Very little - I have a currency app that has come in handy, I have a translation app that I have never needed to use yet, I can get information on a place that I want to visit that was unplanned, and maybe GPS - but the limitation is a data connection in a foreign country, which is outragiously expensive. I wait until I get to a hotel with a wifi connection...and if I do that I can just as easily use my laptop.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 PM

893 posts, read 1,202,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Hmmm, the article didn't really present good examples - looking at an earth app to find out about fires and violent regions to avoid travel assumes that a traveler doesn't know about this before a visit. And likely the will get this information from news reports or desktop web fed information.

The internet changed travel by allowing individuals to research, share information, book reservations. What do I use my smart phone for when I travel? Very little - I have a currency app that has come in handy, I have a translation app that I have never needed to use yet, I can get information on a place that I want to visit that was unplanned, and maybe GPS - but the limitation is a data connection in a foreign country, which is outragiously expensive. I wait until I get to a hotel with a wifi connection...and if I do that I can just as easily use my laptop.
But why would you take your laptop to a foreign country? That seems like it would be an unnecessary pain - the risk of having it broken or stolen is high and the amount of time you can actually use it is low (only in your hotel room, basically - unless you want to carry it around the whole trip to use at free wi-fi spots, but that seems like a burden as well).

A smartphone is much easier to travel with, even if you only use it for wi-fi internet like you would a laptop. The only downside is that it's slightly harder to use than a laptop, but it has way more upside (doesn't take up luggage space, easier to carry around, etc.)

Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,771,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
But why would you take your laptop to a foreign country? That seems like it would be an unnecessary pain - the risk of having it broken or stolen is high and the amount of time you can actually use it is low (only in your hotel room, basically - unless you want to carry it around the whole trip to use at free wi-fi spots, but that seems like a burden as well).

A smartphone is much easier to travel with, even if you only use it for wi-fi internet like you would a laptop. The only downside is that it's slightly harder to use than a laptop, but it has way more upside (doesn't take up luggage space, easier to carry around, etc.)

Oh..yeah that...why take a laptop. I travel mostly for business so have to carry one as my "work tool". Point taken for leasure travel.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,305,050 times
Since people are still visiting this link-I will repost the link to the article-
Geography is covering new ground for travelers - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel