Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times

Advertisements

You've probably already considered this, but when planning your route, consider what Google recommends. When planning my trip to Tombstone, AZ from Northern Utah, Google kept suggesting a route that we (my dad and I) didn't want to take. Turns out Google knew best......we went OUR way and ended up spening and hour and a half driving through mountains and switchbacks at 10-30 mph. I was exhausted by the time we made in through the mountain range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 12:31 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I have done a couple of cross country drives and strongly recommend taking twice as long stopping at half the places and starting a month earlier. I did a motorcycle ride from San Francisco to NYC one summer. It took 10 days and I was exhausted. The trip included an almost nonstop ride from SF to Santa Fe in 36 hrs. Then a wonderful ride to Denver followed by a death march to Pennsylvania. DO NOT DO THIS. What you are planning is A DEATH MARCH!

I, like a couple of others, suggest planning on driving about 5 to 600 miles one day, then stopping for a couple of days, then driving again. I also thing circumnavigating the US is way too much for anyone that does not do this for a living. My wife and I are driving freaks but this would be too much. I suggest touring the northwestern mountains on one two-week trip. Driving around the Great lakes on another. The Northeast on a third and the southeast on a fourth.. Doing it all in a month will be a waste of time because all you will remember is the incredible fatigue you will experience. Covering distance is what airplanes are made to do and sight seeing is what convertibles, you are going to rent a ragtop aren’t you, are made for. In any case start earlier because the winter starts in the northern and central Rocky Mountains in mid September.

We are planning a trip next summer to New Mexico as part of our retirement. One possible route involves flying to Denver and getting an unlimited distance rental. Then we would drive some Colorado Mountain roads (a roads that lets me max out at 45 mph is my version of heaven) to Durango then south into NM and detail recon around central MN. We want to see what a hot and dry desert summer feels like. (Remembering crossing the Mojave in July it feels like riding in a furnace!) We considered a hell drive to Denver (sounds like a song title) but decided to take Southwest airpain instead.

If we just wanted to see the mountains we would consider flying to Denver and arranging an AMTRAK tour including Albuquerque, Salt Lake, San Francisco, Seattle and all the parks reachable by rail and car.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:34 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
Thank you, reality checks are always appreciated.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:01 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Definately too short a trip.
I am so jealous that i cannot think of doing it again for a few years.

We took rte 80 east and rte 70 from Colorado west.

good luck
d

Old 11-03-2007, 02:34 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
From Chicago follow the old Route 66 as much as you can. Not all of it still exists.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:22 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
10 days isn't enough. My husband and I did a cross country roadtrip...there and back took 28 days. It was awesome.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:47 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
Turns out there is a limit and we can't add any more stops.

Errr....might wanna clue your wife in. Could help your case.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:52 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
10 days isn't enough. My husband and I did a cross country roadtrip...there and back took 28 days. It was awesome.
We were originally thinking about 30 days all together. 10 out, 10 there, and 10 back. Based on your experience is this not enough time?

Old 11-03-2007, 11:01 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
My other half has gotten it into her head that we absolutely must take a grand road trip across the US before we get too old. Apparently we'll be too old starting in 2009 so this trip will take place next October.

I've already agreed to take the trip but I'm having some reservations now that we've started planning. The first half is to follow a northern route from San Francisco to Boston and will last 10 days. However, with all the stops she wants to make I'm not sure it's even possible to have a pleasurable trip.

A partial list of locations to visit would include...

A city in Nevada where my relatives were prospectors
Grand Tetons
Yellowstone
Mt. Rushmore
Badlands
Minneapolis (Mall of America & see Prairie Home Companion)
Chicago
Toronto
Niagra Falls
Adirondacks
A dozen roadside attractions
She also wants photos of us at every state line sign

So, we're up to almost 4,000 miles on that first half of the trip which works out to 400 miles a day. I'm guesstimating we'd probably average something like 50mph which would make for 8 hours of driving a day. She thinks this is fine. I'm thinking this is crazy partially because I'll be doing all the driving and partially because I think we won't have time to enjoy any of these spots. I'm not really interested in a trip where we can never get out of the car to keep a schedule.

Is this a ridiculous amount of stuff to cram into 10 days or am I being unreasonable?

If you've made this type of trip before I'd be really interested in hearing where you stopped, how long you took, what you would do differently, etc. Basically any advice on having a pleasurable trip.
Yes, it's a ridiculous amount of stuff to cram into such a short period of time. Driving 8 hours a day, not including potty breaks and time to stretch your legs, HARDLY makes for an enjoyable trip.

It took me 4 days to make the trip from Cincinnati to Phoenix, driving 65-70 MPH, with only limited time to stop and go to the bathroom and grab something to eat. I also took ONE side trip in Denver to see Red Rocks park. I can't imagine seeing everything on your list in the amount of time you're specifying. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2007, 12:50 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
We've done (2) 2 week driving trips. Both to the same part of the country (Missouri, Tennessee, North Carolina, back to Iowa). Before we leave the house we know exactly where we are going, when we will get there, where we will stay and always allow plenty of time to wander at each stop. Some places get more "wander time" than others, based on what's there. Some get none; just a place to sleep.

We plan everything using the Internet. Something my wife figured out: When looking for a hotel find the area on their web site that mentions what restaurants are close. Look for national chains like Applebees, Perkins, TGI Fridays, Chilis, etc. It's a good bet that the area around the hotel is a good one if they are listed. Those chains don't set up in poor areas very often. This also lets you plan ahead for eating. Again, using Google you can map the route from the hotel to the restaurant.

On the first trip we stopped in Chattanooga, TN. It was the only hotel picked for being close to someplace we wanted to see. We ended up driving 8 miles to eat, and were told to make sure our car was locked because there was a penitentiary "over the hill, there". The entire building smelled like it had just been sprayed with pesticide. Learned our lesson.

We both drive. Your wife doesn't? Ouch! She really needs to consider a less ambitious trip if you are the sole driver. The miles you're looking at are an invitation for an accident. We always plan "slop time" in our trips - the "wander time" I mentioned earlier. I'd rather see less and be safe.

Take plenty of chips for your camera. I purchased 4GB chips from newegg.com and seem to be able to fill them. I take movies with mine a lot and they eat up memory. When we went on a cruise last Feb I bought a 40GB stand-alone drive specifically made to dump pictures into. Has slots for pretty much any card and plugs into a computer so you can copy them easily using USB. That gives two backups and peace of mind.

We use Google maps to plan routes. You can click on a location en route and drag it to another spot on the Google map to see what a difference the new route will make. Pretty cool. We then take paper maps (those old fashion ones that fold up) and draw the route on them with felt tip pens. We now have a print of the maps from Google and one on the maps.

While all this planning and mapping may seem a bit anal, having this information at hand and knowing where we are going, allows us to relax and enjoy the side trips and we know for sure that we will have that wander time we like.

Mall of America: It's a mall. Granted it's big, but it's a mall! Been there three times with wife and friends (they go every year) and we get invited. I can't do it anymore. It is B O R I N G, and wears me to the bone. There isn't a thing there that I can't get here.

Chicago: Try to make time to go downtown and take an architectural river tour. Fascinating, and you aren't doing anything but sitting and relaxing while someone tells you about the buildings and the history. We've done two and really enjoyed them. Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium, that place where they play football, um, what do they call it? Right across from the Natural History museum. You can take tours on double decker buses, too. Someone will give you a history lesson about Chicago during the ride. Navy Pier. Pretty neat. The high-speed "scary" boat rides aren't either - skip them. Walk Michigan Ave "Miracle Mile", go over to Rush street and gawk at Ferrari's, Lamboughini's, Maseratti's and other cars most people can't afford at a dealership there. Go to Heaven on Seventh (upstairs) and have some really, really good Cajun. Red Beans and Rice to die for! We drive over for long weekends and always enjoy it. You can stay outside downtown and take the trains in and back out. Quick and a lot easier than driving. Oh, there is a very nice restaurant at Macy's, uh, Marshall Fields, uh, whatever they call it now - get a seat by the windows. Beautiful views of downtown and excellent food.

Des Moines: If you stop here and like something a little different go to Living History Farms. It's right off the Interstate by the west mix master and shows you how people lived before electricity, cars, etc. Different, but neat. There's a huge mall not too far away if you absolutely have to go to one (Jordan Creek Town Center - it's a mall). The State Capital is a beautiful building, and is not too far from the freeway.

If you do go to Minneapolis (beautiful city) you might consider driving to Milwaukee, then to Chicago. Milwaukee seems to have a different ethnic celebration on every weekend I'm there. Great food, wonderful people. If you like good wine Cedarburg is north of Milwaukee and Wisconsin Wineries - Cedar Creek Winery, Cedarburg, Wisconsin has some excellent wines.

Heading south on the way home? Asheville, NC is a great place to stop. Lot of arts and crafts and the Biltmore is a must see. Try driving the Blue Ridge for a while. Very pretty, but wearing on the driver. Be careful and pay attention. Learn to pull off the road for faster cars and logging trucks. You'll see graveled areas and drives. As soon as you spot one, hit the turn signal and pull off. Spotted a bear and cub crossing the highway when we were there.

I-40 will take you all the way across the south part of the country. Lots of places to stop, but distances get long the further west you get. Grand Canyon as a side trip: We just got back from Vegas and took a bus tour to the South Rim. 17 hours! 3 at the canyon. We're going back for an extended stay. I want to ride a mule down and back up. We are going back to Vegas after Thanksgiving and are planning on going to the Valley of Fire. A client highly recommends it so we'll give it a look. Lake Havasau is a bit south and holds the London Bridge.

In Arkansas you will find Eureka Springs. Nice little tourist town. Excellent Botanical Gardens, and this: Thorncrown Chapel - laying down the gauntlet with a breathtaking revelation « Quaerentia

Niagara Falls! Sorry, missed that. We stayed at the Marriott on The Falls. Wow! 23rd floor if I remember right. Beautiful place - stay on the Canadian side. Wine tours, tours over to ?? on the lake (of the lake?) can't remember for sure. One of the all-time best trips ever. I'd do it again in a minute. Not too far from the Marriott is a restaurant where you can sit on an open roof and watch the light shows and fireworks - good food too. Take the boat that goes up to the falls. Maid in the Mist I think it was. Fun! Wrap your camera in plastic, though, you'll get wet. Get your passport early - long wait times, and don't say anything to the guards at the crossing unless they ask. Our limo driver cautioned us to only answer what we were asked and do not offer any unsolicited information.

I guarantee you I've missed a lot of places that others can mention. Take your time, enjoy the trip. It might be the only chance you have to take one like it. Don't rush.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 11-04-2007 at 01:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel