Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I completely forgot I made this post until now, thanks for the advice you guys. I didn't realize it would be cold in late May. Will camping in a tent be possible? Are there any real dangers to camping there? I grew up in Michigan, we never really had to worry about bears when we were camping, our biggest fear was having the park ranger make us pour out our beers when we got too loud.
this girl that you're dating....would you say that you could run faster than she can?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 05:17 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
this girl that you're dating....would you say that you could run faster than she can?

I didn't even think about that. I have two things going for me, I'm considerably faster and an accidental trip could always happen, so I'd probably be the bear's second choice.

Plus I did Karate as a kid..

Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
DON't GUESS... The park is open YR Round and PLENTY to do in May (and January), some areas will be closed or not staffed, ALL roads may not be opened (due to late snows) and probably some threats of sequester outages. (Holding taxpayers hostage, only in AMERICA).
Did you read what I wrote??? I said I didn't know if would be open, as in officially open where they collect money. I said they would be able to get in no matter when they went.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:08 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Follow the safety signs and don't attempt to get your photo with a bison or grizzly bear. You'd think people would know better, but apparently, many of them don't.
Bison can be extremely dangerous, and most surely are not like Grampa's dairy cows back home. More humans have been killed or injured in YNP over the years than by bears, although on a case by case encounter grizzlys are by far the more dangerous animal.

Quote:
Will camping in a tent be possible? Are there any real dangers to camping there? I grew up in Michigan, we never really had to worry about bears when we were camping, our biggest fear was having the park ranger make us pour out our beers when we got too loud.
A not so well known fact is that there are actually more black bears in YNP than grizzlys, and this is pretty much the same animal as found back in Michigan. However, the grizzly, should one encounter one, is a much different animal than the blackie, and if precautions are not observed, can be a definite danger. Study up before visiting, read the websites and literature, learn about proper behavior while in bear country, and you should be fine. The sight of a wild grizzly is quite a treat should you be so fortunate.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Plus I did Karate as a kid..
Ah yes. Karate against a grizzly bear.

I'm putting my $10 on the bear.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 AM

814 posts, read 2,043,174 times
don't forget about the wolf packs!!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:39 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Looking to make a trip to Yellowstone late May with the girl I'm dating. Just wondering on advice with this trip. It was more her idea, somewhere she has wanted to go, and a place I know nothing about but am very excited to go to.

Does anyone have any advice on doing a trip out there? I don't really know where to start. Would be nice to camp in a tent with nice scenery and have different things to do throughout the day.
I'm happy to answer your questions. I've camped in Yellowstone probably half a dozen times over the years. I've also stayed in motels near the park and campgrounds outside it as well.

There are a couple of things your post doesn't address that are important:

1. Which direction are you entering the park from?

Yellowstone is a huge piece of real estate. You can enter the park from Gardiner, Montana on the North, from Wyoming on the South, from West Yellowstone, Montana on the West, and from Cody, Wyoming on the East.

2. What are your interests?

Sightseeing from your car? Fishing? Hiking? Boating? Or, something else?

I've included a link to a map that shows these points of entry and the principal roads in Yellowstone.

Google Image Result for http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Imgs/Gif/Yellowstone/Maps/map_yellowstone.gif

The most important thing to remember about sightseeing in Yellowstone is that most of the sights are on the lower or the upper loops. IMO, you are going to want at a minimum to see all the following:

1. Old Faithful (accept the fact that even in May it will probably be somewhat crowded).

2. Yellowstone Falls.

3. The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.

4. The Norris Geyser Basin.

5. Mammoth Hot Springs

6. The geysers on the lower loop, my favorite area here is one called "Fountain Paint Pot".

7. The area along the Madison River from West Yellowstone to Madison Junction.

Seeing all of these requires parking your car and doing short hikes.

Now, let's address the whole business about camping. May is very early to be camping in Yellowstone. It can be done. You will almost certainly see some remaining snow on the ground though. Keep in mind that you will be at elevations ranging between about 6,000 and 7,000 feet during much of the trip. You cross the Continental Divide during your trip inside the park. You can camp in May if you are used to somewhat cold weather and you have the right gear. I'd bring heavy coats and long sleeve clothing.

My favorite campgrounds in Yellowstone are the ones at Madison Junction and the Norris Geyser Basin. Space can (and probably should) be reserved in advance at Madison Junction. Its a modern campground with flush toilets and such. The campground at Norris is less modern, but the setting is far more natural and what you expect on a trip into a national park.

I'm including a link to the National Park Service information on campgrounds in Yellowstone. It tells you which ones you can reserve space in advance at and what conveniences are available at each.

If you decide that its too cold to camp, you can get lodging at any of the towns around the park. You might be able to get it in the park too since May (before Memorial Day) is slightly off season. Rates will be a bit lower than in the summer.

There are some great things to see outside the park as well. Let me know if you have other questions, and I'll wish you a good trip. Bring along a good camera.

Campgrounds in Yellowstone - Yellowstone National Park

Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 PM

804 posts, read 2,003,983 times
markg had some great tips. while i cannot answer any questions on camping, i can tell you about our trip for 10 days out there in june, 2011.

the weather was pleasant most days but it was cooler & drizzly a few days. early in our trip it there was ice & snow causing dunraven's passs to be closed down. no worries - they are used to that. the pass was reopened the next day & it was a majestic trip to lamar valley with large snow banks on either side of us. when we got to lamar valley, there was no snow as its at a smaller elevation.

we stayed in cabins throughout the duration of our trip. we stayed 3 nights in the canyon area & then moved on for 3 nights in the lake area. this allowed us to make day trips (& some evening trips for my husband) to each of the areas. since i'm married to an ecologist (& this trip was his graduation present for completing his PhD), we were "required" to see all the ecosystems in the park. this allowed for a wide range of amazing views in all the park areas. if/when you go, do make a trip of it so that you can visit all of these areas. while you may not be as much of a naturelover as my husband, you will be amazed at the beauty of the land & the animals, not to mention the diversity of ecosystems & natural features of the park.

definitely schedule a trip to the tetons as i agree they are different from yellowstone & are amazing to see. some of our best pictures (in my opinion) were in the tetons area.

we also booked a paddle/saddle trip in gardiner, montana (just outstide the park) that included a 2 hour horseback ride on a dude ranch in montana, followed by a 2 hour whitewater paddle/float. it was an exciting day & a great way to get to see the beautiful area & the park itself on our way out there.

camping is a possibility if you are hardcore but do be prepared for extremes in the weather. we had everything from 40s to 70s during the days & saw plenty of snow, ice, sleet, & rain during our trip. the evenings got quite chilly but since we were in cabins, we didn't notice much unless we were returning from dinner to our cabin or something similar.

if you want a real-feel for the park & its beauty, i recommend NOT staying at the old faithful area as it was definitely commercialized. we enjoyed getting to visit to see old faithful but i wouldn't recommend staying in that area. other parts of the park are less commercialized & offer much of the park's natural beauty on its own.

best of luck with planning your trip.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I'm sure you've already Googled Yellowstone for all the sites you can handle. If not, do so. I've often visited Yellowstone in late May. It will be cool. Snow is still pretty likely. Nights will be chilly, probably dipping into the upper 30s or low 40s, possibly into the 20s. There will still be lots of snow on higher trails, and streams and rivers will be running high, so it's not a good time to hike the back country.

There's at least one campground that only allows hard-sided campers due to bears, Fishing Bridge. I wouldn't be too concerned about the others. Grizzlies in Yellowstone's campgrounds are pretty rare. Black bears would be a bit more common, but they're not likely either as the Park will get rid of them pretty quickly for safety. If you tent camp, keep the food away from your tent and stored in your vehicle. I wouldn't say it would be unsafe to tent camp, but in late May it might not be comfortable.

You'll want winter clothing (layered) and warm sleeping bags if you tent camp. It's still pretty early spring in Yellowstone, due to the elevation. Unless you're experienced campers, I think I'd plan on a room or cabin. The Lodge at Old Faithful would be a great choice. I stayed in a cabin there once, but on most all my visits I've had a camper of one kind or another. If you can't find a room in the Park, West Yellowstone is close enough for easy access to all the Park.

The East Gate (from Cody) opened today. The South Gate (from Jackson) opens next week. Both of these openings at this time are thanks to the residents and (mostly) businesses in Cody and Jackson, who worked out a deal with Wyoming's governor and WyDot to open their respective roads into the Park. Yellowstone had planned much later openings this year due to "reduced budgets", but the Chamber of Commerces in Cody and Jackson raised funds locally to have WyDot open them.

I believe the West Gate has been open for a couple weeks, and it's still too early to predict when the Beartooth will open.

Jackson and Cody are both good towns to spend a little time in. In Cody don't miss the Buffalo Bill Museum.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
...if you want a real-feel for the park & its beauty, i recommend NOT staying at the old faithful area as it was definitely commercialized. we enjoyed getting to visit to see old faithful but i wouldn't recommend staying in that area....
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
...Unless you're experienced campers, I think I'd plan on a room or cabin. The Lodge at Old Faithful would be a great choice....
I didn't mean to disagree with your recommendation -- just now read yours. The reason I suggested Old Faithful Lodge is because of it's main lodge. I believe it was the first lodging built in Yellowstone and is rather impressive. One wouldn't need to stay there to see it though.

But let's face it. None of the lodging at Yellowstone is very natural unless you hike back in. The thinking of the Park's management has always been, it seems, to concentrate the large numbers of visitors into only a few densely packed areas for whatever their needs might be. If you want to get away from the crowds and commercialization, I'd suggest picking one of the small campgrounds, like Pebble Creek, Slough Creek, Tower Fall or Indian Creek or leaving the park and camping in one of the nearby Forest Service Campgrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel