Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:31 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Phil, I am assuming, you are not a 90 year old W.W. II veteran, blind, deaf, and in a wheelchair, correct?

Please defend the strip search...must be to check out the extra padding....those are Depends. The batteries, are for the hearing aids, the wires, are actually a T Coil adaptive device for hearing impaired, and the long, aluminum tubes? Not a pipe bomb? Nope, a long cane for blind. And those huge shoes? Must be a bomb....nope, built up shoes for diabetics, with neuropathy, and missing part of foot. And the liquid? Specialized Ensure for diabetics. And the drugs? All those vials, pills, and syringes? What brittle diabetic would check their medication?

These people just need a modicum of common sense, that is all I ask. Not a complete search of an older, obviously disabled man.
Ask yourself this simple question: Who is the next bomber?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's true, you never know who may be a bomber. BUT you never know a lot of things and we don't set up TSA style checkpoints.

Have they caught anyone? If not this is a waste. If so, WHO HAVE THEY CAUGHT....those are the kinds of people they should be looking for. This EVERYONE CAN BE A TERRORIST approach is moronic

Old 05-27-2013, 09:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Profile based on body language, how the ticket was purchased, where the person has traveled to in the past, and yes, their nationality. Stop bothering the frequent flyers who have been flying the same route every other week for three years on a ticket paid for by the same credit card and with the same frequent flyer number for 30 years and the elderly and small children. Look at the risk and focus on that. Been to the Sudan, you're suspect. Same thing with Pakistan, Iraq, and Yemen. Acting suspicious--averting eye contact or moving in such a way that you appear to be trying to conceal something--you're suspect. Not being able to give reasonable answers to questions such as "Why are you flying to Chicago today?"--you're suspect. A ticket bought with cash should also be considered suspect. Here on an expired student visa? Not only are you suspect, but you should also be detained for the INS so your ass get get sent back to where ever you came from. A little common sense goes a long way.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:27 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Ask yourself this simple question: Who is the next bomber?
There are better, more sophisticated methods of doing TSA checks, and if we use statistics, in looking at the last 50 terrorists, most, if not all, are males, between the ages of 18 and 40. So, I am thinking, we can exclude the extreme searches of elderly and young children.

Just some common sense. That is all I ask.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
This discussion came up before on why we can't emulate Israel's method of airport security - which involves sophisticated technology and skilled airport security officers (not reject wallmart greeters) that use screening and profiling. But, relying on technology and selected flyers, it is not intrusive. I am not going to repeat the detail of what they employ, but obviously, the Israeli method is very effective.

The argument has always been "no Israel only has a limited number of international airports, we can't mulitiply the process throughout the US, it's impossible". My answer to that is RUBBISH. TSA has 56,000 employees with a budget of 10 billion dollars a year, active at 450 airports nationwide. The infrastructure is already there. Don't tell me what is impossible for the government to put in place.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:56 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This discussion came up before on why we can't emulate Israel's method of airport security - which involves sophisticated technology and skilled airport security officers (not reject wallmart greeters) that use screening and profiling. But, relying on technology and selected flyers, it is not intrusive. I am not going to repeat the detail of what they employ, but obviously, the Israeli method is very effective.

The argument has always been "no Israel only has a limited number of international airports, we can't mulitiply the process throughout the US, it's impossible". My answer to that is RUBBISH. TSA has 56,000 employees with a budget of 10 billion dollars a year, active at 450 airports nationwide. The infrastructure is already there. Don't tell me what is impossible for the government to put in place.
Israel also guards their aircraft while on the ground w/ guys with guns in SUVs. Nothing they do is practical for the US to do except maybe at some of the really small airports. Which incidentally are also the most anal.

Publicly the TSA says they don't profile. However if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Israel also guards their aircraft while on the ground w/ guys with guns in SUVs. Nothing they do is practical for the US to do except maybe at some of the really small airports. Which incidentally are also the most anal.

Publicly the TSA says they don't profile. However if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.
I can guarantee that El Al guards all their planes while in the US. Drive down the NJ Turnpike some afternoon, notice the El Al plane parked on the tarmac on the south side of the airport, with the white SUV with tinted windows parked directly underneath. That's not the Keystone Cops.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

It is practical, and effective, and will also reduce labor costs (useless TSA staff) in the long term. I think you misunderstood, I am talking about the non-instrusive very sophisticated technology that Isreal has in place at it's airport, it's not all about guys with guns or specialy trained and higly paid security staff interviewing all people wearing towels on there heads (although I can assure you "guys with guns" are at our airports as well). That's a misconception. But our security system is also free to borrow some elements and leave others on the table.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Yeah, the problem with the TSA is that they suspend common sense then expect people to on board with the ridiculous. Ordinary JQ Public doesn't work that way in life and get frustrated when confronted by the TSA and their 'rules'. I know I have. My example is being made to have a body search after my flight was cancelled and I spent the night in Chicago. I didn't make the flight get cancelled, I didn't have access to my bags, but I was made out as potential whatever. My boarding pass got a big red stamp. Quite ridiculous.

And do we really want a military aviation state? Do you really want armed people everywhere? What's the price paid then? Who actually wins? No thanks.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Well, this just came across my desk, the House passed a bill, '' Helping Heroes Fly'', disabled veterans will have expedited screening by TSA. no more long lines, and detailed searches. Passed the house, 413 - 0.

Kudos to them.

Great job, but stupid it takes an act of Congress for some common sense. And does not include other disabled non veterans.

Text of H.R. 1344: Helping Heroes Fly Act (Referred to Senate Committee version) - GovTrack.us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel