Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 AM

318 posts, read 564,320 times

Advertisements

Do you travel to places from your past just to look around and reminisce?

Maybe you lived in a town 20 years ago when you were in High School and the family moved on but happen to be nearby on a business or pleasure trip, would you go out of your way to check out the old homestead? (If you didn't know anyone from there anymore). Would you enjoy looking around and reminiscing?

How I happen to think about this is I attended a 20 year High School Reunion and some of the people there had not returned to their home town until then after moving away right after graduation. Many of them moved a just 100 miles away but if their family was no longer in the town they lived in during High School they never returned. I found this odd. Many told me they had never gone back and visited their College either.

To me one of the best type of trips is to revisit places from the past and see how you look at it differently with maturity. What do you think?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,725,206 times
I like to go back to old places and reminisce too. It is nice to try to drive around an area and see how it has changed. I like when some things stay the same. It is amazing how the memories come back and allow me to remember a different time in my life.

There has been an instance where I left an area, and didn't think it was anything special. Now that I am more mature, and I go back to it and I am amazed. It is really a great area!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,555,827 times
I never moved away, so there's not a lot of traveling back.

But sometimes I use Google street view to look up places that I haven't been to in years -- my grandparent's house that I haven't seen since they moved out in the 1970s, things like that.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,074,280 times
I like to go back and reminisce, but I generally wouldn't go out of my way or plan a trip for that purpose.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,821,688 times
I've never returned just to look around. A couple of years ago I returned to the street I lived on as a small child as it was five minutes out of my way on a business trip. My brother lives a few blocks from the street I spent most of my childhood on, so I see that fairly often when I'm up visiting them. But to make a special trip? Not going to happen.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,197,292 times
Absolutely, in fact, just did so last week. A semi rural area 100 miles away and many, many years ago in time. Walked up an old steep dirt road to the top of a hill to where I once lived and let my mind wander and time travel.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 AM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,502,760 times
When I was a child we lived about 5 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was a normal Sunday in the hot summertime for us to climb the mountain and catch the cool 70 degrees breeze and spend the afternoon sunning on top of a quilt in the cool air. Now I feel the need to visit the "scenic" at least twice a year to see the flowering trees and the fall leaves. I don't always get to but the need is there.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:10 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,139,103 times
I like to ... doesn't happen as much as there is only so much time & money

I definitely would never want to live in my hometown and was very happy when I got out of there .... However, there is something about it that helps bring me peace when I visit .... It's still home .... Right now I still have family and don't get back that often so I'm sure that helps .... However, there are certain things in the area I want to visit with my kids when they get a little older - hopefully my family is still around, but if not it's still something I want to do .... As for now, it's hard to explain - but just walking those rural streets, going to a market or driving through the hills just settles me down

I'm itching to get back to Philadelphia and probably will once my universities campus is a little more built out .... meet up with some old friends, see the changes and BS about once was .... it's exciting to see the changes

I also did a study abroad in London .... my wife has never been to Europe and there are probably more exciting/exotic places to go .... but I'd love to swing by the old neighborhood, hit a couple of the pubs and look back on some good times had while loving the present and discussing good times to come

However, there are a lot of places we like to travel to and many places we haven't been that we are excited to check out

Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 PM

18,750 posts, read 11,714,504 times
I recently found the address to my first childhood home and I'd like to get the GPS and check it out on a very cold early morning winter day. It's in a sketchy neighborhood now. Something very strange happened to me there when I was around 5 years old. I still own the house I grew up in and I get to reminisce every time one of the tenants moves out. Sometimes for months at a time.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,802,578 times
I have lived in three states, several cities and towns in each state, and I have traveled to all of them to see the homes and neighborhoods I lived in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel