Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
... I'm very interested in farms. I'm extremely interested in fresh local food!

When it comes to outdoor activities, I enjoy kayak and hiking most.
Quote:
..I grew up in a big city, that's one of the reasons that I'm very interested in farms. I'm extremely interested in fresh local food!

When it comes to outdoor activities, I enjoy kayak and hiking most.
commercial version, so not sure the cost will compare to Casacasa.org, but worth looking into.

Map of U.S. Farms and Ranches Offering Lodging | Farm Stay U.S.
(Also search agritourism) I really enjoy personal interaction with hosts and some of my best farm stays have been in New Eng. Went back to a farm this yr, and they had our pic on their fridge from 20 yrs ago!! (helping in the barnyard). One dairy family was boarding horses for a dude ranch, so we rode pastures and forest everyday. Our kids loved that... and got along great with farmer kids and were able to fetch and bridle their choice of steeds.

10 great places to kayak in New England - Boston.com
Canoeing, Kayaking activities in New England - Lonely Planet
Check with outfitters, water flow might be too low in Aug for white water, But hiking in the The New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation : Franconia Notch State Park Is GREAT.
List of notches in New Hampshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Climb Mt WA Mount Washington Observatory (MWOBS) – Surviving Mount Washington

VT hiking (biking is good too)Hiking in Vermont - Best Hikes, Guides, and Trail Maps | EveryTrail
Vermont Hiking Guides, Tours, Lodging and Trails
Stowe, Vermont Sports & Outdoor Activities in Stowe Vermont: Golf, Hiking, Biking, Fishing, & More!

For Kayaking, I would pursue sea kayaking in Bar Harbour, Acadia NP area
National Park Sea Kayak Tours - Bar Harbor - Reviews of National Park Sea Kayak Tours - TripAdvisor

National Park Sea Kayak Tours - Bar Harbor, ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
EMS also offers seal watching Kayak tours in Narraganset bay, RI
Eastern Mountain Sports Kayaking School | Kayak Tours

You can also take in Newport, RI from the harbour. You'll see some of the mansions, but many are more land locked.

You can kayak to all the Boston Harbour Islands
http://www.nps.gov/boha/index.htm

Or take a whale watching voyage from the New England Aquarium in Boston. Don't know if August is the best month for seal or whale watching though.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
I plan to have a 10-day trip to New England in late August (probably Aug 15 to Aug 25), and I will fly to Boston to get started. Boston is the only city that I want to explore a little bit, because I prefer outdoor activities. Maine and New Hampshire are high on my list, whereas CT, MA and RI seem to be too urban.

I've done some research and I have a rough idea of what great things New England can offer, such as white mountains in NH, lobsters and Arcadia National Park in ME.

However, any suggestions for a solo traveler? I feel that most vistors are in group.

Thanks!
Calling RI urban is an oxymoron. RI is 75% forest. While called the ocean state, it has many miles of coastline on the Narragansett Bay. There are several tourist boats that cruise Narragansett Bay, one of them from Rocky Point in Warwick and the other from somewhere on the east Bay - Blount Marine, if memory serves, is the line.

Then there are the woods of Glocester County and Burrillville in the northwest and the lakes and forest (great for kayaking and hiking) in western South County - there's a state park right off route 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
EMS also offers seal watching Kayak tours in Narraganset bay, RI
Eastern Mountain Sports Kayaking School | Kayak Tours

You can also take in Newport, RI from the harbour. You'll see some of the mansions, but many are more land locked.

You can kayak to all the Boston Harbour Islands
Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area - Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area

Or take a whale watching voyage from the New England Aquarium in Boston. Don't know if August is the best month for seal or whale watching though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel