Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,323 times

Advertisements

I plan to have a 10-day trip to New England in late August (probably Aug 15 to Aug 25), and I will fly to Boston to get started. Boston is the only city that I want to explore a little bit, because I prefer outdoor activities. Maine and New Hampshire are high on my list, whereas CT, MA and RI seem to be too urban.

I've done some research and I have a rough idea of what great things New England can offer, such as white mountains in NH, lobsters and Arcadia National Park in ME.

However, any suggestions for a solo traveler? I feel that most vistors are in group.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:59 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
I plan to have a 10-day trip to New England in late August (probably Aug 15 to Aug 25), and I will fly to Boston to get started. Boston is the only city that I want to explore a little bit, because I prefer outdoor activities. Maine and New Hampshire are high on my list, whereas CT, MA and RI seem to be too urban.

I've done some research and I have a rough idea of what great things New England can offer, such as white mountains in NH, lobsters and Arcadia National Park in ME.

However, any suggestions for a solo traveler? I feel that most vistors are in group.

Thanks!
Boston is a nice town to visit. It's very safe and the T gets you (eventually) to most points of interest in the city. I usually drive around downtown because I've learned all the secret free parking zones. Even if you're going to drive the rest of your trip, I'd suggest waiting on the rental car for 1-2 days while you explore downtown Boston. The downtown tiny and you can walk it in a day along with a museum or aquarium visit. Of course follow the obligatory red line freedom walk. You can get a charlie card for free from transit workers (then put a few bucks on it at a machine). There's a little discount and free transfers with the card. If you're in town Thurs, Fri, or Sat, go to Haymarket and see the fish/veggie market, that doesn't make most tourist brochures. Stay out of the way, though, maybe just look from the outside. There's cheap beer at "Sissy K's" and "The Tap" in the area. When/If you have a car, drive up to the Marblehead and/or Gloucester areas to see some pretty nice coastline. Parking is regulated in the summer, though, so you may have to pay.

Portland, ME is a nice town town to visit with some touristy stuff and lighthouses to see.

One more tip for Boston: You can get 1 free ride on the T FROM the airport. Skip the airport shuttle to the blue line and get on the Silver Line bus instead (no fare collected at the airport so far). Transfer at any subway station (South Station is probably your best bet), don't go through any turnstiles and you will stay inside the system gates the whole time. Free ride to anywhere the subways run. Bam! Saved you $2.40.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
You will miss the leaves. Mt. Washington in the White Mountains is a serious hike and well worth it. I haven't been to Mt. Katahdin but if I was up in Maine I wouldn't miss it. Take Route 1 along the coast, stop at the roadside joints for lobster and corn on the cob. Acadia National park is nice too.

Pinkham Notch has inexpensive dormitories and food, good for getting an early start.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:57 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
If you get as far north as Bangor Maine there will likely be some waterfront concerts with big names going on the end of August. If you do decide to do this, it's better to have advanced tickets. They begin in late may and run through early Oct. Check on Google for schedule on Waterfront Concerts in Bangor ME. Actually our 3 day American Folk Festival will be on during Aug. 23 - 25. Great food and music from all over.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 04-29-2013 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,051 times
I solo-traveled to New England in 2008 (July).

I flew to Boston, but immediately drove to Maine. Make sure you have money for tolls, by the way. I attended a minor league baseball game. I explored some of southern rural Maine, rather than the city of Portland.

I drove to New Hampshire for some hiking at Grand Monadnock, which is in the southern portion of the state. This is a popular hike.

I also visited Hanover, NH, White River Junction, VT, Claremont, NH and Brattleboro, VT, all in the Connecticut River area.

After that, I drove all the way to Cape Cod for a few days, staying in a hostel close to the end (Truro).

Old 04-29-2013, 07:21 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post

Thanks!
There are still swathes of CT and (to a little bit) RI that are quite rural. Most of MA outside of I-95/128 is fairly rural (except Worcester, Springfield, and the Merrimack valley).

However, Lowell can be nice as a history lesson.

The hike up Wachusett Mt is nice and not hard. On a good day, you see downtown Boston ~60 miles away.
The Berkshires are nice, not as impressive as the Green or White mountains.

August is almost perfect for New England though - most mosquitoes and black flies are dead, and it's not too cold in the mountains!
I'm sure you've seen it, but this year is the 125th anniversary of the AMC huts in the Whites. If you want to stay in one, look soon!

Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
How about visiting Cape Cod?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
There are a lot of beautiful rural areas in MA, CT, and RI - but with a limited time frame and a passion for outdoor activities, I would definitely focus on Maine and New Hampshire (and perhaps a little bit of Vermont).

Boston is a fantastic city and definitely warrants some of your time (don't bother renting the car until you're ready to leave the city - you won't need it in Boston). You can hightail it up I-95 North towards Maine, or, if you are interested in historical small towns, you can opt for the scenic route along MA's North Shore: Salem, Ipswich, Newburyport - up to the wonderful town of Portsmouth, NH - before entering Maine.

At any rate, the Maine coast doesn't get really interesting until you're well past Portland. Follow route 1 through the Mid-Coast region and enjoy the charm and seafood in small towns like Wiscasset and Damariscotta. Pemaquid Point could make for a nice detour. Eventually you'll wind up in Camden - the Camden Hills make for a great hiking spot as the views from summits like Mt. Megunticook are phenomenal (for a less strenuous journey, drive to the top of Mt. Battie).

Acadia National Park would be your ultimate destination along the Maine Coast, and a great base for a couple days' worth of outdoor activities.

The drive west from Acadia to the White Mountains (primarily along Route 2) is long and relatively uneventful, but your first glimpse of Mt. Washington makes it worth the trip. Base yourself in the White Mountains for a few days and enjoy the finest hiking on the East Coast, along with plenty of other outdoor activities. The nearby Lakes Region offers a lot of opportunities for water sports.

For a little taste of Vermont to "complete" the New England experience, you can easily day trip into the state from your base in the White Mountains - drive through charming villages like Peacham and Cabot and get a feel for the laid-back Vermont lifestyle.

From the White Mountains, it's a straight shot back to Boston on I-93. (Of course, you could certainly do the trip in the opposite order, starting with the WM and then going to Acadia).

If you'd like any more specific recommendations about things to do in any of these places, please let me know!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Can you go closer to Oct (fall colors).
I have been doing it for 20 yrs from PNW.

I fly to Manchester on SWA and get a $10 - $15 car in priceline or Hotwire.

I stay in private guesthomes VERY safe and $10 / night. If over age 40, there are many. if under, try Casacasa.org or similar.

What are your favorite things to do? I have rode bikes, canoed, Kayak, motorcycle hike ski...
I like the small towns and spend time making crayon or pencil impressions of old headstones in cemeteries, also Norman Rockwell Museums and similar. Go to harvest / farm markets, local eateries, county museums, bridge tours (covered and rock). Historical self tours (Revolutionary / French wars..). I like to stay on dairy farms and help out for a few days (I'm a farm kid).

Take a backpack stove, so you can heat stew, cocoa, soup...

Do enjoy the local specialties:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/pemaquid-fis...co-op-pemaquid

Don't get too carried away on following the coast, as you will have a LONG trip (in and out). Pick a few places and enjoy more time there. As well as a few hours at LL Bean Store. Acadia Bar Harbour is worth a few days (2 minimum). I would NOT recommend the Cape or RI / CT, Martha's Vineyard. save for another trip. Boston Cannery has a few Classical OLD time eateries., but you won't see ALL of Boston either. It is a nice place to come back to several times. Hopefully in the future you will get a few PAID work trips to conventions / edu seminars to Boston and NYC.

I really enjoyed the Granite Quarry tour in Vermont. (As well as http://www.crjc.org/heritage/V09-60.htm) http://www.americanprecision.org/
Longest Covered Bridge there as well. And of course get to nearby Woodstock, VT and country places.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-30-2013 at 12:03 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Can you go closer to Oct (fall colors).
I have been doing it for 20 yrs from PNW.

I fly to Manchester on SWA and get a $10 - $15 car in priceline or Hotwire.

I stay in private guesthomes VERY safe and $10 / night. If over age 40, there are many. if under, try Casacasa.org or similar.

What are your favorite things to do? I have rode bikes, canoed, Kayak, motorcycle hike ski...
I like the small towns and spend time making crayon or pencil impressions of old headstones in cemeteries, also Norman Rockwell Museums and similar. Go to harvest / farm markets, local eateries, county museums, bridge tours (covered and rock). Historical self tours (Revolutionary / French wars..). I like to stay on dairy farms and help out for a few days (I'm a farm kid).

Take a backpack stove, so you can heat stew, cocoa, soup...

Do enjoy the local specialties:
Pemaquid Fisherman's Co-Op - Pemaquid, ME

Don't get too carried away on following the coast, as you will have a LONG trip (in and out). Pick a few places and enjoy more time there. As well as a few hours at LL Bean Store. Acadia Bar Harbour is worth a few days (2 minimum). I would NOT recommend the Cape or RI / CT, Martha's Vineyard. save for another trip. Boston Cannery has a few Classical OLD time eateries., but you won't see ALL of Boston either. It is a nice place to come back to several times. Hopefully in the future you will get a few PAID work trips to conventions / edu seminars to Boston and NYC.

I really enjoyed the Granite Quarry tour in Vermont. (As well as Robbins and Lawrence Armory and Machine Shop / American Precision Museum) American Precision Museum - Home
Longest Covered Bridge there as well. And of course get to nearby Woodstock, VT and country places.
Thank you! October is not possible for me this year.

I grew up in a big city, that's one of the reasons that I'm very interested in farms. I'm extremely interested in fresh local food!

When it comes to outdoor activities, I enjoy kayak and hiking most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel