U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM

38,870 posts, read 22,813,269 times

Advertisements

I've made plans to stay a couple of nights at the North Rim next month. I've always heard it's a different experience from the South Rim, which gets a lot more traffic.

Any advice from you who've been there?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 06:28 PM

5,726 posts, read 10,805,991 times
No, but I'll compare notes with you after I go this summer. We're staying at the North Rim Lodge.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:33 PM

4,795 posts, read 11,469,397 times
I was there last October and loved it. It was less crowded than the south rim but the views are just as beautiful. There quite a few cabins by the lodge and the lodge itself was quite nice. There are several easy trails along the rim close by the lodge.

Here is a view from the north rim lodge

IMG_2305 by kanhawk, on Flickr

Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 AM

6,420 posts, read 10,754,446 times
It's a different feel, and a different view. The South Rim is much more crowded (on top) and developed. The trails on the NR aren't as long, but more "natural." The elevation is higher on the NR, and June nights can be chilly. The access roads from the Pariah Plateau and Kanab are far more interesting than coming from the south, and should be considered part of the adventure.

One thing to consider: you may have a harder time getting good pictures since the canyon will be backlit most of the day. They'll still be spectacular, but may look rather flat. It's easier to get contoured pics on the SR.

Great photo, proving me wrong, kanhawk! But we only had a few hours during midday and couldn't wait for the deep shadows of sunset/sunrise.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:40 PM

1,703 posts, read 2,178,121 times
North Rim views are far better! It is the shot of the the canyon you see in movies and pictures.

The South Rim is just closer to Vegas, and therefore gets a lot of traffic.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:38 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,696,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
North Rim views are far better! It is the shot of the the canyon you see in movies and pictures.

The South Rim is just closer to Vegas, and therefore gets a lot of traffic.
When we were at the Grand Canyon, we were told that the South Rim is the most photographed part of the canyon. The guides at Grand Canyon National Park also said most of the professional photos and media of the canyon are shot at the South Rim. It is actually the West Rim with the glass "Skywalk" that is the closest to Las Vegas.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 AM

3,232 posts, read 8,120,963 times
There is also a lot of National Forest land to explore to the west of the visitors center with tons of free camping and great views if you are interested in a more roughing it approach.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:54 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,677,593 times
We will actually be going to both, so it will be interesting to see what the difference is. Just looking at maps and such, the S. Rim area seems more developed and what not.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:55 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,425,455 times
The South Rim is more people, development and cars. Also more view points and bigger views.
The North Rim is higher, cooler, much less developed, a better drive in, but smaller, more intimate views.

If someone was only going to get to one, I would suggest the South Rim, but for return trips definitely the North Rim.

That being said, I have spent over 100 days on the river thru the Grand Canyon and that is by far the best!!!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 AM

77,808 posts, read 94,262,221 times
As you can see by the comments, it is all in the eyes of the beholder. Depending on what you want, both offer an experience you will never forget. I think you will be delighted with the less cars and traffic at the north rim. The best part of the north rim, because it isn't as close to Vegas, it just doesn't draw the crowds. I will admit, I haven't been to the north rim for decades, but have the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel