Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:05 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,033,667 times

Advertisements

The story about Malcolm X's grandson being murdered seem to imply that it started with a night out that resulted in a $1,200 bar tab. Not 1,200 pesos, but United States dollars. Some comments on news sites said that many 3rd-world countries (and certain neighborhoods in "wealthier" nations) have a habit of giving insane bills at bars to foreigners and threatening to injure or kill them if they did not pay the bills.

Does this really happen? Has it occurred to you personally? Or anyone you know?

Someone in the comments section suggested that one always pay with an American Express card because the punks will think that they got paid but when you get out of there safely, you just tell AMEX what happened and they wouldn't pay. Is this an accurate assessment?

Just wondering about your experiences/anecdotes! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
The better idea is to use common sense and not travel to areas or eat in restaurants/drink in bars where this can be an issue.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
Having lived in Mexico City there is a HONOR system re a bar tab be it a Small or Large place.

This was also true when I visited Acapulco 3-4 times a yr.

Not sure of the story being truthfull as I'm skeptical based upon my past experiences.

EDIT: When visiting a place we always ordered a LTR of Rum for the table......poured our own drinks while the waiter brought us bottles of Cola.......and YES they also had BEER of which other customers would drink if so desired.....all a matter of taste.
These were small places with recorded music and LIVE band on weekends.......the whole Enchilada and Never any Graft.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 05-14-2013 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: dditional Info

Old 05-14-2013, 10:39 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,517,520 times
Thankfully I have no personal stories, although I have heard first hand accounts from friends who were in Eastern Europe. Apparently a scam over there is for a pretty woman to start talking with you at a bar, so you start buying her a few drinks. The woman is really in cahoots with the bar. After a while when it's time to leave, the bartender gives you the bill an the drinks were all $50 each or some other ridiculous amount. If you start to protest or cause a scene, a couple of massive goons make it clear that you'd better pay if you don't want to leave on a stretcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Someone in the comments section suggested that one always pay with an American Express card because the punks will think that they got paid but when you get out of there safely, you just tell AMEX what happened and they wouldn't pay. Is this an accurate assessment?
I don't know if there's anything special about AMEX, but you should be able to initiate a charge back with any credit card. The card company will do a little investigation and reverse the charge. I imagine they would consider that you only signed the bar tab under duress, as you were essentially being robbed.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Yes, it is quite common of a "scam." Istanbul, is a prime example of where it occurs quite often; although there are plenty of other cities where it occurs. The general scam goes along something like this:

USUALLY, its a single male traveling. Another male who lives in the country hits the guy up for a cigarette and small talk ensues. He invites the patsy back to a bar for a few drinks. Once at the bar, a few very pretty women show up and the drinks start flowing. Patsy is then given an outrageous bar tab and if he doesn't pay it, yes they are threatened with violence, etc. Many people do pay it, cough up a credit card, or go to the ATM.

I'd suggest people do some reading on these traveling scams. There are tons of websites outlining them. Also, Tripadvisor has lists of the scams too.

World's Worst Travel Scams - Articles | Travel + Leisure

Tourist Scams and Rip-Offs in Europe by Rick Steves

"The Attractive Flirt: A single male traveler is approached by a gorgeous woman on the street. After chatting for a while, she seductively invites him for a drink at a nearby nightclub. But when the bill arrives, it's several hundred dollars more than he expected. Only then does he notice the burly bouncers guarding the exits. There are several variations on this scam. Sometimes, the scam artist is disguised as a lost tourist; in other cases, it's simply a gregarious local person who (seemingly) just wants to show you his city. Either way, be suspicious when invited for a drink by someone you just met; if you want to go out together, suggest a bar (or café) of your choosing instead."

Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
The guy frequented a sex club, the type which is notorious for such overcharging. He was a low-life criminal not worthy of much discussion, IMO. Do other people face the same situation ... excessive charges? Yes. The foolish. The ignorant. People who like to tempt fate.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,040,657 times
That's why i always pay right after every drink in these kind of clubs/bars.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
sounds like it might be enjoyable for a person proficient in martial arts and well built to purposely go to these places and then kick some ass.. part of me would enjoy doing this... kicking some low life butt and taking out the trash...

Old 05-16-2013, 09:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Yeah, OK Chuck Norris. You can kick the ass of six armed goons ready to slice and dice you. Have fun with that.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:05 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,900 times
I've only ever had the opposite happen - bars screwing up and charging me less (or giving me too much money back).

Some bar in Costa Rica gave me too much back after I paid. I gave them 10,000 colones to pay my tab, which was just 5,000 (about $10) and they gave me back 15,000 colones ($30). Must have thought I'd given them a 20,000 I guess. lol

Also some bar here in Lansing botched my bill not too long ago as well. I had like 5 drinks and the total was only $7. Drinks were $2-$3 each, so I think they just forgot to enter some of them onto my tab.

Last edited by JoulesMSU; 05-16-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel