Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 01:37 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,082,196 times

Advertisements

We ended up having to cancel Vegas in October, so my wife and I made a last minute decision to return to Manhattan for our 1st anniversary. We have already done the major tourist attractions, so it should be a different kind of trip.

What are your favourite things to do in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,291,616 times
Since you are staying in Manhattan for your anniversary, Try the boathouse cafe in central park. Take a afternoon stroll up in Fort Tryon Park there is a beautiful little resturant in that park as well. Visit all of the small gallery's and shops that are popping up on Orchard Street on the Lower East Side, Take in a Show at Lincoln Center. Get exercise if you want and walk over the Brooklyn Bridge and dine at the River cafe for dinner. have the best 'in my opinion' lox on a bagel at Russ and Daughters on Houston Street for breakfast. 'Writing this makes me want to take a staycation myself! LOL!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Since you are staying in Manhattan for your anniversary, Try the boathouse cafe in central park. Take a afternoon stroll up in Fort Tryon Park there is a beautiful little resturant in that park as well. Visit all of the small gallery's and shops that are popping up on Orchard Street on the Lower East Side, Take in a Show at Lincoln Center. Get exercise if you want and walk over the Brooklyn Bridge and dine at the River cafe for dinner. have the best 'in my opinion' lox on a bagel at Russ and Daughters on Houston Street for breakfast. 'Writing this makes me want to take a staycation myself! LOL!
Thanks for the tips! We are really hoping to enjoy the city more like locals this time around and your suggestions are great start.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 PM

43,352 posts, read 44,062,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
I suggest after walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, go for a stroll along the Brooklyn Heights Promenade.

Also I suggest taking a ride on the Roosevelt Island Tram for a great view of Manhattan's east side. Afterwards, you can stroll along the Roosevelt Island's short promenade.

Another option would be to go to Queens and visit the Museum of the Moving Image and eat at one of the great restaurants in Astoria (where the museum is located).

Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 PM

134 posts, read 223,863 times
I second the Boathouse in Central Park - you can also rent a small rowboat for not much money, and just tool around on the water on a nice day - maybe bring lunch on the boat with you. You can get some great photos of Manhattan from out in the middle of the water - from a completely different perspective than usual.

Another place I'd suggest for food (breakfast, mostly) is the Popover Cafe Popover Caf on the upper west side - amazing popovers, good coffee, relatively inexpensive, a good place to start your day.

Travel safe!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,910,049 times
I'd suggest spending a good chunk of one day in the Bronx, combining the Botanical Gardens, Bronx Zoo (1 mile apart), and miles away, have a fabulous dinner in NYC's 2nd Little Italy, the neighborhood called Belmont. 187th has great choices, as does Arthur Ave (crosstreet). Fordham Road 190th, has the Gardens on one side perpendicular to it, the Zoo on the other (to help you judge distance).

The Edgar Allen Poe cottage is also nearby.

The Edgar Allan Poe Cottage

Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,357,617 times
As a Manhattanite who lives in the Murray Hill/Grammercy Park area:

Madison Square Park - Good architecture to view, being situated next to the flatiron building, with views to Empire state. There is lawn space and they currently have art/sculpture exhibits. Eating wise, there is Shake Shack (beware of the long lines) or Eataly, which is Batali's Food Emporium/Restaurant Hall.

Union Square Park - 15min walk down from Madison Square park. Not as park-y but bustling with good activity and farmers market on certain days. Lots of restaurants in the vicinity (Union Square Cafe, Grammercy Tavern, Craft Bar, etc), though i consistantly eat at Republic.

Brooklyn Bridge and Jersey- I endorse suggestions walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, hanging out in Dumbo. For a unique experience head out to Hoboken, NJ. There are piers with open lawn areas that jet out and provide wide uniterrupted view of the Manhattan skyline. Cake Boss bakery is close by. Getting there is easy via the NJ Path. From Hoboken, you have options to take the Path back to lower or midtown Manhattan, or a Water Taxi down to Battery Park.

Meatpacking - Getting a little touristy, but the High line park is unique, close to Chelsea Market (crowd alert) and decent eating.

Gastropubs - Ongoing restaurant trend in NYC which i like, but your mileage may vary. Resto, The Breslin, Spotted Pig to name a few.

Sample or Warehouse Sales - If you are into fashion, google it to see if any designers are having any events. You'll see everything from Barneys, Jcrew, Theory etc.. Its a mess because as there is limited to no dressing areas so you'll be stripping in the aisles or a big room w/no walls; but there are good deals abound.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 AM

Thanks again for all the tips! Now we're just hoping for good weather... Either way we'll have an excellent time. NYC never fails to impress.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 AM

22,634 posts, read 14,879,135 times
I was delighted and amazed when I visited the Tenement Museum in the lower east side of Manhattan. It interprets the lives of poor European immigrants during the second half of the 19th Century, first the Irish, then the Jews, then the Italians and finally the Hispanics and Asians. Fascinating, educational ... and entertaining!

Walk around Greenwich Village. Have lunch in a sidewalk cafe. See the Stonewall, referenced in Pres. Obama's Inaugaral Address, where the Gay Liberation Movement started in 1969.

Have you taken the free Staten Island ferry?

Have you walked across the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn?

Also ... Ground Zero, the 9/11 memorial ... World Trade Center 1 has now 'topped out' and is near completion!

Old 05-17-2013, 05:49 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,265,389 times
Do you have any particular interests? Art, music, food, activities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel