Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:36 AM

419 posts, read 656,406 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to fly into Jacksonville or Orlando when traveling from the Northwest????? Since we are traveling throughout the state final destination does not matter in this case.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 07:42 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Orlando Generally has cheaper flights into it. MCO has more price sensitive leisure travelers.

But check both cities (also you might want to check Tampa ) But do the whole math on the tickets some deep discount airlines (Sprit & Allegiant Charge for everything so there ticket price might be less, but when you add in everything else its not.)

Old 05-12-2013, 07:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I"d look at MCO, TPA, FLL, JAX, MIA, and WPI--depending one when you are traveling, any of them might offer the best pricing. What are your possible dates of travel?

Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
Orlando (MCO). I fly in and out of the Fla a lot (from the PNW) and MCO is pretty much always cheaper. You can get direct flights as well, which is nice though not cheaper of course.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:59 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Orlando Generally has cheaper flights into it. MCO has more price sensitive leisure travelers.

But check both cities (also you might want to check Tampa ) But do the whole math on the tickets some deep discount airlines (Sprit & Allegiant Charge for everything so there ticket price might be less, but when you add in everything else its not.)

Be careful. Some of the discount carriers (not Southwest) fly into Orlando-Sanford Airport which is 30 miles outside the city as opposed to Orlando International Airport.

Tampa also tend to be one of the cheapest options but not for Jacksonville.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:39 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Be careful. Some of the discount carriers (not Southwest) fly into Orlando-Sanford Airport which is 30 miles outside the city as opposed to Orlando International Airport.

Tampa also tend to be one of the cheapest options but not for Jacksonville.
I believe they are planning on renting a car and driving around the state. If this is the case, then there is no reason to avoid Sanford.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:58 PM

Yep, that is our plan - to drive around the state so as long as airport has rental cars I'm good. So airport is not the issues. I have seen so many articles about flying into Orlando and I see Jacksonville, which I would think would be a straight shot from the Pacific Northwest (pardon me if I'm incorrect since I am not a flyer). So I thought "Why wouldn't Jax be cheaper?????

Old 05-12-2013, 02:13 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Depending on your timing. One thing to keep in mind. Just about every airport add airport fees on to the rental cars.

If your plan is to Fly in, and go to a hotel on arrival. It might be better to have a rental car delivered to the hotel. If the hotel is off-airport, (or more the X miles from it). The Airport charges are not included. Cause you did not pick up the car at the airport. The fees are on where you pick it up, not drop it, so you can drop it back at the airport on the way out.

Btw: AlaskaAir has non/stop from SEA-MCO. But there will not be many non/stop to most FL cities from P-NW. You will need to connect somewhere.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
Does anyone know if it is cheaper to fly into Jacksonville or Orlando when traveling from the Northwest????? Since we are traveling throughout the state final destination does not matter in this case.

Thanks in advance.
Another option may be to fly into Florida and fly out of a NON-Florida city. Alamo is offering a $9,99 one way per day to get cars out of Florida.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Depending on your timing. One thing to keep in mind. Just about every airport add airport fees on to the rental cars.

If your plan is to Fly in, and go to a hotel on arrival. It might be better to have a rental car delivered to the hotel. If the hotel is off-airport, (or more the X miles from it). The Airport charges are not included. Cause you did not pick up the car at the airport. The fees are on where you pick it up, not drop it, so you can drop it back at the airport on the way out.

Btw: AlaskaAir has non/stop from SEA-MCO. But there will not be many non/stop to most FL cities from P-NW. You will need to connect somewhere.
Thanks for that. When we flew (first time in 20 years for me) last year down to CA, we went on Alaska. Would like to stick with them and the non-stop - that is what I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel