Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times

Advertisements

When I was living in Europe I always found advertisements of the few major travel agencies. In the UK they were the Thomas Cook, Thomson, First Choice. They normally had their own airlines and always offered very cheap last minute all inclusive deals to fill up their airplanes and pre-booked hotels.
Now I am living in California and planning on a vacation. Maybe Hawaii or Thailand or some other Pacific or South East Asian destination.

Who are the largest travel agencies with their own charter flights or airlines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
When I was living in Europe I always found advertisements of the few major travel agencies. In the UK they were the Thomas Cook, Thomson, First Choice. They normally had their own airlines and always offered very cheap last minute all inclusive deals to fill up their airplanes and pre-booked hotels.
Now I am living in California and planning on a vacation. Maybe Hawaii or Thailand or some other Pacific or South East Asian destination.

Who are the largest travel agencies with their own charter flights or airlines?

The ONLY one that I have been aware of over the years was Morris Travel which owned Morris Air. The travel agency was based in Salt Lake City, UT and had significant local clients including the LDS Church. The airline was formed in 1992 due to lawsuits from Delta Airlines and sold to Southwest Airline at the end of 1993.

Travel agencies (brick and mortar) are pretty much gone today. The few that are still in business generally handle either a lot of corporate clients OR a niche market that requires a lot of planning.

The ONLY travel agency that I am aware that owns properties is Carlson Wagonlit. Carlson controls the Radisson and Country Inn and Suites franchises. They also own the TGIF franchise. They also have an interest in a couple of cruise ships.

I do NOT think that this is really relevant. I do not think that MOST CORPORATE CLIENTS would allow Carlson Wagonlit to steer their business to Radisson as most corporate travelers are chasing thie loyalty points from Hilton/Marriott/Starwood/Hyatt.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The ONLY one that I have been aware of over the years was Morris Travel which owned Morris Air. The travel agency was based in Salt Lake City, UT and had significant local clients including the LDS Church. The airline was formed in 1992 due to lawsuits from Delta Airlines and sold to Southwest Airline at the end of 1993.

Travel agencies (brick and mortar) are pretty much gone today. The few that are still in business generally handle either a lot of corporate clients OR a niche market that requires a lot of planning.

The ONLY travel agency that I am aware that owns properties is Carlson Wagonlit. Carlson controls the Radisson and Country Inn and Suites franchises. They also own the TGIF franchise. They also have an interest in a couple of cruise ships.

I do NOT think that this is really relevant. I do not think that MOST CORPORATE CLIENTS would allow Carlson Wagonlit to steer their business to Radisson as most corporate travelers are chasing thie loyalty points from Hilton/Marriott/Starwood/Hyatt.
yes, most people who travel for business do insist on continuing using the hotels, and airlines that help them build up even more points. Our son travels about 70% of the time and always stays at one particular chain, or maybe a couple; he also flies one airline when he can. He doesn't care who books the reservations for him.

What the OP is looking for, is something in the past. In fact, as you mention, there are very few large Travel Agencies around anymore. Most are home based, even the large corporations. There are a couple I can think of, one being CruiseOne, which does a lot more than cruises, but they are not affiliated with any airline, hotel chain or anything else. There are other large agencies as well. With todays technology the store front agencies are a thing of the past.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What the OP is looking for, is something in the past. In fact, as you mention, there are very few large Travel Agencies around anymore. Most are home based, even the large corporations. There are a couple I can think of, one being CruiseOne, which does a lot more than cruises, but they are not affiliated with any airline, hotel chain or anything else. There are other large agencies as well. With todays technology the store front agencies are a thing of the past.
Most AMERICAN travelers want travel agents to book to THEIR preferences, not the travel agent's. Personally, I was forced to use Carlson-Wagonlit for a while and would not accept it if they steered me to a Radisson.

Now if I was booking a trip to Sofia or Kiev, I might be more amenable to a travel agent's recommendation.

In that I was using Eaasy Sabre as early as 1992, I do not think that I will ever use a travel agent.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
The only big travel agency I can think of is AAA. They are not primarily a travel agency, but they do perform travel agency tasks like booking tours, motels, transportation.

It is much too expensive to run charter flight tours in the USA. Law requires a bond large enough to refund every penny of every passenger on the tour if there is any sort of glitch and the flight does not happen. Most travel agencies are not big enough to have those sort of resources.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:27 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,115 times
Liberty Travel is a pretty big agency too. They just opened a location in Southern CA I think. They don't have planes of their own, but they do have last minute deals, all-inclusives, etc.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
Liberty Travel is a pretty big agency too. They just opened a location in Southern CA I think. They don't have planes of their own, but they do have last minute deals, all-inclusives, etc.

Places like Funjet and Apple Vacations BOOK a lot of charters but they do not operate the actual flights which is done through a third party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel