Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 04:41 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I completely agree with you. Last time I went to Disneyworld was right after Thanksgiving; the first week of December. Longest I waited for ANY ride was 7-10 mins. I booked an 8 day trip with the wife and after 4 days, we had seen everything. Many rides we didn't even get off, just kept riding, and riding, until we got tried of it.
I've seen that much of the ride refurbishing will occur during these "slow" periods. Do you recall the number of rides that may have been out of service and/or unavailable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 06:15 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've seen that much of the ride refurbishing will occur during these "slow" periods. Do you recall the number of rides that may have been out of service and/or unavailable?
That is what we ran into during the slow times so it is a trade-off. There are also less activities that happen during this time and the transportation doesn't run as frequently. Check park hours too which are shortened. The best trip we took was in the heat of summer since there were more activities happening and the park sometimes announced it would be staying open longer. They have schedules you can check to see which rides won't be operating during your stay and if you have favorites, this is worth looking at.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
Very rarely do they close the major rides and shows for long, if they do at all. The parades and firework shows are still operational. In other words its not like your visiting a ghost town during slow periods. If you check the Disney boards you can probably find out what attractions may be closed.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
We went to Epcot in early October a few years ago midweek. They were begging us to ride the rides. We've done the same in mid-January midweek to the Magic Kingdom--it's a ghost town.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:29 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
This has been a discussion among a few of us at work the last few years........would $100 be a price point where Disney starts to become an unattractive option for the family. Well we are at $100 with taxes now and that does not include the parking fee.

I realize the expense these parks have to run but for a family of four to drop $400 for what can be an exhausting day.......and then pay up for rooms and meals can easily make that a $700 day.

I have friends that have spent a small fortune to bring their 2 - 3 year olds for a few days.

I hope to take my girls in a few years to Knotts Berry Farms before their first Disney experience.....I still love the small parks.

For those of us who visited Disney over the years it sure is sticker shock! My first visit was to Disneyland when I was 5......I don't remember to much, but I do remember being visually overwhelmed

Old 06-07-2013, 01:36 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We went to Epcot in early October a few years ago midweek. They were begging us to ride the rides. We've done the same in mid-January midweek to the Magic Kingdom--it's a ghost town.

We took my sister in law to Disney several years back.....midweek in October. There were nooooooo lines anywhere. I remember telling her more than once that some of the rides usually had hour waits.

We were blown away.....and she didn't know any better. I will never forget that day....just walking up and getting on all the rides in just minutes...if that

Old 06-09-2013, 01:41 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Been a while since i've been to Disney, i think the last time we went tickets were under $30 a piece. Now the kids are grown up we dont need to go there anymore
$95 is way out of my price range as when food and parking and gas to drive there from St Pete is all factored in for a family of 4 you looking at a $600 day.
If you are a Florida resident, you can go for four days for about $130 per person. They only offer it periodically, and the last promotion period just ended, but keep your eyes open next winter if you want to go. That's the only way we go, and we stay offsite.

Also, in regards to lines: We kind of have it down to a science because we've been often enough, but if you use the FastPass system correctly, you don't wait in line at all. It does take some crisscrossing through the parks when it's busy, though. We'll wait up to 15 or 20 minutes, but if the wait is longer than that, then we simply get a FastPass (the system is free with admission) and come back later when the ticket tells us to. We always get on all of the big attractions with just about no waiting at all.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
If I recall, at that time, nothing was closed. That was 2007 though, so I have no clue what its like now. I remember flying in from SFO on a Sunday night. We didn't get to the motel until about 5 or 6 and the park was open until 8. We had been to Disneyworld several times before, but not in a long time. Our kids were much older by 2007 and we did one of those "on our own trips."

So, we decided since we had tickets, we'd go to the park that night and just look around. Figured we wouldn't even get on a ride. In 2 hours, we got on most everything. I was quite shocked.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:49 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
There is NOTHING in disneyland I need, nor do they offer the entertainment that can be gotten a million other places for that money.
The illusion of paying that much is like buying a diamond ring , you've invested a lot into it but, once you had it a while it's not enough , the wanting it was the thrill .
( I don't wear rings, their stupid, they only attract those that want to steal them from you, like a fishing lure )
Point is people think that by spending a lot of money, others will appreciate it , but if they have nothing invested , sorry they just don't appreciate it.
I buy a toyota and you buy an escalade . We both have to obey the traffic laws You can't do any thing I can't do and if my toyota gets scratched it no big deal, but if you escalade gets a scuff, it's to the shop and polishing it out and using a rental car in the mean time. what's the point ?
Because you waste money on something makes it worth something?
If both cars are crushed you loose more than I do , How is that better ?
People have the most distorted sense of values, trying to keep up with some one else and for what?
Take your family camping , learn some survival skills , something they will appreciate in years to come ,something that takes some individual effort and investment .

Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
There is NOTHING in disneyland I need, nor do they offer the entertainment that can be gotten a million other places for that money.
The illusion of paying that much is like buying a diamond ring , you've invested a lot into it but, once you had it a while it's not enough , the wanting it was the thrill .
( I don't wear rings, their stupid, they only attract those that want to steal them from you, like a fishing lure )
Point is people think that by spending a lot of money, others will appreciate it , but if they have nothing invested , sorry they just don't appreciate it.
I buy a toyota and you buy an escalade . We both have to obey the traffic laws You can't do any thing I can't do and if my toyota gets scratched it no big deal, but if you escalade gets a scuff, it's to the shop and polishing it out and using a rental car in the mean time. what's the point ?
Because you waste money on something makes it worth something?
If both cars are crushed you loose more than I do , How is that better ?
People have the most distorted sense of values, trying to keep up with some one else and for what?
Take your family camping , learn some survival skills , something they will appreciate in years to come ,something that takes some individual effort and investment .
What is a lot of money to you might be pocket change to the next person.

What people choose to spend discretionary money on is subjective--and again greatly determined by the amount of money they have left at the end of the paycheck.

By the way--camping? No thanks. I sleep under five stars, not five million. I prefer to spend my vacation money traveling to far away places instead of a denser version of the trees in my backyard. There are just so many times you can say, "Oh look, it's an oak tree." I'd rather gasp at the Great Pyramids, marvel at the beauty of the art of the masters in Italy, or lay on a beach on a remote motu in French Polynesia. Camp all you want, but the reality is that I'll be the one seeing the world while you look at another tree.

My vacation "investment" is far more involved than you'll ever have loading up the camping gear and driving to yet another state park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel