Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 10:44 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,895,570 times

Advertisements

I think TripAdvisor has stuck the 2 prices on me for the 2 hotels I want in Hampton Roads. I think TA decided what price I'll pay and won't offer me cheaper deals.

Is there a way to outsmart TA so it offers me cheaper deals (like they are no doubt doing for other users)?

I will call the hotels this week directly to see if I can bargin down.

I don't want to do the biddingbuddy sites as I want specific hotels due to the area safety.

Lastly, have you booked through Goodshop and can you share experiences?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:13 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,730,417 times
Try Booking.com.

I used them quite a bit on a trip last fall and was very pleased with everything about it.

Booking.com: 313,054 hotels worldwide. 21+ million hotel reviews.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I think TripAdvisor has stuck the 2 prices on me for the 2 hotels I want in Hampton Roads. I think TA decided what price I'll pay and won't offer me cheaper deals.

Is there a way to outsmart TA so it offers me cheaper deals (like they are no doubt doing for other users)?

I will call the hotels this week directly to see if I can bargin down.

I don't want to do the biddingbuddy sites as I want specific hotels due to the area safety.

Lastly, have you booked through Goodshop and can you share experiences?

Thanks!
Clear out all your cookies and try running the search again. Or use a different computer to do so. Many times these sites imbed a cookie to remember you are looking at site X. Therefore, the lower price won't show up when you re-run the search.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
trivago.com

Works great.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:40 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Go directly to the website for the hotel chain you want. You'll nearly ALWAYS get the cheapest price, especially if you have a AAA or AARP card.

Occasionally, one of the big boys (Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline) has some kind of special - but unless you are staying there for an extended period of time or the hotel is super expensive, it's not worth the hassle of checking. Unless you have lots of time on your hands.

Also - watch the cancellation policies.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:23 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Clear out all your cookies and try running the search again. Or use a different computer to do so. Many times these sites imbed a cookie to remember you are looking at site X. Therefore, the lower price won't show up when you re-run the search.
Good advice. Also, if you have a cell phone that is capable of doing a "hot spot" try that. I am in CA but when I am using the hot spot, it gives me an IP address that is in AZ so I have no issues with the sites thinking I am the same person doing the same search.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,895,570 times
Thanks everyone for your help. I got on a LiveChat with the Washington Posts' travel editors and they told me to book now now as the editors expect $$ to skyrocket as the summer progresses. I ended up booking directly with Marriot as the fees were a tiny bit cheaper.

I'm still watching tripadvisor (after I cleared cookies phil306 thx!) and only one hotel popped up slightly since then.

Thanks y'all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel